Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › R9 290 Cooler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

R9 290 Cooler

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
First post here so sorry if I do something wrong. I'm getting a new GPU on Monday, and I really want to get the r9 290. Problem is I've heard the card gets really hot and the fan on it is very loud. Is there a way to install an aftermarket GPU cooler like I did with the CPU in my build? How hard is it? I've built three computers only, and I just started building and know PC components for maybe half a year.
post #2 of 8
Tomshardware did a guide iirc. Isn't that hard to put an aftermarket cooler on a gpu, just need patience

edit: here you go http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671.html
Blackie
(11 items)
 
Old Faithful
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K Asus Z87 PRO GTX 780 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250GB EVO Seagate Barracuda 2TB H90 Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseAudio
Seasonic 660W Platinum Fractal Design R4 Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4 Ghz Gigabyte UD3P Z68XP EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 16 GB Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64 GB Samsung 830 SSD 500 GB Seagate Barracuda  H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Seasonic X 750W 500R Corsair M60 
  hide details  
Reply
Blackie
(11 items)
 
Old Faithful
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K Asus Z87 PRO GTX 780 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250GB EVO Seagate Barracuda 2TB H90 Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseAudio
Seasonic 660W Platinum Fractal Design R4 Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4 Ghz Gigabyte UD3P Z68XP EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 16 GB Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64 GB Samsung 830 SSD 500 GB Seagate Barracuda  H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Seasonic X 750W 500R Corsair M60 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Cards with non-reference coolers will be showing up within the next month, so you'd be better off just waiting for one of those smile.gif
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs17e View Post

Tomshardware did a guide iirc. Isn't that hard to put an aftermarket cooler on a gpu, just need patience

edit: here you go http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671.html

I saw that, thanks. It doesn't seem that hard, but at the same time it seems expensive to buy a cooler. I might just get the 780 if the non reference cards aren't out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post

Cards with non-reference coolers will be showing up within the next month, so you'd be better off just waiting for one of those smile.gif

I've heard rumors that they'll be out next week, next month, and next couple months :/
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonia View Post

First post here so sorry if I do something wrong. I'm getting a new GPU on Monday, and I really want to get the r9 290. Problem is I've heard the card gets really hot and the fan on it is very loud. Is there a way to install an aftermarket GPU cooler like I did with the CPU in my build? How hard is it? I've built three computers only, and I just started building and know PC components for maybe half a year.

Just buy a 7,000 BTU portable air conditioner and blast it at your tower. tongue.gif
post #6 of 8
Please note, patience or not these cards have the warranty stickers on heatsink mounting screws. You will void warranty unless you can find a way to remove those stickers without damaging them. If you arent comfortable with your handy work I suggest what he said above, wait for manufacturers to make cards with custom fans in few weeks time.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEkinci View Post

Please note, patience or not these cards have the warranty stickers on heatsink mounting screws. You will void warranty unless you can find a way to remove those stickers without damaging them. If you arent comfortable with your handy work I suggest what he said above, wait for manufacturers to make cards with custom fans in few weeks time.

my msi had a sticker on the screw. i screwed it. lol. but i also read to just return the gpu with the original cooler installed if ever.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 8 / 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 7 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 8 / 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 7 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Wow. I havent read that article yet, but sounds like its wrong as far as returning. When you remove a heatsink 99% chance they have a warranty sticker somewhere around there that voids the warranty. :/

Unless you are really lucky or bought it from a store such as amazon prime (Newegg and likes that sell computer stuff regularly checks em) whom are not trained for that sort of checks. They simply check the serial number in those stores and websites. However you cannot RMA it ever.

I buy my cards from Amazon Prime, and tell them I am not satisfied with it, their return policy does not have any clause regarding voiding product warranty so I wouldnt be breaking any policies either.
Edited by SamEkinci - 11/24/13 at 11:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ATI Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › R9 290 Cooler