Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › GTX 680 Overclocking Issue!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 680 Overclocking Issue!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey! Got some problems with overclocking my gtx 680. I have modified my bios using this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQtKmOL30U.

I´ve tried both 1,215 volts and 1.2 which im using right now. I got the powerlimit on 150%.

At first when i used 1.215 volts and got up to a overclock of +200 on the core and +510 on the memory, but whenever i started a game or a benchmark my screen got black for a few seconds and then the bench/game continued.

I alt+tab and check MSI Afterburner, there i see a huge peak in the power% which was at 170!! for just a sec there. I scroll down and check the core and memoryclocks, same thing there, i got the 1398 core clock for just a bit and 3515 memoryclock for a short while.

The rest of the benchmark my power% was around like 90-100% and my coreclock was pendling around 1150-1200mhz. The memory got down to 3005.

The same thing happened now when i used 1.2 volts, except for the huge peak on the power%, i didnt get one now.

Why is it downclocking like crazy? i have seen people get 1300+ coreclocks using stockvoltage and i cant even get past like 1200mhz.

Would really appreciate help here, am i doing something retardedly wrong?
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggaaaa View Post

Hey! Got some problems with overclocking my gtx 680. I have modified my bios using this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQtKmOL30U.

I´ve tried both 1,215 volts and 1.2 which im using right now. I got the powerlimit on 150%.

At first when i used 1.215 volts and got up to a overclock of +200 on the core and +510 on the memory, but whenever i started a game or a benchmark my screen got black for a few seconds and then the bench/game continued.

I alt+tab and check MSI Afterburner, there i see a huge peak in the power% which was at 170!! for just a sec there. I scroll down and check the core and memoryclocks, same thing there, i got the 1398 core clock for just a bit and 3515 memoryclock for a short while.

The rest of the benchmark my power% was around like 90-100% and my coreclock was pendling around 1150-1200mhz. The memory got down to 3005.

The same thing happened now when i used 1.2 volts, except for the huge peak on the power%, i didnt get one now.

Why is it downclocking like crazy? i have seen people get 1300+ coreclocks using stockvoltage and i cant even get past like 1200mhz.

Would really appreciate help here, am i doing something retardedly wrong?

What exact model of 680 are you using? Can you also give some details on your power supply? According to what you're saying, you're having very irregular power-surges that could hint to a bigger problem in your build.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Im using the reference MSI 680. I´ve got a 4 year old Corsair Vx 550w powersupply that never struggled before.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggaaaa View Post

Im using the reference MSI 680. I´ve got a 4 year old Corsair Vx 550w powersupply that never struggled before.

680 Reference cards are known to be very responsive to voltage changes, and a PSU that old may be failing on you. I doubt that, though, as that's a pretty good PSU. I can't really offer any productive advice personally, but I would try to keep the voltage at reference volts, and gradually OC, then bumping the voltage up ever-so-slightly till you reach satisfactory clocks.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie97 View Post

680 Reference cards are known to be very responsive to voltage changes, and a PSU that old may be failing on you. I doubt that, though, as that's a pretty good PSU. I can't really offer any productive advice personally, but I would try to keep the voltage at reference volts, and gradually OC, then bumping the voltage up ever-so-slightly till you reach satisfactory clocks.
Have tried a bunch of different clocks now and 1293mhz on the core and 6610 on the memory seems to be running fine. If i bump it any higher i get the black screen and the card downclocks.

I also notice that the power% is fairly high, around 120-140%, the peak was 142%. Is that because of the higher voltage? i may be able to reach these clocks on stockvoltage?

I guess that the problem is that the card exceeds the powerlimit and downclocks. To solve that i need to raise the powerpercentlimit ever further, but the guy on the youtube-guide didnt recomend it.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggaaaa View Post

Have tried a bunch of different clocks now and 1293mhz on the core and 6610 on the memory seems to be running fine. If i bump it any higher i get the black screen and the card downclocks.

I also notice that the power% is fairly high, around 120-140%, the peak was 142%. Is that because of the higher voltage? i may be able to reach these clocks on stockvoltage?

I guess that the problem is that the card exceeds the powerlimit and downclocks. To solve that i need to raise the powerpercentlimit ever further, but the guy on the youtube-guide didnt recomend it.

In that case, I would definitely get a new PSU. Stock voltages may allow you to reach those frequencies, but it would be equally unsafe as raising the voltage.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie97 View Post

In that case, I would definitely get a new PSU. Stock voltages may allow you to reach those frequencies, but it would be equally unsafe as raising the voltage.
Its really strange, sometimes it runs @1298mhz all the time and sometimes it clocks down and is pendling between 1150-1250.... i notice the fps difference in BF4 directly, it stutters alot more too.

anyways, going to get a new PSU because im considering buying either another 680 for SLI or two Powercolor 7970 for 611 dollars. Thoughts on that? worried about the microstuttering on the 7970:s :/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › GTX 680 Overclocking Issue!