Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Downgrade Kingston V300 SSD Firmware
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Downgrade Kingston V300 SSD Firmware

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I bought a Kingston V300 for $60 as part of the black friday deals.
Trouble is that the current firmware: 506 has some problem that reduces the speed from the 505 firmware in which all the reviews are based.

I spent a lot of time yesterday trying without much luck, but I did learn a lot and I'll summarize.

1) Originally all the V300's were made in Taiwan, but later they moved at least some production to China. Some think they are using lower quality components and it isn't the firmware that's the problem.
2) The V300 uses the Sandforce 2281 controller. The same one used by OCZ, Mushkin, and others.
3) Kingston firmware is directly based on what Sandforce gives them. For example Kingston calls it 505 firmware and Sandforce 5.0.5. However there must be some small changes, because a Mushkin 5.0.5 will not work with Kingston. I've tried!
4) Sandforce has released a 5.0.7 firmware and OCZ and Mushkin are using it, but not Kingston. Not yet anyway.
5) Kingston has a program called: Field Updater, that is directly from Sandforce for upgrading firmware. It is skinned with Kingston company info, but Mushkin and OCZ use the same program.
6) Kingston is switching to a different firmware updater. I'm not sure who developed this software, but it is making it hard to find old firmware, such as 505.

Right now I've hit a roadblock, because I can't find the Kingston 505 firmware to even attempt a downgrade.
There are actually three current firmwares out there, including two 505 versions:

505ABBF1
505ABBF0
506ABBF0

I have the last one on my drive.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Core i5 6600
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600 Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P  Powercolor 2GB 7870 (TAHITI LE) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-2800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe LG GGC-H20LK: Blu-ray & HD-DVD Windows 10 Pro Dell UltraSharp U2414H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 967740-0403 EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750 W Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
Core i5 6600
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600 Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P  Powercolor 2GB 7870 (TAHITI LE) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-2800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe LG GGC-H20LK: Blu-ray & HD-DVD Windows 10 Pro Dell UltraSharp U2414H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 967740-0403 EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750 W Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 15
I have the same thing here buddy. I feel you. I have one with the 506ABBF0.




GL to us and everybody else who has to stupid 5.0.6 firmware.
post #3 of 15
found this and another topic on this mather:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35676298

I mailed them now 24h ago and still no reply as they state in their receipt mail.
I posted on their FB page not removed yet but also no feedback..

it's clear that the new firmware upgrade caused the drive to perform right in his price class...
but than the internet should be updated, know about the fact most benchmarks are not accurate anymore..

let's stick together and make them release firmware 505 as 507 again! we want our advertised 450/450 again.

PS: on the site they mention only with ATTO but let's be honest, they're janking our wallet.
before the drive scored well in ALL benchmarks..so they restricted the hardware for us,
except for the money why would a company hold technology back, to stop evolution! €€€/$$$

they lured us with the bait & switch trick, if they are concerned about their customers and reputation,
they will have to comply..

any other victims?
your 2 cents?
Edited by Brammie2005 - 1/8/14 at 11:09pm
post #4 of 15
Unfortunately I have the same problem with low performance. Here is answer to my question about if from kingston support:
Quote:
Dear Mateusz,

thank you for contacting Kingston Technology,

Please note that for the product SV300S37A/120G we specify the following scores as per our website; these are based on the drive being tested in an out of box state, using ATTO Disk Benchmark 2.41:

Sequential reads SATA Rev. 3.0 up to: 450MB/s

Sequential writes SATA Rev. 3.0 up to: 450MB/s

We state further that the speed may vary due to host hardware, software and usage.

In other words, if you are using different bench-marking software with the drive, you may get varying results which can give the false impression that the Dear

While ATTO Disk Benchmark uses compressible data to test the drive’s performance, AS SSD uses a mixture of either random or sequential and compressible or incompressible data. Lastly, Crystal Disk Mark defaults to using incompressible data, but this setting can be changed to benchmark the drive using compressible data instead.

SV300 is one of Kingston's value drives and in some cases we may vary components supply to keep the price target and a good availability.

There is however no significant performance variation between the different SSD builds.

Please use a bench-marking software which uses compressible data and a drive which is in a out-of-box state for an accurate reflection of the SV300 performance.

If you find that the test results vary greatly from those published, please do not hesitate to contact us, providing us with detailed information about the test parameters.

I hope I'll be able to return this disk to shop where I bought it..
post #5 of 15
in belgium you can return (unopened) bought goods within 7-14 calenderdays..too late for me..

since there are only a few (2-3) topics about this I missed them and since I read every positive review - like dozens of them) now I'm superpissed.

they are not lying to you, it's the exact same ssd...but guess what Kingston:

since firmware 506 your customers are NOT getting the same benchmark results as you see online...OK for ATTO but who cares.
my packaging doesn"t even say ATTO it says crystalmark,pcmark etc..BUT...

in the pro-505-era your ssd was scoring like a mtf in EVERY benchmark..

same drive, different performance, difference? FIRMWARE=>

THE INTERNET SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS!! every post on kingston facebook I jump on it..gonna do a little internetstalking.
on my reply to their "more additional unnecesary questions mail" they didnt respond yet..I didn't give them too much explanation. just the raw basic little naughty answers wink.gif

another 48+ hours of wating for a reply? Only making me more lean. do you even lift Kingston??
post #6 of 15
"If you find that the test results vary greatly from those published, please do not hesitate to contact us, providing us with detailed information about the test parameters"

don't mind if I do...
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brammie2005 View Post

in belgium you can return (unopened) bought goods within 7-14 calenderdays..too late for me..

since there are only a few (2-3) topics about this I missed them and since I read every positive review - like dozens of them) now I'm superpissed.

they are not lying to you, it's the exact same ssd...but guess what Kingston:

since firmware 506 your customers are NOT getting the same benchmark results as you see online...OK for ATTO but who cares.
my packaging doesn"t even say ATTO it says crystalmark,pcmark etc..BUT...

in the pro-505-era your ssd was scoring like a mtf in EVERY benchmark..

same drive, different performance, difference? FIRMWARE=>

THE INTERNET SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS!! every post on kingston facebook I jump on it..gonna do a little internetstalking.
on my reply to their "more additional unnecesary questions mail" they didnt respond yet..I didn't give them too much explanation. just the raw basic little naughty answers wink.gif

another 48+ hours of wating for a reply? Only making me more lean. do you even lift Kingston??
The difference in performance with compressed data is most likely NAND rather than firmware:
Quote:
SV300 is one of Kingston's value drives and in some cases we may vary components supply to keep the price target and a good availability.

More explanation: http://www.overclock.net/t/1457629/psa-about-the-kingston-v300-ssd-probable-foul-play-by-kingston#post_21553031
post #8 of 15
didn't read the whole thing but didn't read the part where you can obtain +500mb/s on compressable data but not even 150 in regular cases with these slower NANDS..

anyway it doens't change my opinion , if you go online and you check the reviews and ALL benchmarks..you'll find that the reflection of it's performance it not on par.

this means the drive should be retested and people should know about it told by the reviewers,the consumers etc..not by the packaging of the manufacturer,they cover themselves for anything...

like the speeds are "up to..450.." hell i could get a drive performing worse than my old mechanical harddrive, it doesn"t mather..

I bought this cause I know what I was buying..they're just milking the simple man and some very frustrated enthousiast like myself!

not giving up, they will give me a hyperX,an old 505 drive or at least cash back on mine or I will try and hammer even more on this on the several sites I'm doing now.

but thanks for the effort..I suppose you're not in my situation since you otherwise wouldn't be rubbin it in? tongue.gif
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brammie2005 View Post

didn't read the whole thing but didn't read the part where you can obtain +500mb/s on compressable data but not even 150 in regular cases with these slower NANDS..

anyway it doens't change my opinion , if you go online and you check the reviews and ALL benchmarks..you'll find that the reflection of it's performance it not on par.

this means the drive should be retested and people should know about it told by the reviewers,the consumers etc..not by the packaging of the manufacturer,they cover themselves for anything...

like the speeds are "up to..450.." hell i could get a drive performing worse than my old mechanical harddrive, it doesn"t mather..

I bought this cause I know what I was buying..they're just milking the simple man and some very frustrated enthousiast like myself!

not giving up, they will give me a hyperX,an old 505 drive or at least cash back on mine or I will try and hammer even more on this on the several sites I'm doing now.

but thanks for the effort..I suppose you're not in my situation since you otherwise wouldn't be rubbin it in? tongue.gif

Not sure what your point is, but no one is saying that the decrease in performance is justified by the use of different NAND chips, just that it is caused by different NAND chips.

So you didn't read both sections of that post?

Also not sure who you are referring to when you said "rubbin it in", but Sean has the same SSD as you do, with the same performance issue.

Reviewers would not automatically retest these SSDs, since Kingston does not say they are new. Which model do you thing Kingston would send a reviewer now? No chance they would send them one of these poor performing types.
post #10 of 15
rubbin it in - joke (hence the smiley face)

no didn't read the whole article was in the car but wanted to respond.

i don't care how and why but the drive is not the same as I researched it on google a few months ago.

people should be aware of this before considering this drive..

is there a proper review of the 506 someware to found made by any famous (youtube-)reviewer(-website)?

regards to all and have a nice weekend!

edit: ps: indeed they will not inform/send/let them retest is but I would like to draw attention to it, I'm just not willing (yet) to send my drive all over the world :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Downgrade Kingston V300 SSD Firmware