Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 7870 Myst & 7970 crossfire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7870 Myst & 7970 crossfire - Page 2

post #11 of 16
The problem is that what you currently have is enough for now and the upgrade is still quite far speaking technically.But if you still wanna buy something, I'd say sell your 7870 and get a R9 290 as it will be enough for now as well as when you go to 1440p. The 7970 would be a wise option if you already had another 7970 or 7950 even as the performance hit would still be less. As for the choice of card, I'd choose a Sapphire 7970 dual-x or Vapor-x or one of the Gigabyte windforce coolers as they offer exceptional cooling.
post #12 of 16
You would definitely see a really nice performance boost in most games. Loads of people crossfire and have zero problems... its no way as bad as it used to be and screen tearing is not that bad. 90% of games you will have no problem at all and the other 10% usually always a small work around.

This is taken straight from the 7870 Tahiti owners club thread... from a long time poster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

Just got my 2nd HD 7870 MYST today. BIG performance jump over having just one in my computer. 60-80% improvement in most games.

I'll report back as I do more testing. smile.gif

I see your point... you can grab a 7970 for about the same price as a 7870 Tahiti...I'd go for it. There is that point that ultimately the single fastest card you can afford is usually the best option... but in your case you can put the 7970 in the first slot... you can have the power of Crossfire in all the games it works, and those with the problems turn off the myst and have all the power of the 7970. Seems sweet to me, like the best of both worlds.... go for it!
Edited by medseven - 11/17/13 at 2:22am
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
This is the card im looking to get: Re-certified powercolor 7970. Can anyone tell me if this is a reference PCB, I'd also like to get a waterblock for it eventually.
post #14 of 16
Yes thats a reference board.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply.

You can only get a full cover water block for 7970 reference boards correct? Is full cover the best way to go, does it make a difference from a universal and some ram sinks?

Also how would overclocking work with the cards in crossfire? do you have to do them separately, match them, or do they overclock together at the same time?
post #16 of 16
Quote:
You can only get a full cover water block for 7970 reference boards correct?
No. Even universal blocks fit.
Quote:
Is full cover the best way to go, does it make a difference from a universal and some ram sinks?
I haven't set up a watercooled system myself, but from my limited understanding, people prefer full cover blocks due to:
a. Creates less restriction and cools the entire PCB along with the VRM's rather than add a unversal block and then cool the VRM with a separate block (not sure it exists)
b. adds to the looks
Quote:
Also how would overclocking work with the cards in crossfire? do you have to do them separately, match them, or do they overclock together at the same time?
I use Sapphire Trixx to overclock my cards, and there isn't much to do to overclock the cards. The way you set up the overclock the clocks for 1 card, the same applies to them in crossfire. There are other things such as "force constant voltage" and "synchronize the cards" that are among the options that you could use if the overclock you are trying to achieve is not successful. Also remember to select "Disable ULPS" to start your overclocking as you can't change voltage with this option off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 7870 Myst & 7970 crossfire