Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Need help with a budget gaming rig.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with a budget gaming rig.

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hello, i am struggling with a low end build for my friend who does not have allot of money. And i don't know allot about AMD CPUs which i have been told
are quiet capable in bang for buck department.

I need : new CPU + Mobo combo

I have: GPU GeForce GTX 560Ti 2gb ed. used by me for a year, very solid condition.

The rest like PSU, RAM i can figure out on my own.

This system will be used for playing stuff like, Xcom Enemy Unknown, new Civ games, Skyrim, Mass Effect's, Total War 2 games.
So the task list is really not that intensive as non of the mentioned games are new.

What i want is decent multicore CPU, it can be ether intel or AMD. There will be no overclocking done because my friend can't tell
a molex from cheese cutter so if anything goes wrong i will be thousand kilometers away and wouldn't be able to help him.

And depending on CPU manufacturer i want a solid Micro-ATX mobo to go with it. No fancy complicated features it just has to be more or less future proof.

This system must handle a long life ahead of it, so if there is a mobo CPU combo that is slightly more expensive but much better preforming
that's what i will grab. As for the RAM i will probably start it off with 2x4 at 1600 and later on update to 2x8 at same frequency.
And i think its safe to assume that any new mobo will be compatible with the not rly that old gtx560.
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by War1ok View Post

Hello, i am struggling with a low end build for my friend who does not have allot of money. And i don't know allot about AMD CPUs which i have been told
are quiet capable in bang for buck department.

I need : new CPU + Mobo combo

I have: GPU GeForce GTX 560Ti 2gb ed. used by me for a year, very solid condition.

The rest like PSU, RAM i can figure out on my own.

This system will be used for playing stuff like, Xcom Enemy Unknown, new Civ games, Skyrim, Mass Effect's, Total War 2 games.
So the task list is really not that intensive as non of the mentioned games are new.

What i want is decent multicore CPU, it can be ether intel or AMD. There will be no overclocking done because my friend can't tell
a molex from cheese cutter so if anything goes wrong i will be thousand kilometers away and wouldn't be able to help him.

And depending on CPU manufacturer i want a solid Micro-ATX mobo to go with it. No fancy complicated features it just has to be more or less future proof.

This system must handle a long life ahead of it, so if there is a mobo CPU combo that is slightly more expensive but much better preforming
that's what i will grab. As for the RAM i will probably start it off with 2x4 at 1600 and later on update to 2x8 at same frequency.
And i think its safe to assume that any new mobo will be compatible with the not rly that old gtx560.

Based on the games you described this is what I would recommend and especially if your friend is on a budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

The above are a nice little CPU mobo combination that should suit the games he plays just fine
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
http://techreport.com/review/25584/tr-fall-2013-system-guide/2
http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recommended_builds_september_2013

http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recommended_builds_october_2013 [out of price range builds]

The good thing about AMD is that their motherboards are (on average) cheaper than comparable Intel boards. Not only does Intel like to charge extra for their processors, they also charge extra for their chipsets too.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
i would strongly recommend the AMD 5800k. This is an apu that is extremely future proof and can easily last a long time if taken care of. In fact my friend has on himself and has had no problems with it at all. The mobo i recommend is the msi a85xE35 this is the mobo that my friend has and has had no complaints about. If you are looking to spend a little more the AMD 6800k is newwer and is about 70% faster with a very similar price point to the 5800k.

hope this helps! thumb.gif
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
I waited a few days to see how many replies i would get, and to weight my options.

The reason i didn't specify price range is because price range varies allot from place to place. But the main thing is that i am willing to spend as much money on mobo, ram, CPU combined as the original cost of my evga 560ti 2gb which is around 2500Dkr (giving away to my friend).

I also want CPU to be more powerful then any i3 at a relatively good bang for buck ratio so AMD CPUs were primary focus. I also had my friend take a picture of the rear part of the case so i could see how many expansion slots the case had, and the answer is 7 so Micro-ATX is not a must anymore.

So the mobo i decided to go with is ASRock 970 Extreme 4
Ram Kingston HyperX blu 2 x 4 GB at 1600 mhz, he can later go up to 16 by installing 2 more dims of this type, so its decently future proof in this department.

So at this point i have spent something like 1200Dkr and that gives me another 1300Dkr to play with. After looking at AMD FX-4300 scores i wasn't very satisfied, so i stepped up a notch to AMD FX-6300. Deffo better performance but i still wanted something beefier but not as expensive as i5(going with intel CPU would also raise the mobo price). So finally i decided to go with AMD FX-8320.
As far as benchmarks go FX-8320 is same or in some cases better then some i5 and is cheaper at ~1000Dkr compared to i5 at ~1200Dkr, it draws more wattage(220W at load, or so i red) but its not an issue they put a decent cooler in the box, and there will be no overclocking done at least for now.

So the final build is:
New parts:
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 4 (612Dkr)
CPU: AMD FX-8320 (1064Dkr)
RAM: HyperX blu 2 x 4 GB at 1600 mhz (557Drk)
PSU : I will also pick up a ~500 Watt PSU but with no overclocking 400 should also do alright. Coirsair PSU finder is suggesting a 600+ PSU but i am not sure this is necessary. (Off budget)

Total spent 2233DRK out of 2500Dkr total budget

Reuse:
GPU: GTX 560ti 2gb
Case: Some case
HDD: WD caviar green 1tb
Fan: A few off brand 120mm fans

Feel free to comment tell me what you think there might be some things i overlooked and would like them to be pointed out but as far as i can see Mobo is compatible with the socked and 8 core CPU and 1600mhz RAM modules.

P.S. Sorry for any poor grammar.
post #6 of 9
Looks good.

600+ PSU is not necessary unless your friend has future plans to SLI the 560 Ti.
The two most often recommend budget power supplies in the <600W range are the Corsair CX series and Antec Earthwatts series (but there might be better since I am behind on power supplies).

*I am not a PSU expert so hopefully other people can chime in*
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by War1ok View Post

I waited a few days to see how many replies i would get, and to weight my options.

The reason i didn't specify price range is because price range varies allot from place to place. But the main thing is that i am willing to spend as much money on mobo, ram, CPU combined as the original cost of my evga 560ti 2gb which is around 2500Dkr (giving away to my friend).

I also want CPU to be more powerful then any i3 at a relatively good bang for buck ratio so AMD CPUs were primary focus. I also had my friend take a picture of the rear part of the case so i could see how many expansion slots the case had, and the answer is 7 so Micro-ATX is not a must anymore.

So the mobo i decided to go with is ASRock 970 Extreme 4
Ram Kingston HyperX blu 2 x 4 GB at 1600 mhz, he can later go up to 16 by installing 2 more dims of this type, so its decently future proof in this department.

So at this point i have spent something like 1200Dkr and that gives me another 1300Dkr to play with. After looking at AMD FX-4300 scores i wasn't very satisfied, so i stepped up a notch to AMD FX-6300. Deffo better performance but i still wanted something beefier but not as expensive as i5(going with intel CPU would also raise the mobo price). So finally i decided to go with AMD FX-8320.
As far as benchmarks go FX-8320 is same or in some cases better then some i5 and is cheaper at ~1000Dkr compared to i5 at ~1200Dkr, it draws more wattage(220W at load, or so i red) but its not an issue they put a decent cooler in the box, and there will be no overclocking done at least for now.

So the final build is:
New parts:
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 4 (612Dkr)
CPU: AMD FX-8320 (1064Dkr)
RAM: HyperX blu 2 x 4 GB at 1600 mhz (557Drk)
PSU : I will also pick up a ~500 Watt PSU but with no overclocking 400 should also do alright. Coirsair PSU finder is suggesting a 600+ PSU but i am not sure this is necessary. (Off budget)

Total spent 2233DRK out of 2500Dkr total budget

Reuse:
GPU: GTX 560ti 2gb
Case: Some case
HDD: WD caviar green 1tb
Fan: A few off brand 120mm fans

Feel free to comment tell me what you think there might be some things i overlooked and would like them to be pointed out but as far as i can see Mobo is compatible with the socked and 8 core CPU and 1600mhz RAM modules.

P.S. Sorry for any poor grammar.

None of those games will take advantage of 6 cores bro. Just get the quad I recommended its cheaper and he could get better memory. FX series fly with high speed memory I sugget at least 1866 not 1600
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have considered that. Those are just the games i know my friend will play to begin with. But between having just moved into a new apartment a wife who nags money 1 year old kid and living in a country where a monthly salary is less then the cost of clothes i wear(which are btw nothing fancy) in 1 day he wouldn't be able to buy a new computer for another 5+ years at least. Hell if i wasn't such a good friends with him he would probably still use his current "lawn mower" for another few years and that thing has 2gb of ram and nvidia 8000 something series.

With all that said, i want to make sure his machine is more or less ready for whatever happens, and you never know what will happen in 5 years time. Faster ram would be nice as well but it just so happens that i got a good deal on the ones i have mentioned earlier and i could use the money to secure a good 80 gold PSU. Also RAM are way easier to upgrade/replace in the future then a CPU and with me being thousand kilometers away and him not being able to tell molex from a 6pin that's only a bonus.

I appreciate all the help, your suggestions have made me pay more attentions to AMD CPUs (something i previously just wasn't interested in). Parts are ordered and i will be receiving them next week for testing. Hopefully the static electricity gods are kind to me and everything works as expected and my friend will be getting a rly nice new years gift.

P.S. I also noticed i could get an ASrock 990 mobo that supposedly supports 2 PCIe slots in 16x for SLI or Xfire, but i decided not to go for it because i can with 99% assurance say that there will be no dual GPUs in it ever. If anything the 560 will get replaced with a newer AMD gpu a few years down the line as a general upgrade and for some AMD cpu gpu synergy.
Edited by War1ok - 11/16/13 at 4:37pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by War1ok View Post

I have considered that. Those are just the games i know my friend will play to begin with. But between having just moved into a new apartment a wife who nags money 1 year old kid and living in a country where a monthly salary is less then the cost of clothes i wear(which are btw nothing fancy) in 1 day he wouldn't be able to buy a new computer for another 5+ years at least. Hell if i wasn't such a good friends with him he would probably still use his current "lawn mower" for another few years and that thing has 2gb of ram and nvidia 8000 something series.

With all that said, i want to make sure his machine is more or less ready for whatever happens, and you never know what will happen in 5 years time. Faster ram would be nice as well but it just so happens that i got a good deal on the ones i have mentioned earlier and i could use the money to secure a good 80 gold PSU. Also RAM are way easier to upgrade/replace in the future then a CPU and with me being thousand kilometers away and him not being able to tell molex from a 6pin that's only a bonus.

I appreciate all the help, your suggestions have made me pay more attentions to AMD CPUs (something i previously just wasn't interested in). Parts are ordered and i will be receiving them next week for testing. Hopefully the static electricity gods are kind to me and everything works as expected and my friend will be getting a rly nice new years gift.

P.S. I also noticed i could get an ASrock 990 mobo that supposedly supports 2 PCIe slots in 16x for SLI or Xfire, but i decided not to go for it because i can with 99% assurance say that there will be no dual GPUs in it ever. If anything the 560 will get replaced with a newer AMD gpu a few years down the line as a general upgrade and for some AMD cpu gpu synergy.

Those asrock mobos have more then just dual PCI express slots, they have superior VRMs which lead to better overclocks
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Need help with a budget gaming rig.