I disassembled my rig from its temporary case in order to give myself impetus to get the parts into Splash finally. Weather is good enough for painting and I've been busy with that. Done the power socket, some wiring and sleeving, but not quite finished so pics will have to wait. Also wanted to try painting the PE240 radiator shrouds this weekend, but I'm sick atm with gallstone trouble so might just stay in bed.
So first going to show what I made earlier in the week. I masked off all important parts of my motherboard. Removed the chipset heatsink. Took a can of plastidip and without practicing just went ahead and sprayed the motherboard. Result is so-so, lots of bubbles from impatient spraying. Some parts look okay. I could do better next time. I think it's impossible to remove the rubber safely now. So the motherboard PCB and I/O port housings are mostly white now, sockets and heatsinks are still in the various Asus blues.
Then I took apart my Apogee Drive II. Everything unscrews easily, and the pump itself can be pushed out of the housing with a little force. I cleaned the copper plate inside with some ketchup and a toothbrush because there was some plasticiser sitting between the micro-pin things. Could use some brasso on the underside too, but I'll wait until I am closer to finishing the build. I had previously bought an EKWB DDC-heatsink and wanted to try if it fit on the AD2. Initially that was going to match the stock Swiftech housing, which is why I bought the black one.
Then I looked at it and thought: it's no good to have a black block on this white motherboard. It was a lot of work to sand down the EK heatsink. I even tried using 'afbijt' not sure what it's called in English, but it is supposed to melt paint. That really made a mess of things and it didn't shift the paint at all. In the end I decided just to spray white on black and hope it was good enough. I used a gloss white paint intended for central heating radiators.
Next step was to mask off the pump block and spray it some colour. I agonised a lot about this. White would look cleaner, but with all the blue parts on the motherboard maybe I should make it constrast with the heatsink. I tried to take off the thumb screws before painting, but if I would break any circlips then replacement would be hard to find, presuming Swiftech uses American sized circlips. So I left the mounting screws on. I cut the rubber to allow them to turn, but they are stuck now in the socket 1155 positions.
Last thing to do was get some new screws. The ugly crosshead screws in first picture above were a kind of self-tapping screw with a low TPI. I used an M4 tap and very carefully re-threaded into the pump block. I found some nice M4x20 socket head cap bolts in black.