Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Third 670 FTW for more frames in BF4? Worth it ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Third 670 FTW for more frames in BF4? Worth it ?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I read somewhere on a review that three 670's scale horribly, the third one gives like 3% more performance. In Battlefield 4, anyone know if it will scale even worse ? or better?

I am for sure upgrading my motherboard (dont know if i should go ATX or eATX) -- i can get a 670 for less than 200 from a friend.

Im trying to push as much framerate as i can get for my 120hz monitor at my current game settings.

Worth it or not?

Not looking on selling my cards or buying a 780/780ti -- so thats not an option. Not looking on upgrading to a more expensive GPU, just wondered if this third card was worth it or not....
post #2 of 7
Three way SLI or Crossfire is usually not worth it, in MANY games you will have trouble and/or bad scaling.

In BF3 scaling was pretty good with 3 cards though, so guessing the same for BF4. Although adding the third card is no where near the performance of adding the second card.
Usually it goes like this if I don't remember wrong, adding second card is 60-90% more performance, and the third is 20-40%.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4ghz| |Asus Crosshair IV Formula| |EVGA 780TI Classified| |4x2gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz CL7| 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
|840 Pro 256gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Corsair H50| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 100hz| 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
|Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| |Cooler Master 700w Silent Pro Gold| |Antec 1200 Orange mod| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  
AudioAudioAudio
|JBL L890 speakers| |Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic mono amp @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4ghz| |Asus Crosshair IV Formula| |EVGA 780TI Classified| |4x2gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz CL7| 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
|840 Pro 256gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Corsair H50| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 100hz| 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
|Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| |Cooler Master 700w Silent Pro Gold| |Antec 1200 Orange mod| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  
AudioAudioAudio
|JBL L890 speakers| |Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic mono amp @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4life View Post

Three way SLI or Crossfire is usually not worth it, in MANY games you will have trouble and/or bad scaling.

In BF3 scaling was pretty good with 3 cards though, so guessing the same for BF4. Although adding the third card is no where near the performance of adding the second card.
Usually it goes like this if I don't remember wrong, adding second card is 60-90% more performance, and the third is 20-40%.

20-40% would be nice. I just want as much juice as i possibly can without having to do a complete GPU upgrade/replacement (going to a 780 or 780ti) while still being able to reach as close to 120fps as i can.

Im really just trying to juice out my system as much as i can without spending much. I have a budget of $200 and less and i can get a 670 for less than that from a friend.

I guess ill have to wait and see if i come across an OCN member with a similar setup like that that plays BF4..... i wonder how i do that rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

20-40% would be nice. I just want as much juice as i possibly can without having to do a complete GPU upgrade/replacement (going to a 780 or 780ti) while still being able to reach as close to 120fps as i can.

Im really just trying to juice out my system as much as i can without spending much. I have a budget of $200 and less and i can get a 670 for less than that from a friend.

I guess ill have to wait and see if i come across an OCN member with a similar setup like that that plays BF4..... i wonder how i do that rolleyes.gif

Seeing your powersupply, you would have to change that to a bigger one too. I would say a good 1000w or more so you don't stress the PSU too much. 650w for your current setup is already pushing that poor PSU.
So keep that in mind, that you cannot get a third card without a bigger PSU.
I know Stay Puft here on OCN has 3way with GTX 760 which is pretty much a 670, so you could always ask him how it runs.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4ghz| |Asus Crosshair IV Formula| |EVGA 780TI Classified| |4x2gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz CL7| 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
|840 Pro 256gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Corsair H50| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 100hz| 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
|Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| |Cooler Master 700w Silent Pro Gold| |Antec 1200 Orange mod| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  
AudioAudioAudio
|JBL L890 speakers| |Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic mono amp @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4ghz| |Asus Crosshair IV Formula| |EVGA 780TI Classified| |4x2gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz CL7| 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
|840 Pro 256gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Corsair H50| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 100hz| 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
|Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| |Cooler Master 700w Silent Pro Gold| |Antec 1200 Orange mod| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  
AudioAudioAudio
|JBL L890 speakers| |Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic mono amp @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4life View Post

Seeing your powersupply, you would have to change that to a bigger one too. I would say a good 1000w or more so you don't stress the PSU too much. 650w for your current setup is already pushing that poor PSU.
So keep that in mind, that you cannot get a third card without a bigger PSU.
I know Stay Puft here on OCN has 3way with GTX 760 which is pretty much a 670, so you could always ask him how it runs.

PSU is not a problem. OCN is easy to sell and buy things so im not worried thumb.gif

Thanks, ill send him a PM or somethin if i definitely cant find a 3x 670 user here... when i get home from work ill look around i guess... wink.gif
post #6 of 7
Well then you have nothing to worry about smile.gif
There's bound to be some on here, if not do a quick google search! 760 and 670 is almost completely equal, the 670 being a small tad faster. So it will be a good estimate at least.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4ghz| |Asus Crosshair IV Formula| |EVGA 780TI Classified| |4x2gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz CL7| 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
|840 Pro 256gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Corsair H50| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 100hz| 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
|Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| |Cooler Master 700w Silent Pro Gold| |Antec 1200 Orange mod| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  
AudioAudioAudio
|JBL L890 speakers| |Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic mono amp @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4ghz| |Asus Crosshair IV Formula| |EVGA 780TI Classified| |4x2gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz CL7| 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
|840 Pro 256gb| |WD Red 2tb| |Corsair H50| |Windows 10 Pro x64| |27" QNIX QX2710 @ 2560x1440 100hz| 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
|Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB| |Cooler Master 700w Silent Pro Gold| |Antec 1200 Orange mod| |Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB|  
AudioAudioAudio
|JBL L890 speakers| |Emotiva XDA-2 receiver| |2x Advanced Acoustic mono amp @ 200w 8ohm| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
When I recently bought my 670 I was desperately trying to find out which one scaled better with dual/tri SLI and I absolutely could not find the info. Common sense told me that since the 670 is slighter better and a nice overclocker, it shouldn't be any worse in sli. But the 760s are newer so I would still like to know.

What is the psu you need for 670 sli anyway, 700-750W?
Navi 2.1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3  MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaw DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 80Gb SSD+1TB+243Gb Sony Blu-ray drive Corsair H100 +140mm X2 120mm X3 (two intake) Windows 7 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 2560X1440 DAS Keyboard Mechanical 600w Thermaltake LIAN LI PC-B25F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries mouse mat Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Navi 2.1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3  MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaw DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 80Gb SSD+1TB+243Gb Sony Blu-ray drive Corsair H100 +140mm X2 120mm X3 (two intake) Windows 7 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 2560X1440 DAS Keyboard Mechanical 600w Thermaltake LIAN LI PC-B25F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries mouse mat Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Third 670 FTW for more frames in BF4? Worth it ?