Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club! - Page 590

post #5891 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

welcome

but i have to ask what exactly are you saying here?? !! ?? i know quite a few people in CA who can successfully oc so i personally can eliminate the fact you are in CA to not being able to oc, probably just your lack of experience which we can fix !!

lachen.gif (i kidd)!
this



Reason I said where I lived, maybe someone who lives near me to help me out, be it a store or someone.
post #5892 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGreek View Post

Reason I said where I lived, maybe someone who lives near me to help me out, be it a store or someone.

If you were in Edmonton, I'd stop by for a beer and an OC. Married? I am a man of many talents...


tongue.gif


j/k, of course.


Listen, I OC people's rigs over teamspeak A LOT. I got into doing tech stuff many years ago working in a call center before the internet was a thing, and cell phones were new. I've spent well over a decade doing tech support and such by voice...and it's not really that hard, especially with today's platforms that are so easy-to-use, compared to what we had many years ago.


What you need to do is clear CMOS, boot into BIOS, find stock voltage values, and enter them manually. Then increase CPU multi until it fails...and then decide whether you want to add more voltage, or stay at that clock (usually 4.2-4.5 GHz).

If it fails, and you add more vCPU, and that doesn't help, or you need a big boost, then look to VTT and VCCSA.

When CPU is tested, enabled XMP for your sticks (hopefully less than 2400 MHz), and test again. If it fails, look to VCCSA and VTT again..maybe a touch vCPU.


Then you are done.

That's all you gotta do these days, since we use Turbo to OC.

The thing that takes the big amount of time is tuning voltages down, or tweaking timings. That requires an individual approach, since each ram set and CPU are going to match together a bit differently from each sample. Just simply don't rush it, do slow, and start at stock, moving one thing at a time, and then testing as you go.
post #5893 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post

If you were in Edmonton, I'd stop by for a beer and an OC. Married? I am a man of many talents...


tongue.gif


j/k, of course.


Listen, I OC people's rigs over teamspeak A LOT. I got into doing tech stuff many years ago working in a call center before the internet was a thing, and cell phones were new. I've spent well over a decade doing tech support and such by voice...and it's not really that hard, especially with today's platforms that are so easy-to-use, compared to what we had many years ago.


What you need to do is clear CMOS, boot into BIOS, find stock voltage values, and enter them manually. Then increase CPU multi until it fails...and then decide whether you want to add more voltage, or stay at that clock (usually 4.2-4.5 GHz).

If it fails, and you add more vCPU, and that doesn't help, or you need a big boost, then look to VTT and VCCSA.

When CPU is tested, enabled XMP for your sticks (hopefully less than 2400 MHz), and test again. If it fails, look to VCCSA and VTT again..maybe a touch vCPU.


Then you are done.

That's all you gotta do these days, since we use Turbo to OC.

The thing that takes the big amount of time is tuning voltages down, or tweaking timings. That requires an individual approach, since each ram set and CPU are going to match together a bit differently from each sample. Just simply don't rush it, do slow, and start at stock, moving one thing at a time, and then testing as you go.



Can having the wrong ram be the problem? I bought a quad kit, with the timing of 11-13-13-31. Looking at the ram vendor list, its not on there. Would this cause the crashing ?
post #5894 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGreek View Post

Can having the wrong ram be the problem? I bought a quad kit, with the timing of 11-13-13-31. Looking at the ram vendor list, its not on there. Would this cause the crashing ?

definitely possible. I'd pop off a couple of BIOS timing screenshots, showing primary, secondary, and tertiary timings, and post 'em..maybe something sticks out.


Ram clocking can be hard..some CPUs are just dogs when it comes to memory...which is why I say focus on CPU first. Memory increase isn't going to make much of a difference after 2133 MHz, since that'll get you over 60000 MB/s @ 4.5 GHz, and the CPUs are "rated" for 59000. Multi-GPU users will see some increases to minimum frames mostly, and that can specifically a huge impact, but other than that, 1600-to-2133 MHz is where I'd suggest most to aim for.
post #5895 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGreek View Post

Can having the wrong ram be the problem? I bought a quad kit, with the timing of 11-13-13-31. Looking at the ram vendor list, its not on there. Would this cause the crashing ?

Not likely, but possible... Crashing is caused from instability. OC'ing is a finesse & patience based hobby. Some people are lucky & able to do large jumps, other people have to do it 100mhz @ a time. OC your CPU first, then move onto memory, following the directions provided above by Dave. Also, make sure you read through that guide I linked above. It's long, and has lots of words, but it's the go-to authority for OC'ing with this mother board.
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
Reply
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5896 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupples View Post

Not likely, but possible... Crashing is caused from instability. OC'ing is a finesse & patience based hobby. Some people are lucky & able to do large jumps, other people have to do it 100mhz @ a time. OC your CPU first, then move onto memory, following the directions provided above by Dave. Also, make sure you read through that guide I linked above. It's long, and has lots of words, but it's the go-to authority for OC'ing with this mother board.

Man, I hate to say it, but I think about 40% of problems are memory-related. If not more.


Raja/JJ writes good guides, but man.... 45 CPUs? and he has no more info than I do?

I got three chips, could have told you all the same things. I did with Haswell, too, before the launch. ASUS guides for Haswell, suggest keeping vCache in sync or 2-3 multis lower than CPU....but only 3900-4200 MHz on cache is needed for any given clock for 24/7 users(today, boards default to 39 most often. I feel vindicated.tongue.gif). These sorts of discrepancies make figuring out how to deal with issues that arise very difficult, since those guides are more intended for benchmarkers and reviewers, too, and the huge amount of info provided in ASUS guides are most geared towards that sort of user.

ASUS Haswell OC guide...is the reviewer guide.

I didn't look at the guides for IVB-E from ASUS...actually haven't talked to ASUS since before I got these boards.. wasn't even expecting them. One day the first showed up, and a couple of weeks later, the next one did. Second board arrived, I started posting pictures here and on TPU.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with ASUS guides, however. I just don't think you should approach them looking for 24/7 clocking.


BTW, on the ram thing...I don't think you've played with much AMD chips lately. Memory is such a problem for AMD, and once you spend time with that, and then move over to Intel, the commonalities are rather interesting.
Edited by cadaveca - 2/23/14 at 10:24am
post #5897 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post

definitely possible. I'd pop off a couple of BIOS timing screenshots, showing primary, secondary, and tertiary timings, and post 'em..maybe something sticks out.


Ram clocking can be hard..some CPUs are just dogs when it comes to memory...which is why I say focus on CPU first. Memory increase isn't going to make much of a difference after 2133 MHz, since that'll get you over 60000 MB/s @ 4.5 GHz, and the CPUs are "rated" for 59000. Multi-GPU users will see some increases to minimum frames mostly, and that can specifically a huge impact, but other than that, 1600-to-2133 MHz is where I'd suggest most to aim for.



I cleared my cmos, changed to manual, and set the multiplier to 40, still got a blue screen....Im going to go get a new kit of ram really quick from the store and see if that helps....
post #5898 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGreek View Post

I cleared my cmos, changed to manual, and set the multiplier to 40, still got a blue screen....Im going to go get a new kit of ram really quick from the store and see if that helps....

Check VRM settings first..set loadline to high or very-high, and current to 180% VCCSA loadline can also be adjusted to high and 130%. stock vCPU should be 1.1 - 1.2V or so.


Those two VRM items are CRITICAL. No matter what board you run, you gotta adjust power profiling first. Many chips hit 130W throttle @ stock, and board will shut down if OCP is triggered.
post #5899 of 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2507 View Post

install blue screen viewer for ease.

BSV's good. Have you found out what the cause is? I've posted this before but i had what sounded like the exact same issue. Luckily i'd just done a fresh install and was able to narrow it down to one of the drivers included on the BE disk. Can't remember which one though!


Dave - Nice case man! Quick question for you, got another set of 2666c10, only put it in quad and xmp profiles are either 2400c11 or 2666c11. Does it change to cas11 on quad???


Thanks. Will install the BSOD viewer.

There was this weird device driver that I could only install by inserting the disc and have windows search for it. I'll post the screen shot of it's name.

Installing windows definitely took care of my cold boot, BSOD's. But these random shut downs are driving me insane. I also noticed that they started happening after installing 76 windows updates.
post #5900 of 14918
Fair enough, but we are still waiting for you to publish a complete guide!
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
Reply
IT'S WHITE
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k Rampage iv extreme Black Edition GTX Titan  GTX Titan 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
GTX Titan GskillZ Trident X Samsung EVO samsung 840 evo 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Asus External Blue Ray drive 4x 480x60mm Swiftech MCP35x2 Win 8.1.2 
MonitorMonitorMonitorPower
AOC AOC AOC EVGA G2 1300w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
STH10 RAT7 what is this?  Vali / Modi :(  
Other
Corsair HX850 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!