Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › HDD Cloning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HDD Cloning - Page 2

post #11 of 17
I'm not actually sure if you even need free space at all with an EVO thanks to its cache. If you don't exceed that 3GB (4GB with RAPID) limit, then that free space won't do anything as far as I know.

I found that disabling the BIOS splash screen cut my laptop's time in half. I just need to remember which key accesses BIOS, just in case, and I'm pretty sure it's F12. That, or F2. Sean has a wonderful guide because he is a wonderful person. It's for Windows 7, but Windows 8 should be similar since the last three versions are all based on the Vista kernel.

EDIT: Here's the Windows 8 guide. Thank you Sean... blushsmiley.gif
Edited by CynicalUnicorn - 11/10/13 at 5:11pm
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
For Sale: [FS] Z97 system: Xeon and RAM
$190 (USD) or best offer
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
  hide details  
Reply
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
For Sale: [FS] Z97 system: Xeon and RAM
$190 (USD) or best offer
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

I'm not actually sure if you even need free space at all with an EVO thanks to its cache. If you don't exceed that 3GB (4GB with RAPID) limit, then that free space won't do anything as far as I know.

I found that disabling the BIOS splash screen cut my laptop's time in half. I just need to remember which key accesses BIOS, just in case, and I'm pretty sure it's F12. That, or F2. Sean has a wonderful guide because he is a wonderful person. It's for Windows 7, but Windows 8 should be similar since the last three versions are all based on the Vista kernel.

Oh WOW. Thanks Sean. Tons of information in this thread! I should have just used the search bar ._.

Ill take a look at this when i get home from work. Thank you so much CynicalUnicorn!

By the way, do i still need to "Align" this? I dont want anything to affect the health of my SSD.
Edited by Aesthethc - 11/10/13 at 4:58pm
post #13 of 17
your drive should be aligned fine, just check via this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1226963/how-to-properly-re-align-your-ssd-hdd-partitions

if you're using windows 8 read this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Storage Essentials Thread in my sig too
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

your drive should be aligned fine, just check via this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1226963/how-to-properly-re-align-your-ssd-hdd-partitions

if you're using windows 8 read this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Storage Essentials Thread in my sig too

Answered all my questions smile.gif

Super grateful you commented on my thread biggrin.gif sooo many resources now!
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 


In the middle of the test; it had that signature windows error sound and a dialog box came up and said "could not open physical device" or something like that could not open something... physical... i accidentally pressed ok because it popped up while i was browsing i thought it was a pop up.

It says OK. Does that mean everything is all aligned and stuff? (super obvious answer -- but i want to double check to make sure)
post #16 of 17
you're all set. that popup is usually caused by corsair software being installed on the system as well. Or another thing, it is nothing to worry about.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

you're all set. that popup is usually caused by corsair software being installed on the system as well. Or another thing, it is nothing to worry about.

rolleyes.gif

Yup i have that installed. I dont even use it.... hahah

Thanks! Guess i dont have to align after all biggrin.gif Such a sigh of relief on my chest.... thought i had to do more work than i needed to. Glad everything was super easy. I never knew it was this easy...... biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › HDD Cloning