Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [VN] New Human Body Part Discovered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VN] New Human Body Part Discovered. - Page 5

post #41 of 45
Thread Starter 
Can either of you explain why some cells regenerate every 7 years and other don't?

That's something I've been wondering for a while.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

Can either of you explain why some cells regenerate every 7 years and other don't?

That's something I've been wondering for a while.

I'm not sure on that either, the only things I can think of off the top of my head (no pun intended) are that brain cells don't regenerate which is why when people use inhalants and stuff that kill brain cells they literally end up being stupider every time.

Also I don't think some neurons regenerate based on my book saying they live to be 100 years older or more but I could be wrong on that.

Also as far as regenerate which is akin to healing I would imagine. Most cartilage is poorly vascularized (not much contact with blood vessels/blood) meaning it heals poorly or not at all which is why in reference to the knee when you tear your meniscus (fibrocartilage) it usually needs surgical repair in which they literally just cut out the damaged part so it doesn't effect the good tissue.
Edited by HardwareDecoder - 11/8/13 at 12:05pm
Gaming Machine
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Asus z77 P8Z77-LK V Sapphire 290x Sapphire 290x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill 4x4gb @ 1600mhz Samsung Evo 120gb Samsung Evo 120gb 2TB Seagate Game storage drive  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Raystorm CPU BLOCK EK Nickle/Acetal 290x Block  2x XSPC 240MM Radiator Windows 8.1  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix Evolution II  Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid  Cooler Master V1000 Fractal Arc Midi R2 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G400 steel series qck Logitech G430 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Machine
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Asus z77 P8Z77-LK V Sapphire 290x Sapphire 290x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill 4x4gb @ 1600mhz Samsung Evo 120gb Samsung Evo 120gb 2TB Seagate Game storage drive  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Raystorm CPU BLOCK EK Nickle/Acetal 290x Block  2x XSPC 240MM Radiator Windows 8.1  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix Evolution II  Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid  Cooler Master V1000 Fractal Arc Midi R2 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G400 steel series qck Logitech G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

I'm not sure on that either, the only things I can think of off the top of my head (no pun intended) are that brain cells don't regenerate which is why when people use inhalants and stuff that kill brain cells they literally end up being stupider every time.

Also I don't think some neurons regenerate based on my book saying they live to be 100 years older or more but I could be wrong on that.

Also as far as regenerate which is akin to healing I would imagine. Most cartilage is poorly vascularized (not much contact with blood vessels/blood) meaning it heals poorly or not at all which is why in reference to the knee when you tear your meniscus (fibrocartilage) it usually needs surgical repair in which they literally just cut out the damaged part so it doesn't effect the good tissue.

Neurons don't regenerate, for the most part. They can branch out new axons, new pathways and such. Regeneration as what you would see in another organ (not CNS/Brain) doesn't exist. They can't multiply either.

While cells regenerate, to heal, it's really minor damage. I believe Nerve cells have some of this function, they would almost have too. But this is different then when people talk about spinal regeneration or brain tissue regeneration. There were talking about the organ and it's regenerative ability. For the most part, if a cell gets seriously "injured" it's dead. What makes everything but nerve tissue unique, is it can multiply and divide! To say, you lose 50% of your liver and it'll come back just as healthy! Now, that may not happen ideally due to other factors but that is transplant amounts. (Note: That's also the best regeneration organ, sooooo yeah)

The thing is, when we suffer nerve damage like that, there is no real fix. branching out axons may not be enough, especially if there are pathways of dead cells. So you have to simulate nerve reproduction. But wait, they can't divide. So what we do, is get stem cells that will turn into nerve cells and replace what was lost. Sound familiar?

So while cell regeration is talked about, most of the time it's in the scope of the entire organ. Some organs don't require tissue to replicate that often. Your skin cells are pretty quick, while your skeleton (bone and all that jazz) is pretty slow. So there isn't a cell that regenerates every 7 years, there just isn't a cell over X years. 7 years is the mark "most" cells die off, so the average age of your cells at most will be 7 years.
Edited by mushroomboy - 11/10/13 at 5:40pm
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

Neurons don't regenerate, for the most part. They can branch out new axons, new pathways and such. Regeneration as what you would see in another organ (not CNS/Brain) doesn't exist. They can't multiply either.

While cells regenerate, to heal, it's really minor damage. I believe Nerve cells have some of this function, they would almost have too. But this is different then when people talk about spinal regeneration or brain tissue regeneration. There were talking about the organ and it's regenerative ability. For the most part, if a cell gets seriously "injured" it's dead. What makes everything but nerve tissue unique, is it can multiply and divide! To say, you lose 50% of your liver and it'll come back just as healthy! Now, that may not happen ideally due to other factors but that is transplant amounts. (Note: That's also the best regeneration organ, sooooo yeah)

The thing is, when we suffer nerve damage like that, there is no real fix. branching out axons may not be enough, especially if there are pathways of dead cells. So you have to simulate nerve reproduction. But wait, they can't divide. So what we do, is get stem cells that will turn into nerve cells and replace what was lost. Sound familiar?

So while cell regeration is talked about, most of the time it's in the scope of the entire organ. Some organs don't require tissue to replicate that often. Your skin cells are pretty quick, while your skeleton (bone and all that jazz) is pretty slow. So there isn't a cell that regenerates every 7 years, there just isn't a cell over X years. 7 years is the mark "most" cells die off, so the average age of your cells at most will be 7 years.

Yeah I just started learning all about the basics of CNS/PNS ie axons and dendrites myelin sheaths etc last week, been studying it this week for the upcoming quiz and eventual exam including it.

Pretty fascinating stuff really. As far as nerve cells healing i'm still not really sure on if the individual cells can heal or not, I know microglial cells are the immune system type cells in the nervous system and act to kill foreign invaders through phagocytosis (basically eats stuff) they also do this to damaged nerve cells so that leads me to believe individual nerve cells don't actually repair....
Gaming Machine
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Asus z77 P8Z77-LK V Sapphire 290x Sapphire 290x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill 4x4gb @ 1600mhz Samsung Evo 120gb Samsung Evo 120gb 2TB Seagate Game storage drive  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Raystorm CPU BLOCK EK Nickle/Acetal 290x Block  2x XSPC 240MM Radiator Windows 8.1  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix Evolution II  Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid  Cooler Master V1000 Fractal Arc Midi R2 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G400 steel series qck Logitech G430 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Machine
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Asus z77 P8Z77-LK V Sapphire 290x Sapphire 290x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill 4x4gb @ 1600mhz Samsung Evo 120gb Samsung Evo 120gb 2TB Seagate Game storage drive  
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Raystorm CPU BLOCK EK Nickle/Acetal 290x Block  2x XSPC 240MM Radiator Windows 8.1  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix Evolution II  Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid  Cooler Master V1000 Fractal Arc Midi R2 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G400 steel series qck Logitech G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 45
Neuron regeneration does actually happen in areas like the hippocampus but thats due to stem cell differentiation not mitosis. Between their limitless lifespan, microglia, circulatory anastomosis and the blood-brain barrier they pretty much live in a pimped out luxury mansion anyway
Edited by malpais - 11/10/13 at 7:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [VN] New Human Body Part Discovered.