Originally Posted by yttocstfarc
Keep in mind guys this is my first jump into the enthusiast line of computers so I have Limited knowledge. I was able to get my 3570k Stable to 4.4 and have been running that overclock for over a year with no problems so I understand some of the basics
Anybody in the club with a 4820k? If not here is what I've learned in the past week overclocking the new rig. I will tell my steps for overclocking and what results I found. Each time I upped the multiplier x1 I went back into the bios loaded optimized defaults, restarted then changed values and saved and exited.
I started overclocking first by setting XMP 2133 and just upping the multiplier and letting the bios adjust all other adjustments on auto. I started with 4.4 and booted into windows. I did short stability test runs of 15 mins in AIDA64 it passed.
From there I went
4.8 When I booted into windows I noticed that the core voltage was set at 1.536 and that didn't set well with me so I changed it to 1.4v and booted into windows and stability test for 30 mins and it passed. Temps stayed in the mid 60's never even thought about touching 70c. I left it there for a few days just running normal programs, watching YouTube, Netflix, Star Trek Online, Assassin's Creed 4 and during that time I had 1 game crash of AC4. So I bumped the Voltage to 1.405 and left it there. Stability tested that voltage the other night for almost 3 hours then AIDA64 reported a failure.
So here are my questions and maybe you guys can give me some clarity.
1. I was under the impression that I would probably hit a temperature wall with the H100i and that it couldn't keep up with the added frequency and voltage. At full load Aida 64 still mid 60c. What gives?
2. How much higher on the core voltage can I go? In the Asus guide on ROG forum 1.4 was suggested not to go over for non extreme watercooling. I seem to be fine on temps.
3. I haven't had ANY blue screens lock ups freezes etc. Only application crashes, Aida 64, Prime 95 listing errors, The new real bench V2 crashing. Normal or no?
4. By the Ivy-e overclock guide 4.8ghz at 1.4v is only achievable in 2% of the CPU's tested. Did I really get that good of a chip?
5. So far 3 hours in a stress test (AIDA64) is the longest time I've been able to get the system to pass 4.8ghz @ 1.405 bios volts 1.424 under load voltage. It dosen't like Prime95 AT ALL. Only goes a few mins before showing an error.
My Rig is in my signature, as well as a 3dmark11 my best run so far. I am quite happy with the performance that I am getting. I guess I just need some questions answered and maybe some directions on how I should proceed from here. Looking foward to working with you guys and to see if I can learn some more about this system. Thanks in advance!