Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 59.9fps cap + vsync = no tearing/no input delay?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

59.9fps cap + vsync = no tearing/no input delay?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Someone mind explaining this to me? I'm sensitive to tears, and mouse input delay(the latter moreso), and I've been looking for solutions for a long time to get rid of tearing AND input delay and it was to no avail. I've tried all forms of adaptive vsync, limiting fps to 58/59, but I would notice stutters then. So for a game that I play regularly(Chivalry) I edited the UDKEngine.ini to 59.9 as a test, and put the ingame vsync on and to my surprise I had 0 tearing and 0 noticeable mouse input delay. So what I'm wondering is how can this be so? I though vsync turns off if your fps is under your monitor's refresh rate, and 59.9 technically is below 60 right? So wouldn't vsync turn off and I would be victim to tearing again? Just wondering why it got rid of tearing and the input delay that's synonymous with vsync. Not complaining, just curious.
post #2 of 5
Never in al most 15 year have I had input lag from vsync and triple buffering, both on NVidia and atis
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptDanko View Post

Never in al most 15 year have I had input lag from vsync and triple buffering, both on NVidia and atis

I've heard of and know people like this as well, guess I'm not as fortunate when it comes to my sensitivity/tolerance of these things. Have tried triple buffering, in some cases, made the mouse input delay worse.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptDanko View Post

Never in al most 15 year have I had input lag from vsync and triple buffering, both on NVidia and atis

Although that comment is totally irrelevant to the question, you are probably used to the delay from having it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade View Post

Someone mind explaining this to me? I'm sensitive to tears, and mouse input delay(the latter moreso), and I've been looking for solutions for a long time to get rid of tearing AND input delay and it was to no avail. I've tried all forms of adaptive vsync, limiting fps to 58/59, but I would notice stutters then. So for a game that I play regularly(Chivalry) I edited the UDKEngine.ini to 59.9 as a test, and put the ingame vsync on and to my surprise I had 0 tearing and 0 noticeable mouse input delay. So what I'm wondering is how can this be so? I though vsync turns off if your fps is under your monitor's refresh rate, and 59.9 technically is below 60 right? So wouldn't vsync turn off and I would be victim to tearing again? Just wondering why it got rid of tearing and the input delay that's synonymous with vsync. Not complaining, just curious.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it turns off when it dips under your refresh rate. If I remember correctly this is what G-Sync was all about.
Edited by RemagCP - 11/8/13 at 9:54pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemagCP View Post

Although that comment is totally irrelevant to the question, you are probably used to the delay from having it on.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it turns off when it dips under your refresh rate. If I remember correctly this is what G-Sync was all about.

Use to it? Correction, there is no delay.
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
My AMD pwnage
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 Sapphire 7950@ 1080/1370 Replacing RAM soon 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 500GB WD Blue Generic iHAS120 ATAPI DVD-RW Cooler Master Eisberg 120L Prestige  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 8.1 Enterprise x64 Trial version Linux Mint 15 MATE in Virtualbox Sony E540 CRT 21" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TT ToughPower 775W TT Dokker Razer Deathadder Rocketfish 
AudioOther
Asus Xonar D2 Fan controller for FM121s 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 59.9fps cap + vsync = no tearing/no input delay?