Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › CoD Ghosts VRAM usage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CoD Ghosts VRAM usage

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So, I have heard this a few times from multiple people and from what I can tell, it makes perfect sense given the issues people are having with this game.
Basically, I think ghosts is loading maps in your vram and ram if needed. (Hence the 6GB ram requirement)
People were saying that on normal textures they were using ~2GB vram, but at extra it maxed at 3GB (max for their cards) and would eventually crash. However, I have 6GB vram and have had no issues with lag, stuttering or crashing at all since I got the game.
I think this was a good idea, but probably not appropriate given current hardware standings.
If everyone had ~6GB vram then I think it would have worked a charm, no stuttering (at least very minimal) lower RAM usage etc.
But people don't. This, I think, would have been a good idea in ~3-4 years perhaps, but not now.
Personally, I love the game, but I think they should have thought this bit over a little more.
What does everyone else think?
(This is all speculation and I haven't heard anything from the devs about this, however it makes sense to me)
post #2 of 8
It's an issue of poor coding and lack of optimizations. The game is very leaky. I personally haven't had a problem with everything maxed out and using portrait surround with a 780 classified. Sadly, I can't run SLI because of major stutter issues.
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

It's an issue of poor coding and lack of optimizations. The game is very leaky. I personally haven't had a problem with everything maxed out and using portrait surround with a 780 classified. Sadly, I can't run SLI because of major stutter issues.

wut?
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 8 / 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 7 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 8 / 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 7 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

It's an issue of poor coding and lack of optimizations. The game is very leaky. I personally haven't had a problem with everything maxed out and using portrait surround with a 780 classified. Sadly, I can't run SLI because of major stutter issues.
Hmm, I have my SLI running fine without stuttering...
post #5 of 8
The game feels like I am running it at sub-24fps when running SLI, disabling SLI fixed my issue. I did mess around with the settings some, so maybe that is what fixed it. I'll test SLI again tonight and see if the issues come back or not.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

The game feels like I am running it at sub-24fps when running SLI, disabling SLI fixed my issue. I did mess around with the settings some, so maybe that is what fixed it. I'll test SLI again tonight and see if the issues come back or not.
Yeah, I just maxed everything and had no issues with SLI, but I know someone else had an issue where the higher settings would reduce stuttering?
post #7 of 8
So what exactly is the amount of Vram usage in your system? I didn't play the game yet but judge from the ss provided by other OCN members, 6GB Vram usage is insane and can only be achieved through bad-coding, poor optimization, etc.
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 950@4.2GHz Asus Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX480SC SLI (I need a new powerful one) Corsair Dominator GT 2x3GB-2GHz-C8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OS: SS250GB + Data: WD 1.5TB + Craps: SG 80GB ASUS DVDRW-24B1LT Windows 8 Professional X64 Samsung 22'' 1920x1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12D 850W CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 950@4.2GHz Asus Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX480SC SLI (I need a new powerful one) Corsair Dominator GT 2x3GB-2GHz-C8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OS: SS250GB + Data: WD 1.5TB + Craps: SG 80GB ASUS DVDRW-24B1LT Windows 8 Professional X64 Samsung 22'' 1920x1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic M12D 850W CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cigar View Post

So what exactly is the amount of Vram usage in your system? I didn't play the game yet but judge from the ss provided by other OCN members, 6GB Vram usage is insane and can only be achieved through bad-coding, poor optimization, etc.
Well both my cards have 6GB vram each. Also, I think it is loading maps in vram, so not bad optimization, just a way to do something that isn't quite practical yet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › CoD Ghosts VRAM usage