Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club! - Page 1430

post #14291 of 14349
I got my replacement 4930k chip in from Intel a few weeks ago and am trying to OC it now.
Here are the settings I changed:
-PCIE and CPU spread Spectrum off
-Turbo mode off
CPU & VCCSA Load Line Calibration to extreme
CPU Current Capability to 160%
VCCSA Current Capability to 120%
Vcore to 1.3

Now these are my initial settings. I ran the intel burn test and it ran up temps as high as 70 deg, which seems high to me for the Intel burn test.

I want to try something before proceeding with my OCing but I am not sure how to go about doing it.

How do you use voltage offset to possibly reduce temps or get a better OC?
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14292 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post

I got my replacement 4930k chip in from Intel a few weeks ago and am trying to OC it now.
Here are the settings I changed:
-PCIE and CPU spread Spectrum off
-Turbo mode off
CPU & VCCSA Load Line Calibration to extreme
CPU Current Capability to 160%
VCCSA Current Capability to 120%
Vcore to 1.3

Now these are my initial settings. I ran the intel burn test and it ran up temps as high as 70 deg, which seems high to me for the Intel burn test.

I want to try something before proceeding with my OCing but I am not sure how to go about doing it.

How do you use voltage offset to possibly reduce temps or get a better OC?

 

It's much trickier and harder to explain than regular vcore overclocking.

 

Basically, you set it to offset +/- 0mv, then raise your multiplier until it won't load windows.  Then you add offset vcore until it will successfully load windows. Rinse & repeat until you reach your desired oc or get close to 1.4v at load.  The idea is that your cpu gets a base vcore all the time, then the offset vcore is added (or subtracted) under load when it needs it.

 

It's more nuanced than that, but iirc that's the jist of it (it's been a few years since I oc'ed mine, it's just been chugging away on its own ever since)

 

Also, fyi, it will NOT reduce your temp under load at all.  It WILL reduce the average voltage being applied to your cpu & the idle temp.


Edited by chrisnyc75 - 5/5/17 at 9:26am
post #14293 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post

It's much trickier and harder to explain than regular vcore overclocking.

Basically, you set it to offset +/- 0mv, then raise your multiplier until it won't load windows.  Then you add offset vcore until it will successfully load windows. Rinse & repeat until you reach your desired oc or get close to 1.4v at load.  The idea is that your cpu gets a base vcore all the time, then the offset vcore is added (or subtracted) under load when it needs it.

It's more nuanced than that, but iirc that's the jist of it (it's been a few years since I oc'ed mine, it's just been chugging away on its own ever since)

Also, fyi, it will NOT reduce your temp under load at all.  It WILL reduce the average voltage being applied to your cpu & the idle temp.
Thanks! Rep! I found a guide for the ASUS maximus boards about offset OCing and it is a bit more complex than that. LOL. So far I have been able to hit 4.4ghz and seem pretty stable. I may try 4.6 and then go with lowering the vcore if it is stable...
Then I will mess with offset tinkering...lol
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14294 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post


Thanks! Rep! I found a guide for the ASUS maximus boards about offset OCing and it is a bit more complex than that. LOL. So far I have been able to hit 4.4ghz and seem pretty stable. I may try 4.6 and then go with lowering the vcore if it is stable...
Then I will mess with offset tinkering...lol


Yeah, it's definitely more complex than my super-brief summary... once you're in Windows, you have to load up something that maxes out the load and then adjust the offset accordingly.  It's a lot harder than regular overclocking, and really the only reason to bother with it is if you have a really high overclock that requires a lot of voltage, but you want to reduce the amount of voltage being applied to your cpu at idle, when it doesn't need the additional vcore.  Or just for the challenge of it. ;)

 

If your aim is to reduce your vcore under load or reduce temps, though, offset oc'ing won't help you.

post #14295 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post


Thanks! Rep! I found a guide for the ASUS maximus boards about offset OCing and it is a bit more complex than that. LOL. So far I have been able to hit 4.4ghz and seem pretty stable. I may try 4.6 and then go with lowering the vcore if it is stable...
Then I will mess with offset tinkering...lol


btw, also worth noting there's a bug in Windows 10 (not sure if the recent updates might have fixed it? I gave up following along ages ago) where enabling VM causes the bios to ignore offset vcore.  Gave me more than a few headaches back in the W10 beta days.  When last I checked, neither Microsoft nor Asus seemed interested in fixing it.

post #14296 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post


Yeah, it's definitely more complex than my super-brief summary... once you're in Windows, you have to load up something that maxes out the load and then adjust the offset accordingly.  It's a lot harder than regular overclocking, and really the only reason to bother with it is if you have a really high overclock that requires a lot of voltage, but you want to reduce the amount of voltage being applied to your cpu at idle, when it doesn't need the additional vcore.  Or just for the challenge of it. wink.gif

If your aim is to reduce your vcore under load or reduce temps, though, offset oc'ing won't help you.
From what I've read offset can improve stability and increase OC potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post


btw, also worth noting there's a bug in Windows 10 (not sure if the recent updates might have fixed it? I gave up following along ages ago) where enabling VM causes the bios to ignore offset vcore.  Gave me more than a few headaches back in the W10 beta days.  When last I checked, neither Microsoft nor Asus seemed interested in fixing it.
If by VM you mean Virtual Machine, I don't use it. I haven't even tried it yet...
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14297 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post


From what I've read offset can improve stability and increase OC potential.
If by VM you mean Virtual Machine, I don't use it. I haven't even tried it yet...


No, offset won't improve stability or increase OC potential.  What it will do is maximize efficiency so you're not wasting electricity by providing vcore you don't need to your core when it doesn't need it.  Offset ONLY gives the core additional vcore when it needs it; the rest of the time it gives it as little voltage as possible to be stable when idle.  Let me put it this way: if you need 1.36v to be stable at 4.5ghz with your regular oc, you're going to need the exact same 1.36v to be stable at 4.5ghz with offset.  The only difference is how you achieve that 1.36v.

 

Yes, VM = Virtual Machine.  Make sure the SERVICE is disabled in Windows.  The bug is triggered by the service being enabled even if you're not actually using VM (because Windows 10, like Windows 8, is basically built to emulate a VM)

post #14298 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post


No, offset won't improve stability or increase OC potential.  What it will do is maximize efficiency so you're not wasting electricity by providing vcore you don't need to your core when it doesn't need it.  Offset ONLY gives the core additional vcore when it needs it; the rest of the time it gives it as little voltage as possible to be stable when idle.  Let me put it this way: if you need 1.36v to be stable at 4.5ghz with your regular oc, you're going to need the exact same 1.36v to be stable at 4.5ghz with offset.  The only difference is how you achieve that 1.36v.

Yes, VM = Virtual Machine.  Make sure the SERVICE is disabled in Windows.  The bug is triggered by the service being enabled even if you're not actually using VM (because Windows 10, like Windows 8, is basically built to emulate a VM)
Some of the things I have read so far indicate it helps with stability somewhat. But not the ROG offset OC guide (which I am reading now). Thanks for the info so far!
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14299 of 14349
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post

From what I've read offset can improve stability and increase OC potential.

If by VM you mean Virtual Machine, I don't use it. I haven't even tried it yet...


No, offset won't improve stability or increase OC potential.  What it will do is maximize efficiency so you're not wasting electricity by providing vcore you don't need to your core when it doesn't need it.  Offset ONLY gives the core additional vcore when it needs it; the rest of the time it gives it as little voltage as possible to be stable when idle.  Let me put it this way: if you need 1.36v to be stable at 4.5ghz with your regular oc, you're going to need the exact same 1.36v to be stable at 4.5ghz with offset.  The only difference is how you achieve that 1.36v.

Yes, VM = Virtual Machine.  Make sure the SERVICE is disabled in Windows.  The bug is triggered by the service being enabled even if you're not actually using VM (because Windows 10, like Windows 8, is basically built to emulate a VM)

i dont have this issue basically
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14300 of 14349
Me neither wink.gif

I find blck 125 strap is the best for overclocking ........... Multiplier , 100 strap +offset vcore for lower idle temps yessir.gif
Edited by HOMECINEMA-PC - 5/7/17 at 12:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!