Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Memory instability caused by incresead Aux Voltage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Memory instability caused by incresead Aux Voltage?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Does anyone else have this problem?

I did some tests with Battlefield 4 running Ultra preset 1080p with 200% resolution scale and FOV 120 to stress the gpu as much as possible and i found out that with stock voltage i can do 7000 Memory clock but if i increase the Aux Voltage by +30 i get artifacts.
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
You need to state what card you are talking about. We can't magically know what card you have and it isn't in your sig rig. It is much easier for people to help you if you have your rig in your sig.

Here's how you do it.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig/0_20

As for your problem, what software are you using? I assume Aux voltage is the core voltage, so are you increasing that, too?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

You need to state what card you are talking about. We can't magically know what card you have and it isn't in your sig rig. It is much easier for people to help you if you have your rig in your sig.

Here's how you do it.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig/0_20

As for your problem, what software are you using? I assume Aux voltage is the core voltage, so are you increasing that, too?

Aux voltage is only for Msi lightning and hawk cards and only is adjustable by msi afterburner. i didn't say what card i have because i didn't wanted to "lock" the discussion on one card but all that have aux voltage adjustable.

Aux Voltage itself increases the power the card draws from the pci lane for aditional stability. (in theory which is not the case with my card)

My card is the 7970 Lightning.
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
doh.gif I'm used to the term PEXVDD for the 780 Classy. If you are stable, then why would you need to increase it? I assume you want to push further, in which case. Do you have an option to increase the memory voltage?
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

doh.gif I'm used to the term PEXVDD for the 780 Classy. If you are stable, then why would you need to increase it? I assume you want to push further, in which case. Do you have an option to increase the memory voltage?

the thing is, why does it cause instability when i increase it while it was meant to give stability? thats what i wanted to know. and yes, there is a seperate memory voltage options.
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Are you experiencing stability issues? If not, then there is no need, it'll just generate more heat. It's just like with a CPU, just because you throw more voltage at it, it won't gain more stability. You have to fine tune the voltages to find what is best for you.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

Are you experiencing stability issues? If not, then there is no need, it'll just generate more heat. It's just like with a CPU, just because you throw more voltage at it, it won't gain more stability. You have to fine tune the voltages to find what is best for you.

yeah i know that. please don't give me the regular talk for less experienced people.

the whole point of this thread was not to get my clocks stable, but to get a comment from people that might have the same thing happening to them.

more volts may cause instability but its the increase in temp that causes this most of the time which is not the case for me. +30aux v do not increase my temps by even 1c, not on core, vrm or memory.
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2GHz 1.25v Asus Z77-A r9 280x 3GB Core 1000MHz 1.2v Memory 6000MHz 1.6v 2x 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 840 120GB Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" 1920x1080 68Hz Corsair AX860i 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Memory instability caused by incresead Aux Voltage?