Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VC] NVIDIA updates GeForce GTX 780 to GHz Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VC] NVIDIA updates GeForce GTX 780 to GHz Edition - Page 25

post #241 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

I agree. I never understood why 2010rig and others gave AMD a hard time for the 7970's price? It demolished the then-King GTX 580; the price had nothing to do with the 6970. Remember that the 7970 launched in Dec 2011 and remained the fastest single-GPU card on the market (at max OC anyway) until the Titan launched in Feb of this year. It was and remains a great video card...

Perhaps because we constantly hear how AMD is all about Price / Performance, AMD loves their customers and would never charge them too much. rolleyes.gif Don't forget that it was AMD who crossed the $500 mark for highend cards this gen.

7970 was on a brand new architecture on 28nm, and it beat a 580 on 40nm, Congrats AMD, that's quite the accomplishment? If it was, NVIDIA wouldn't have been able to keep up with it with their mid-range GPU on the same process. You do remember how you were adamant that no GK110 chip existed, and that this was NVIDIA's new highend strategy, right? rolleyes.gif

Anyway, when the 680 launched it was faster than the 7970, which forced AMD to price drop which took 3 weeks to take effect. AMD needed the GHZ edition and new drivers to retake the crown.

I didn't like the fact that NVIDIA was able to get away with selling GK104 for $400 / $500 respectively, where in the previous gen GF104 got sold for $249. During the Fermi days, AMD put more pressure on NVIDIA, this gen, NVIDIA has been laughing all the way to the bank.

Specs wise, the 780 is comparable to the 7970, yet the 780 is around 30% faster. Tell me, how is the 7970 impressive again? It trades blows or is slightly faster than NVIDIA's 3rd best card.

I don't know how many times I've heard that the 7970 DESTROYS the 680 / 770. 1. It's competing against the competition's mid-range GPU. 2. When you look at the numbers, you realize they're trading blows with a slight edge going to the 7970 when OC'd. The term "destroys" would apply to Titan vs 7970 in my books.

I'm not saying that the 7970 is a bad card by any means, but it's not as impressive as some people make it out to be.

Competition is what drives prices down, like I've been saying for ages, just look at what has happened to the 780 prices the past few days thanks to the 290X.

Just imagine, if the 290X released back in February if AMD stuck to their yearly release schedule, you wouldn't have had to pay $1000 for a Titan.
Edited by 2010rig - 10/30/13 at 10:34pm
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #242 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Snip

Wouldn't it have been easier to say "Am a Nvidia Fan Boy, So I bash AMD every chance I get" thumb.gif Instead the wall of text = My head hurts.
post #243 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrapper View Post

Wouldn't it have been easier to say "Am a Nvidia Fan Boy, So I bash AMD every chance I get" thumb.gif Instead the wall of text = My head hurts.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."

Bashing is, believe it or not, actually a good thing and has always some truth in it.
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
Reply
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
Reply
post #244 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrapper View Post

Wouldn't it have been easier to say "Am a Nvidia Fan Boy, So I bash AMD every chance I get" thumb.gif Instead the wall of text = My head hurts.

He has some very valid points, just because you disagree with him doesn't make him a fanboy. I'll admit his attitude towards AMD isn't the most positive all the time but it doesn't make anything he just said false. And this is coming from someone who loves Tahiti and the 7970, always have, but I agree with him for the most part. Though the thing about AMD and price/performance is more of their fanbase rather than them. Sure they tout the moniker when they're where they're at but if they could dictate the market as Nvidia does/is doing do you not think they would try and maximize profits just as Nvidia does? If they truly wouldn't then they have the wrong mindset to begin with. As said a thousand times before they're a business first and foremost.

I'm not partial either though lately my attitude towards Nvidia has been harsh, it wont stop me from getting 780s if the 290 doesn't meet my expectations or we don't see good OCing room with the later editions of the 290s. My attitude is like it is because of the way they're able to dictate the market like they've done and are doing. Though again that stems from lack of competition.
Green Envy
(12 items)
 
 
Purple Haze
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 EVGA 780 Classified EVGA 780 Classified  
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 WD Raptor Cooler Master Glacer 240L Windows 7 64-Bit Home premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Logitech G15 Seasonic 850w M12II Phantek Enthoo Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX EVGA 780 Classified 8Gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
WD 750Gb EK supremacy Clean CSQ Asus 23" Seasonic 12SII 850W Gold 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1600x Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX Diamond 7970 G Skill DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Black  Samsung 850 Evo  Cooler Master Glacer 240L Black Ice Nemesis L-Series 240 Stealth 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
EK-FC7970 CSQ Mayhems X1 UV Purple Corsair SF600 Fractal Design Define S Nano  
  hide details  
Reply
Green Envy
(12 items)
 
 
Purple Haze
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 EVGA 780 Classified EVGA 780 Classified  
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 WD Raptor Cooler Master Glacer 240L Windows 7 64-Bit Home premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Logitech G15 Seasonic 850w M12II Phantek Enthoo Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX EVGA 780 Classified 8Gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
WD 750Gb EK supremacy Clean CSQ Asus 23" Seasonic 12SII 850W Gold 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1600x Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX Diamond 7970 G Skill DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Black  Samsung 850 Evo  Cooler Master Glacer 240L Black Ice Nemesis L-Series 240 Stealth 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
EK-FC7970 CSQ Mayhems X1 UV Purple Corsair SF600 Fractal Design Define S Nano  
  hide details  
Reply
post #245 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post

When the 680 launched it was faster than the 7970.  It took AMD a while to get proper drivers for it (actually I think they may still be working on it).

At max OC the 7970 was still faster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Perhaps because we constantly hear how AMD is all about Price / Performance, AMD loves their customers and would never charge them too much. rolleyes.gif Don't forget that it was AMD who crossed the $500 mark for highend cards this gen.

7970 was on a brand new architecture on 28nm, and it beat a 580 on 40nm, Congrats AMD, that's quite the accomplishment? If it was, NVIDIA wouldn't have been able to keep up with it with their mid-range GPU on the same process. You do remember how you were adamant that no GK110 chip existed, and that this was NVIDIA's new highend strategy, right? rolleyes.gif

...And you're confusing me with someone else because I don't remember ever saying that GK110 didn't exist. I mean, in March of 2012 it didn't, and it wouldn't be another 8 months before it would. GK104 was released as the 680 not because Nvidia could get away with it but because it was all they HAD to compete with the 7970 due to the scrubbing of GK100. They were really just lucky that it did manage to compete with Tahiti, though if the 7970 had performed to the levels that it does today the 680 would never have competed with it.

Btw, I'm sure if AMD had been able to release the 290X earlier they would have but releasing one of the biggest dies ever in their history was something they understandably wanted to take their time with. Besides, I don't begrudge AMD for me having to pay $1k for each of my Titans. The flip side of an outlandishly expensive item is that it buys you exclusivity... wink.gif
Edited by Majin SSJ Eric - 10/30/13 at 11:55pm
post #246 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrapper View Post

Wouldn't it have been easier to say "Am a Nvidia Fan Boy, So I bash AMD every chance I get" thumb.gif Instead the wall of text = My head hurts.

Wouldn't it be easier to not read the wall of text, if reading makes your head hurt?

I'm not bashing AMD, I'm giving my opinion of why I don't see the 7970 as impressive as others do, when it's being compared to 680/770. Around here, you have to explain your point of view in detail, because people assume anything negative towards AMD = AMD bashing.

I'll let you in on a little secret, parts of my post are addressing AMD's fanbase, not AMD itself.

If I'm such an NVIDIA fanboy why have I refused to buy their overpriced cards until now?

Heck, I almost bought a 7970 when the amazing price drops started happening, then I had to remind myself of my primary uses and it was a no go.

Hope that wasn't too much for you to read, wouldn't want to give you a migraine. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

At max OC the 7970 was still faster...
...And you're confusing me with someone else because I don't remember ever saying that GK110 didn't exist. I mean, in March of 2012 it didn't, and it wouldn't be another 8 months before it would. GK104 was released as the 680 not because Nvidia could get away with it but because it was all they HAD to compete with the 7970 due to the scrubbing of GK100. They were really just lucky that it did manage to compete with Tahiti, though if the 7970 had performed to the levels that it does today the 680 would never have competed with it.

Btw, I'm sure if AMD had been able to release the 290X earlier they would have but releasing one of the biggest dies ever in their history was something they understandably wanted to take their time with. Besides, I don't begrudge AMD for me having to pay $1k for each of my Titans. The flip side of an outlandishly expensive item is that it buys you exclusivity... wink.gif

Please don't make me dig up posts, didn't you say something along the lines that GK104 was NVIDIA's new highend strategy? I know we "debated" a lot that GK104 wasn't the TRUE successor to the 580. Heck, you even gave me and Alatar a shoutout in your 7970 vs Titan thread. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

They are simply the finest video cards I've ever owned owing almost completely to the marvelous GK110 GPU they're packing. With Kepler Nvidia really outdid themselves, improving vastly upon Fermi, an architecture I still adore. While they were able to remain competitive with Tahiti utilizing their small-die GK104 chip in the GTX 680, many of us enthusiasts knew that one day they would release the true GF110 successor and when that day came I knew I would have to have it (yes, yes 2010rig/Alatar, I said it).

Edited by 2010rig - 10/31/13 at 12:29am
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #247 of 307
The regular 290 might actually be a good buy for you...
post #248 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

At max OC the 7970 was still faster...
...And you're confusing me with someone else because I don't remember ever saying that GK110 didn't exist. I mean, in March of 2012 it didn't, and it wouldn't be another 8 months before it would. GK104 was released as the 680 not because Nvidia could get away with it but because it was all they HAD to compete with the 7970 due to the scrubbing of GK100. They were really just lucky that it did manage to compete with Tahiti, though if the 7970 had performed to the levels that it does today the 680 would never have competed with it.

I guess I need to pay better attention to the GPUs I get. I didn't notice much / any difference gaming between my max OC 7970 Lightning@ 1300 vs my max OC 680 Lightning @ 1437mhz.

That 7970L was the only descent 7970 I had out of 3. The other two were kinda meh, 1175 max OC, and 1080mhz max OC.
post #249 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

The regular 290 might actually be a good buy for you...

I don't buy Reference cards, since I'm not into Water Cooling, and I want my system to be as quiet as possible ( hence all those Noctua fans ). If I switch to AMD, it means getting on board with Adobe CC, which I really don't want to yet.

It's not like I can buy a 7970 or 290, fire up Premiere CS6 and be on my way.

I know I've said it a lot of times here before, but I'll say it again, my 1st choice was an AMD card for my rig, when I found out it wasn't compatible with my primary uses I had no choice but to go down the NVIDIA route. If all I did was game like 99% of people here, it would be a totally different story for me.

I'm 100% certain that the 7970 would've be an amazing upgrade for me, IF it worked in Premiere CS6.
Edited by 2010rig - 10/31/13 at 12:24am
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #250 of 307
I've had four 7970's. two Lightnings and two Sapphire Dual X's. The Lightnings would do nearly 1300MHz and at that clock would beat any of the early 680's if memory serves. Its true that once MSI released the 680 Lightning things changed a bit as the early models enjoyed voltage control but that was something that Nvidia quickly put an end to....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VC] NVIDIA updates GeForce GTX 780 to GHz Edition