Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD - 8120 Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD - 8120 Help

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello guys... I am new here on the forum. I built my PC about 4 months ago and have been really regretting this processor. I plan on buying the 8350 at some point but I don't know when that will happen.. Anyways I am thinking about overclocking but not sure if it will hold very well. I only have a stock fan so I wont be doing to much. If anybody could give me some advice on this I would appreciate it!


Sorry if i posted this is wrong section!

Specs -
EVGA GTX 660 SC

AMD FX - 8120

Corsair Vengeance 8GB - 1600

800w PSU

ASUS M5A97 LE R.20 Motherboard
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderson View Post

Hello guys... I am new here on the forum. I built my PC about 4 months ago and have been really regretting this processor. I plan on buying the 8350 at some point but I don't know when that will happen.. Anyways I am thinking about overclocking but not sure if it will hold very well. I only have a stock fan so I wont be doing to much. If anybody could give me some advice on this I would appreciate it!


Sorry if i posted this is wrong section!

Specs -
EVGA GTX 660 SC

AMD FX - 8120

Corsair Vengeance 8GB - 1600

800w PSU

ASUS M5A97 LE R.20 Motherboard


Custom fan/AIO or NO OC !
Don't get an AMD cpu if you are going to game. Get an Intel as an upgrade and you won't regret it.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Ok. so no overclocking. If i get a intel I would need to get a new motherboard... If i were to buy better cooling would it be alright? or should I go with 8350? Tight on money atm...
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderson View Post

Ok. so no overclocking. If i get a intel I would need to get a new motherboard... If i were to buy better cooling would it be alright? or should I go with 8350? Tight on money atm...

There's no big difference between the 8350 and your current CPU besides the clocks. Something a good OC will solve. If you are tight on cash I would get an H80i and OC the hell out of that chip until you can go for an i7 4770K or something of the sort. You will be able to use the same cooler with that CPU too.


EDIT: I was looking at your motherboard model right now and realized it only has a limited OC capability (it is limited by the amount of current the board can provide to the cpu). So even if you get a better cooler and try to OC I doubt you will be able to get more than 4ghz stable in all cores.
Best thing you could do is get an i5 4670K and a Z87 motherboard (gigabyte or asus) and a basic custom cooler (something like a hyper 212 evo) to do some decent oc. and maybe later on upgrade to an i7, if needed.

You can always try OCing before doing anything else, but be careful with your temps if you are on the stock cooler.
Edited by pokerapar88 - 11/13/13 at 10:01am
post #5 of 7
Yeah the Bulldozer 8 cores are only solid when overclocked but unfortunately you need a beefy motherboard to do any serious overclocking on one.

Rather than dump a ton of money into a new motherboard and Intel CPU, one option would be to buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler for $30 and overclock a little. You can probably do 4.2 or 4.3 on stock volts and that board should handle that.
post #6 of 7
My friend, AMD 8120 is a beast! Once you overclock it you'll be laughing in 2600k faces. I have mine sitting at 4.68 24/7 stable with memory at 1866. It's demolishing BF4, Crysis 3, every game I play at high quality. Get a nh-d14 or Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo and bump her up to 4.4 or so. That's when she'll jump in performance.
Also, you're motherboard is fine for overclocking. As long as it is the v2.0, it has a 6+2 phase and I looked into that board before I found my UD5 at a local shop for $130.
Just stay below 1.425v on cpu, you'll be fine. Once you get a cooler.
Edited by Gubber - 11/14/13 at 7:58pm
Gubber's
(15 items)
 
Dream Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8120 Gigabyte 990fxa UD5 EVGA 580 reference with PK-3 Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Ultra Barracuda Loop Win 7... Shitty. 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2752AOC 2013 Blackwidow Blue Backlit 1000w OCZ 80+ Gold Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G500 Roccat Sense 5.1 Logitech, Audiotechnica somethin. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k gd-65 gaming 280x trident 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb my cooling loop. 1000w OCZ Revelationz 80+ Gold NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Gubber's
(15 items)
 
Dream Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8120 Gigabyte 990fxa UD5 EVGA 580 reference with PK-3 Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Ultra Barracuda Loop Win 7... Shitty. 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2752AOC 2013 Blackwidow Blue Backlit 1000w OCZ 80+ Gold Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G500 Roccat Sense 5.1 Logitech, Audiotechnica somethin. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k gd-65 gaming 280x trident 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb my cooling loop. 1000w OCZ Revelationz 80+ Gold NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubber View Post

My friend, AMD 8120 is a beast! Once you overclock it you'll be laughing in 2600k faces. I have mine sitting at 4.68 24/7 stable with memory at 1866. It's demolishing BF4, Crysis 3, every game I play at high quality. Get a nh-d14 or Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo and bump her up to 4.4 or so. That's when she'll jump in performance.
Also, you're motherboard is fine for overclocking. As long as it is the v2.0, it has a 6+2 phase and I looked into that board before I found my UD5 at a local shop for $130.
Just stay below 1.425v on cpu, you'll be fine. Once you get a cooler.

I would like to see that cpu beating an OC'd 2500-2600K at gaming...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD - 8120 Help