Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Need some insight about setting up a loop for my Fractal R4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some insight about setting up a loop for my Fractal R4

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Is there anyone here who has set-up a custom water cooling system in the Fractal Design Define R4? I was just wondering if I would be able to fit 2 radiators in this case. One slim 240mm up top and 1 120mm at the rear exhaust. Just wondering if there would be enough clearance for the 120 in the rear.

Also this question is for any experienced person in water cooling: lets say I can fit the 240 up top as well as a 120 in the rear, would it be okay for me to also throw a slim 240 in the front as well? For what I will be cooling this is a little bit overkill as I only want to cool a 4770k and 1 GTX 770 4gb. But the more rads I can fit then I can slow down the fans and have a quieter system. Is this not ideal as I would only have 1 fresh cool air 120mm fan intake on the bottom or is it okay?
post #2 of 7
I have a Define XL R2. Pretty sure the spacing from the top of the MB to top of case is the same. A 240x30mm rad will fit fine with push or pull only. You can do push pull or use a thicker rad but will hang over MB. Mounting is offset. I have a 280x45 (Alphacool) with 15mm PWM fans in pull at the top of my case. Don't think a 140mm rad will fit in back with the upper rad in place. Better off doing another 240 in the front. If you still want a drive cage, think the bottom drive cage can be moved back towards the power supply to allow the rad and fans at the front.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

I have a Define XL R2. Pretty sure the spacing from the top of the MB to top of case is the same. A 240x30mm rad will fit fine with push or pull only. You can do push pull or use a thicker rad but will hang over MB. Mounting is offset. I have a 280x45 (Alphacool) with 15mm PWM fans in pull at the top of my case. Don't think a 140mm rad will fit in back with the upper rad in place. Better off doing another 240 in the front. If you still want a drive cage, think the bottom drive cage can be moved back towards the power supply to allow the rad and fans at the front.

Well I completely took out both drive cages and have 2 ssds velcro'd behind the motherboard and a hdd up in one of the 5.25" bays with a MASSCOOL adapter/cooler. So idk if your case has the same kind of fan attachment design in the front where they just clip on to the filter. If so, my question is can I do a push/pull in the front?

And if I was to also do push/pull on the top, could I still keep a 140mm fan as a rear exhaust?
post #4 of 7
Mounting is slightly different in the front. Mine actually has metal to screw the rad onto. Front fans are in a similar type mount but filter is part of it and cannot be removed from plastic bracket. You should be able to mount your fans in the plastic bracket and use some 30mm flat head screws through the bracket/fans to rad. some drilling may be required through plastic fan mount. Then screw fans to rad on inside of case.
Keeping the fan in back will be no problem.
Edited by RDKing2 - 11/30/13 at 4:35pm
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

Mounting is slightly different in the front. Mine actually has metal to screw the rad onto. Front fans are in a similar type mount but filter is part of it and cannot be removed from plastic bracket. You should be able to mount your fans in the plastic bracket and use some 30mm flat head screws through the bracket/fans to rad. some drilling may be required through plastic fan mount. Then screw fans to rad on inside of case.
Keeping the fan in back will be no problem.

Okay thanks man smile.gif
post #6 of 7
Just looked at a vid on the Fractal youtube channel. Looks like the screw holes in the front fan mount are there. Not necessarily these screws but some like them to mount rad. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10662/scr-160/M3-05_x_30mm_Radiator_Mount_Screws_-_4-Pack_25mm_Fans.html?tl=g55c479s1244 3mmx30mm flathead Might even be able to do a 280 in the front. Would have to check overall height.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

Just looked at a vid on the Fractal youtube channel. Looks like the screw holes in the front fan mount are there. Not necessarily these screws but some like them to mount rad. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10662/scr-160/M3-05_x_30mm_Radiator_Mount_Screws_-_4-Pack_25mm_Fans.html?tl=g55c479s1244 3mmx30mm flathead Might even be able to do a 280 in the front. Would have to check overall height.

Cool, but I know that the only way to put a 280 in the front is to mod it a little bit, I might end up doing that, its not a hard mod. I would kill to have my set up look like the "Redefine R4" from this guy who customized the crap out of his case you could look it up. His name is Razzbit or something. If I could pay him to make mine like that I would lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Need some insight about setting up a loop for my Fractal R4