Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Sig rig needs a new PSU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sig rig needs a new PSU

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Title says it all really. I recently upgraded my video card and I'm now just realizing my PSU is too under-powered for a dual screen setup.

What do you recommend? I'm willing to pay for quality and future proofing...

EDIT: I will probably go with this one unless someone suggests otherwise.
Edited by floodx - 11/12/13 at 6:07pm
post #2 of 9
170 CAD is pretty steep for something that's not competing in the premium segment.

Also, 550W is enough for a Phenom II X6 1055T and HD 7950 unless you're running balls-to-the-walls overclocks. Unless you somehow managed to pick up a VS550 in Canada, Corsair doesn't have a poor 550W power supply in their lineup, so whatever you have is fine.

850W makes no sense at all unless you're a really heavy overclocker / bencher wanting to add another HD 7950. What are you planning on running in this rig?
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Interesting...

The most I plan on doing is running a game with max settings on my 24" monitor and have an extended desktop on my 27" monitor (which will probably have chrome open).

Right now my computer BSOD's if I plug in my second monitor.

I also picked up a 550 here in Canada 5+ years ago. Cannot remember if it a VS or not; sticker is long gone; invoice is lost; website I ordered it from doesn't have records back that far.
post #4 of 9
Your monitor doesn't draw power from your computer power supply.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguineDrone View Post

Your monitor doesn't draw power from your computer power supply.

Not directly, but it does have to send out a signal (which I presume is powered by the video card). I have no idea if that's significantly power intensive or not. I should mention it's through a 25' HDMI cable as well.
post #6 of 9
Unless its a Corsair VS you dont need a new PSU
Seravee
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD30EZRX  WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  LG CH12NS30 5x Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD30EZRX  WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  LG CH12NS30 5x Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by floodx View Post

Interesting...

The most I plan on doing is running a game with max settings on my 24" monitor and have an extended desktop on my 27" monitor (which will probably have chrome open).

Right now my computer BSOD's if I plug in my second monitor.
I also picked up a 550 here in Canada 5+ years ago. Cannot remember if it a VS or not; sticker is long gone; invoice is lost; website I ordered it from doesn't have records back that far.

You might have other issues. Try reinstalling the latest AMD drivers here.

As for PSUs, check out this database. 550w should be more than enough for your current setup.

If you plan on adding a 2nd 7950, go for a 750w unit (with 4x 6/8 pin PCI-E connectors).
TheSadFlute
(17 items)
 
DyingHeart
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K TUF Sabertooth MSI Golden Ed GTX980 Ti 16GB 2400MHz C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 480GB LE 3TB WD Green Sammy 500GB 850 EVO H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro  HP 32' 1440p Logitech G710+ EVGA G2 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Stryker Logitech G602 Steel Series On-Board 
Audio
Nakamichi 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965BE  Sapphire 790X Zotac GTX650  4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2 (1GBx4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB WD 2TB Green Stock 3x120mm UQ fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro SP1 x64 LG 21' 1680x1050 Genius  Corsair CX600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Gigabyte  E-Blue Mazer XFX WarPad On-board 
Audio
Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
TheSadFlute
(17 items)
 
DyingHeart
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K TUF Sabertooth MSI Golden Ed GTX980 Ti 16GB 2400MHz C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 480GB LE 3TB WD Green Sammy 500GB 850 EVO H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro  HP 32' 1440p Logitech G710+ EVGA G2 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Stryker Logitech G602 Steel Series On-Board 
Audio
Nakamichi 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965BE  Sapphire 790X Zotac GTX650  4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2 (1GBx4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB WD 2TB Green Stock 3x120mm UQ fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro SP1 x64 LG 21' 1680x1050 Genius  Corsair CX600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Gigabyte  E-Blue Mazer XFX WarPad On-board 
Audio
Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by floodx View Post

Interesting...

The most I plan on doing is running a game with max settings on my 24" monitor and have an extended desktop on my 27" monitor (which will probably have chrome open).

Right now my computer BSOD's if I plug in my second monitor.

I also picked up a 550 here in Canada 5+ years ago. Cannot remember if it a VS or not; sticker is long gone; invoice is lost; website I ordered it from doesn't have records back that far.

Might be problem with the video card or monitor then. Did you try other configurations, ports, different ones on, drivers, etc.?

Corsair VS is a relatively new product for "emerging markets" (i.e. that generally are full of even worse products). You have a VX550. It's the only 550W they made back then. It's fine and should be usable still. But if you want something newer, better, more efficient, quieter, modular, or whatever else, that wouldn't be crazy at all.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

You might have other issues. Try reinstalling the latest AMD drivers here.

As for PSUs, check out this database. 550w should be more than enough for your current setup.

If you plan on adding a 2nd 7950, go for a 750w unit (with 4x 6/8 pin PCI-E connectors).

Thanks for the links. I tried updating the drivers. It didn't work. So, I tried re installing them. That also didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post

Might be problem with the video card or monitor then. Did you try other configurations, ports, different ones on, drivers, etc.?

Corsair VS is a relatively new product for "emerging markets" (i.e. that generally are full of even worse products). You have a VX550. It's the only 550W they made back then. It's fine and should be usable still. But if you want something newer, better, more efficient, quieter, modular, or whatever else, that wouldn't be crazy at all.

The monitor works fine; I had a dual-screen setup with my old video card.

You're also right about the PSU. I remember VX now that you mention it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Sig rig needs a new PSU