Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › G-Synch question : Lightboost or Turbo240 with frame rate under 60fps can be run ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G-Synch question : Lightboost or Turbo240 with frame rate under 60fps can be run ?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Lightboost and the new Turbo240 can be run with at least 100Hz refresh rate right ?

1 ) The next G-Synch solution should change dynamically the refresh rate of the monitors so what happen if the game will run for example at 45-50fps ? Lightboost stop to run ?

2 ) With a modern monitor with Lightboost and new Turbo240 by Eizo when game run under 120fps i can set only in-game the Vsynch to 60fps ?
If not i should see tearing and stuttering ?
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna89 View Post

Lightboost and the new Turbo240 can be run with at least 100Hz refresh rate right ?

1 ) The next G-Synch solution should change dynamically the refresh rate of the monitors so what happen if the game will run for example at 45-50fps ? Lightboost stop to run ?

2 ) With a modern monitor with Lightboost and new Turbo240 by Eizo when game run under 120fps i can set only in-game the Vsynch to 60fps ?
If not i should see tearing and stuttering ?

1) G-SYNC monitors don't combine variable refresh rates AND strobing simultaneously (yet).
It's an "either-or" option:
G-SYNC mode: Variable refresh rate but not strobed (no LightBoost)
Strobe mode: Fixed refresh rate but strobed (reportedly at 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or 144Hz).

2) It depends on what strobe modes the monitor supports. LightBoost only really needed 100-120fps because LightBoost is vendor-limited to strobe at 100 to 120Hz, much like a CRT that's limited to operating at only 100 to 120Hz.

High frame rates on current strobed backlight monitors is a principle of motion clarity:
Low-persistence / impulse displays (strobe/flicker/phosphor/etc) such as Plasma, CRT, LightBoost, Turbo240, BENQ Motion Blur Reduction, etc.

Displays with very sharp motion clarity, means that motion blur is no longer hidden by stutters. Stutters are easier to see at higher framerates on impulse/strobed displays. So you want higher framerates than usual on ALL impulse driven displays (frame rate near refresh rate), to make motion look good. Viewing http://www.testufo.com on any strobed display, clearly illustrates that frame rates matching refresh rate, looks far better on these displays.

However, strobe backlights are not necessarily demanding on GPU, if lower strobe rates are supported (e.g. 60 strobes per second). The problem is fewer strobes per second causes flicker -- we hated 60Hz CRT's for this reason. It just primarily “visually appealing” with higher frame rates. Thus, that’s why we recommend 120fps@120Hz or 100fps@100Hz. (LightBoost is like a CRT limited to 100Hz to 120Hz). Fortunately, some upcoming strobed displays can strobe at lower rates such as 60Hz or 85Hz, so you have the option of running lower frame rates without motion blur, but with increased flicker. (120Hz flickers less than 85Hz or 60Hz). The big question is which of the new strobe backlights, supprot other refresh rates other than 100Hz and 120Hz? (unlike LightBoost). We'd love to see strobe backlights successfully emulate a 60Hz CRT, so we can run emulators and other lower-powered games.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
ok but if i usually play games little more than 60fps ?
post #4 of 9
Are you familiar with CRT's? The behavior of video game motion on strobe-backlight monitors, is quite similiar, whether you run at a lower or higher frame rate. CRT's looked worked best with game motion matching the refresh rate, and simply showed microstutters/tearing at higher or lower frame rates. It can still look pretty good.

If you play games with highly variable frame rates, you may wish to consider G-SYNC as that does wonders for smoothing motion on that.

The good thing is that the strobed modes can easily be enabled/disabled on all of these new monitors. So you can try both ways and turn a display's low-persistence mode (motion blur reduction strobing) such as LightBoost ON/OFF or Turbo240 ON/OFF, etc. And it also may happen that you might also end up liking the look of >100fps motion so much, that you upgrade your GPU, too.
Edited by mdrejhon - 11/1/13 at 4:28am
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
mdrejhon thank you for your answes but i need another simple answer :

I have a single card system OK ?
So will be hard for me to do a frame rate much more over 60fps .... i want to know if playing with inferior frame rate than 120 in these gaming monitors i can see tearing and stuttering or not ?

Now i play usually 60fps costant with Vsynch, playing under 120fps means disable vsynch and have variable frame rate ..... so .....

WHAT IS SMOOTHER ? :

PLAYING 60fps COSTANT WITH VSYNCH OR PLAYING WITH VARIABLE FRAMES ( around 60-80-90 ) WITHOUT VSYNCH BUT SHOWED IN A 120Hz MONITOR ???

Edited by senna89 - 11/1/13 at 5:40am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna89 View Post

WHAT IS SMOOTHER ? :

Generally (but not always, due to variances in game engines, other variables) --

Smoothest: 120fps@120Hz anything
Smoother: 60fps-80fps variable G-SYNC (not yet on the market)
Smooth: 60fps@60Hz VSYNC ON (with no drops to 30fps) -- smoother but a bit more input lag
Less smooth: 60fps-80fps VSYNC OFF variable on 120Hz -- unless you're sensitive to tearing
Least smooth: 30fps during VSYNC ON (e.g. you can't sustain 60fps@60Hz all the time).

So for variable framerates ~60fps, with a bigger focus on smoothness instead of latency, you're likely best:
(A) sticking to your 60Hz monitor
(B) or waiting to upgrading to G-SYNC which makes variable framerates smooth anywhere 30fps-144fps
(C) or waiting a few months to check if any of the strobe backlights operate at lower refresh rates, for zero motion blur (CRT effect) at less than 100Hz

For your situation, I would recommend waiting for a G-SYNC monitor in early 2014 because there's so many ways to make motion look so smooth looking. VSYNC ON, VSYNC OFF, G-SYNC mode, strobe mode, even traditional 60Hz/120Hz/144Hz -- G-SYNC monitors support all the above so you've got so many modes on a G-SYNC monitor.
Edited by mdrejhon - 11/1/13 at 7:19am
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post

Generally (but not always, due to variances in game engines, other variables) --

Smoothest: 120fps@120Hz anything
Smoother: 60fps-80fps variable G-SYNC (not yet on the market)
Smooth: 60fps@60Hz VSYNC ON (with no drops to 30fps) -- smoother but a bit more input lag
Less smooth: 60fps-80fps VSYNC OFF variable on 120Hz -- unless you're sensitive to tearing
Least smooth: 30fps during VSYNC ON (e.g. you can't sustain 60fps@60Hz all the time).

So for variable framerates ~60fps, with a bigger focus on smoothness instead of latency, you're likely best:
(A) sticking to your 60Hz monitor
(B) or waiting to upgrading to G-SYNC which makes variable framerates smooth anywhere 30fps-144fps
(C) or waiting a few months to check if any of the strobe backlights operate at lower refresh rates, for zero motion blur (CRT effect) at less than 100Hz

For your situation, I would recommend waiting for a G-SYNC monitor in early 2014 because there's so many ways to make motion look so smooth looking. VSYNC ON, VSYNC OFF, G-SYNC mode, strobe mode, even traditional 60Hz/120Hz/144Hz -- G-SYNC monitors support all the above so you've got so many modes on a G-SYNC monitor.

OK !!! Now finally everything is more clear and i understand.
Thank you for your answers smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Another question

Under 100-120fps is not possibile to use Lightboost or Turbo240 right ?

But if i use double vsynch ( 60fps ) i can have Lightboost / Turbo240 tecnologies run with 60fps of game ?
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna89 View Post

Another question
Under 100-120fps is not possibile to use Lightboost or Turbo240 right ?
That's not true...
Any framerate is possible with LightBoost and Turbo240
The corrected question is "Does it look good at less than 100 frames per second?"
The answer is "It plays fine, but it might not look as good as simply turning off LightBoost"

Fortunately these features can be

So generally:
If you play above 100fps -- turn on LightBoost to make motion look better
If you play far below that -- turn off LightBoost, as it may be preferable.
Personal preferences may vary. Some people prefer LightBoost even at 60fps.
Quote:
But if i use double vsynch ( 60fps ) i can have Lightboost / Turbo240 tecnologies run with 60fps of game ?
It works, but you will get the same kind of double-image effect that you get with 30fps@60Hz on plasmas/CRT's. The smoothness of G-SYNC will probably look better in these specific situations of double-digit variable frame rates far below LightBoost-worthy frame rates.

Also, it is possible that Turbo240 may support lower-frequency strobing; we need additional confirmations if Turbo240 can operate during 60Hz mode. I cannot be able to accurately answer questions for another month or two, when I've got the Eizo FG2421 in my hands (it's currently being shipped to me this month).
Edited by mdrejhon - 11/2/13 at 4:59pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › G-Synch question : Lightboost or Turbo240 with frame rate under 60fps can be run ?