Windows Easy Transfer has an option to save Program Settings and Windows Settings. Unfortunately, the Program Settings doesn't apply to ALL installed programs, but you will be able to see which ones by hovering your mouse over the blue circle that has a lower-case "i" in it. You'll see this once you're given the option to choose what to transfer. All you need to do is click "Customize"
So, I'm recommending this:
- Open the Start Menu
- Type windows easy transfer and press Enter
- After it opens, you can press Enter again for "Next"
- On the next part, click one of the 3 options. If you're using an internal hard drive to put everything onto while you format and start over, then choose "An external hard disk or USB flash drive" because then you'll be given the option to choose a location. It will be like a Save or Save As window.
- Select "This is my old computer"
- On the next part, click "Customize" once it's done scanning.
- Hover your mouse over the blue circle that I mentioned earlier in order to see what programs will be included for the Program Settings
Of course, while you're at this part, I recommend customizing it until it's not including anything that you don't want it to include. For example: for me, I'd be excluding everything except for Program Settings and Windows Settings because when I format and start over, everything I want to keep is already on my secondary drive. Tip: click "Advanced" at the bottom of the little window where you're looking at what programs will be included for the Program Settings. This opens up something similar to a Windows Explorer window where you can totally customize what Windows Easy Transfer keeps and what it doesn't. You'll find that even if you deselect everything in the little basic window (the one where you clicked Advanced), you'll still need to click Advanced to come to this pseudo Windows Explorer window to deselect everything else. So, I recommend clicking "Advanced" anyway.
The rest should be pretty straight forward, but of course post any questions if you have any.