Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › P8Z68-V/GEN3 PCI-e x16_3 and SLI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

P8Z68-V/GEN3 PCI-e x16_3 and SLI

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I just picked up a Creative Soundblaster Z sound card and I want to install it in my 3rd PCI-e x16 slot.

I just want to make sure that installing it in that lane won't affect the speeds that my cards are in (they are both x8). I checked the manual and it seems like it would not affect the GPUs, only USB3.0 jacks and eSATA, but I'm naturally skeptical.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bind777 View Post

I just picked up a Creative Soundblaster Z sound card and I want to install it in my 3rd PCI-e x16 slot.

I just want to make sure that installing it in that lane won't affect the speeds that my cards are in (they are both x8). I checked the manual and it seems like it would not affect the GPUs, only USB3.0 jacks and eSATA, but I'm naturally skeptical.

It shouldnt. I have a similar setup as well with a sound card and SLI and i am still at x8 and x8
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

It shouldnt. I have a similar setup as well with a sound card and SLI and i am still at x8 and x8

Thanks, Aesthethc. The card arrives today so I'll test it out tonight and see how the performance is. I'll post results tonight.
post #4 of 5
It won't affect your SLi setup and I believe it won't even affect the ASMedia controller until that 3rd PCIe slot is taken to x4.

There is an option in the bios to set the 3rd slot to either x1 or x4. I'd run it on x1 be it that it's just a soundcard.
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengs View Post

It won't affect your SLi setup and I believe it won't even affect the ASMedia controller until that 3rd PCIe slot is taken to x4.

There is an option in the bios to set the 3rd slot to either x1 or x4. I'd run it on x1 be it that it's just a soundcard.

Good to know, thanks.

Yeah, its on Auto at the moment. I'll definitely switch it to x1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › P8Z68-V/GEN3 PCI-e x16_3 and SLI