Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 290/290X Black Screen Poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

290/290X Black Screen Poll - Page 85

Poll Results: Do You Black Screen?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 43% of voters (147)
    Stock Clock Elpdia UEFI?
  • 18% of voters (61)
    Stock Clock Elpdia LEGACY?
  • 14% of voters (48)
    Stock Clock Hynix UEFI?
  • 5% of voters (18)
    Stock Clock Hynix LEGACY?
  • 18% of voters (62)
    Over Clock Elpdia UEFI?
  • 8% of voters (27)
    Over Clock Elpdia LEGACY?
  • 7% of voters (26)
    Over Clock Hynix UEFI?
  • 5% of voters (20)
    Over Clock Hynix LEGACY?
337 Total Votes  
post #841 of 1600
If you are getting black screens at stock speed, i say, jus rma the card. Its a hardware problem , and a new driver won't solve it. No point to waste your time with it.

I had a bs Asus R290. I rma 'd once, they sent it back to me. I RMA 'd it again. Now they found the problem, and its bad gpu .
post #842 of 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRock View Post

If you are getting black screens at stock speed, i say, jus rma the card. Its a hardware problem , and a new driver won't solve it. No point to waste your time with it.

I had a bs Asus R290. I rma 'd once, they sent it back to me. I RMA 'd it again. Now they found the problem, and its bad gpu .

I wish it'd be an easy choice for me. I can send this back to either refund or replace. If i'd send it back for replacement, i don't want it to be a lightning anymore. This is already my 2nd lightning (the previous one was a 780, which was DOA). I don't want to buy another 780 Ti again nor spend additional money on more expensive card (wanted a Kingpin but it's so expensive). If refund, my computing life would be boring...Ti has ref cooler, faster but it's a set-and-forget type, not something i can continually tweak. I guess i'm part of the problem lol biggrin.gif
post #843 of 1600
I've been testing alot of things over the past few weeks, none of them are yet to solve my issue of random black screen on IDLE only, i'm yet to see this on gaming or any stress testing.
I thought 14.4 WHQL would maybe fix this, nope, black screened on me last night. 9/10 times it will resume from the monitor being off, the other 1 time it will just give me a black screen and lock up the whole PC. I've tested the card against integrated GPU which has 0 problems at all times. It's pointless turning off sleep or making the monitor never switch off, it does it regardless.
Have put in for an RMA, hopefully they replace it. The problem is so many cards get rejected for BS because it's so difficult to test. I haven't found a pattern to reproduce my issue as it seems completely random. Others that BS on stress testing or gaming might find it easier to RMA.
Edited by xliquidx - 4/28/14 at 6:22pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #844 of 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by xliquidx View Post

I've been testing alot of things over the past few weeks, none of them are yet to solve my issue of random black screen on IDLE only, i'm yet to see this on gaming or any stress testing.
I thought 14.4 WHQL would maybe fix this, nope, black screened on me last night. 9/10 times it will resume from the monitor being off, the other 1 time it will just give me a black screen and lock up the whole PC. I've tested the card against integrated GPU which has 0 problems at all times. It's pointless turning off sleep or making the monitor never switch off, it does it regardless.
Have put in for an RMA, hopefully they replace it. The problem is so many cards get rejected for BS because it's so difficult to test. I haven't found a pattern to reproduce my issue as it seems completely random. Others that BS on stress testing or gaming might find it easier to RMA.

We're on the same boat, and I agree it's completely random, regardless what driver i used 13.x or 14.x. On 14.x, frequent hang ups requiring me to reboot. NEVER had this problem with NVIDIA and Intel graphics.

BTW - does your VDDC / Power also randomly drops to 0?
post #845 of 1600
I do prefer Nvidia but 290 is best bang for my price point. I really want the MSI Gaming 290 because those seem to have the Hynix mem. Would I be making a mistake?
The Machine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R5 1600x Asus Strix x370-F GTX 1080 16gb (2x8gb) EVGA DDR4 3000mhz CL15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 512gb 1tb WD Caviar Black 2tb WD Caviar Black Corsair H110 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Asus PB278 27" 1440p ACER 22" 1080p Hannspree 22" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech g105 Corsair AX860 The Wesk (scratch Build) W.I.P. Logitech G9X laser 
AudioOther
Logitech Z4 2.1 Corsair Vengeance 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R5 1600x Asus Strix x370-F GTX 1080 16gb (2x8gb) EVGA DDR4 3000mhz CL15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 512gb 1tb WD Caviar Black 2tb WD Caviar Black Corsair H110 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Asus PB278 27" 1440p ACER 22" 1080p Hannspree 22" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech g105 Corsair AX860 The Wesk (scratch Build) W.I.P. Logitech G9X laser 
AudioOther
Logitech Z4 2.1 Corsair Vengeance 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #846 of 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by acupalypse View Post

We're on the same boat, and I agree it's completely random, regardless what driver i used 13.x or 14.x. On 14.x, frequent hang ups requiring me to reboot. NEVER had this problem with NVIDIA and Intel graphics.

BTW - does your VDDC / Power also randomly drops to 0?
It's very frustrating isn't it.
I haven't noticed any drop in vddc etc however I use Trixx to set my clocks. Its definitely some sort of power regulation fault on idle states, its almost like it crashes when trying to adjust the clocks or volts coming out of some sort of sleep state, I don't know
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #847 of 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post

I do prefer Nvidia but 290 is best bang for my price point. I really want the MSI Gaming 290 because those seem to have the Hynix mem. Would I be making a mistake?
Not to turn you off but I don't think memory makes all that much difference. There are multiple reports of black screens with elpida and hynix memory, just seems they are less common with the latter.. Hynix should give you more overclocking headroom.. but like I said above, I have a hynix memory card from February 2014 and it black screens on idle...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #848 of 1600
So another update..
Just got home from work, tried to turn on PC. Gets to Windows and consistently black screening within 1 minute. I thought, must be Trixx and my overclock. Booted to safe mode, no black screening, uninstalled trixx, rebooted. Same thing. Back to safe mode. Must be display driver I thought.. Decided to disable CCC on startup.. Nno black screen on boot.
So faulty card or faulty drivers or both

EDIT: I managed to get this on video. Have a look... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_h8525zSG0
The only thing I can think of is because of my previous overclock it has Overdrive enabled. Could there be some sort of glitch when you are running above the CCC limit of +100mv for an overclock? I had +130mv set in Trixx

EDIT2: Some further headway.. Decided to clear the following folder that maintains CCC settings: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE
This has fixed the problem... I can now open CCC and boot with NO black screens....
Im fairly certain is has something to do with overdrive, either my VDDC or the fan profiles. When I opened CCC the fans went straight to 100% then black screened. It's possible there was some conflict with CCC and Trixx that has corrupted the profiles...

EDIT3: Compared the files.. The Manifest.xml is completely blank... The newly generated file has a heap of adapter info.. No idea whats happened here.
ACEBlackscreen.zip 3k .zip file ACEOriginaluntouched.zip 12k .zip file
Edited by xliquidx - 4/29/14 at 1:59am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #849 of 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by xliquidx View Post

It's very frustrating isn't it.
I haven't noticed any drop in vddc etc however I use Trixx to set my clocks. Its definitely some sort of power regulation fault on idle states, its almost like it crashes when trying to adjust the clocks or volts coming out of some sort of sleep state, I don't know

yeah it is frustrating...had i known that there were a lot of folks having this problem, i wouldn't have spent my time buying this lightning. Had 3 nvidia cards and 1 old amd, never had this problem. Looks like you are able to replicate the problem. Mine is so random, it will just black screen whenever it wanted to mad.gif not to mention several hung and inexplicable slow downs that i couldn't even describe what's going on and what causes it.
post #850 of 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by acupalypse View Post

yeah it is frustrating...had i known that there were a lot of folks having this problem, i wouldn't have spent my time buying this lightning. Had 3 nvidia cards and 1 old amd, never had this problem. Looks like you are able to replicate the problem. Mine is so random, it will just black screen whenever it wanted to mad.gif not to mention several hung and inexplicable slow downs that i couldn't even describe what's going on and what causes it.
Mine is random as well, that was just one circumstance I seem to of found the problem...
Like as of 5 minutes ago I just quit a game, opened Valley bench and it blacked screen straight away. Turned it off and on multiple times and it still black screen lol.
I actually had to remove the hdmi cable from the video card before it would release my monitor... These things got some serious issues
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero  Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SLI 16GB G.Skill Trident 2400 @ 9-10-12-28 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Crucial C300 Windows 8.1 64bit QNIX QX2710 @ 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quickfire TK Seasonic Platinum 760w Fractal Design Define R4 CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 290/290X Black Screen Poll