Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [POLYGON] Law firm kicks off investigation into EA and Battlefield 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[POLYGON] Law firm kicks off investigation into EA and Battlefield 4 - Page 22

post #211 of 240
please delete
Edited by Artev - 12/16/13 at 3:54pm
post #212 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucers View Post

I've taken the liberty of bolding your mistake. A bug is a fundamental flaw in the engine. That doesn't mean that it's unfixable, but so what? So many thousands of people are unable to reliably play BF4 right now that it really doesn't matter if someday in the future the bugs will be fixed. The game is broken now, for people who paid 60 dollars to play it.

And the fact that some people can play BF4 without crashing is utterly irrelevant. When discussing issues with a game's stability, the one and only number that matters is how many people cannot play the game. The number of people who can play BF4 isn't a feather in DICE's cap; it's a bare minimum expectation for the release of a Triple A title. When you see forums overflowing with user complaints, and the entire company shutting down all other production until the issues are ironed out, you know that the game is in dire need of some maintenance.

hi, have we met? discussing things on overclock.net is like playing the telephone game with people who just want to argue, You misunderstood what I meant and instead of asking for clarity you went on attack. All i was saying was, when the game works, it is a fundamentally fun game. At its core, BF4 is a very enjoyable experience. When it is fixed, I hope everyone gets to enjoy it the same way I do, because I view it as a good game that obviously has some major bugs that need worked out. That is all I am saying, that is all I have ever said and I don't know why it angers people so much whistle.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Nope, I don't....

ok well please ignore me from now on, i get it, you disagree with an opinion i have about a video game.
post #213 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

The point being, that it is a "registered" hit and does not rely on physics.


Thus "arcade", and not a simulator/real world, physics based game. There is no argument. Less ur trying to defend COD..




edit:
Glad someone got the oldschool doom era ref to sprites.

It was still called hitscan in doom. Sprites aren't an entity at all, they don't mean anything in any physical aspect to game mechanics. There just a face for the mechanics, it's an image term. The reason why people are saying you are wrong, as wrong as wrong can be, is because sprites just represent objects. There is still the actual game mechanics behind that.

On top of that, Doom was NEVER an arcade game. It didn't happen, so even with your "arcade" crap that's wrong.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Arcade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(video_game)

So really, you aren't only wrong on sprites you are wrong on doom being "arcade".

As for defending COD, hitscan is a technique that's been in multiple games I just used recent ones that were popular as an example. Hitscan has been around forever, it's a single technique they use for registering how guns work in an FPS. As upposed to EA doing real projectiles that have physics, with bullet drop and travel speed. It's just that the lag you see in these videos don't properly represent this. I'm guessing there is a fudge in their bullet mechanics that is causing some of these issues.

If you are going to argue a point, argue something properly. And no, just because something looks like arcade graphics, doesn't mean it is an arcade style. There's so much fail in your logic through out this that it's indefinitely funny.

[edit] While I'm aware FPS arcade games do work (?), it's really not exactly a well defined thing. What makes and arcade game isn't the graphics, it's literally the money. A lot of the game play is based off being fast paced with a huge incentive given towards adding money. Which changes how the game gets played, it isn't simply because of simple mechanics. When you look at games like Castlevania SOTN, it's classic "arcade" style in ways. While I could see it made into one, as it stands it isn't. Scoring is also a prominent thing when it comes to arcades, it plays a huge role in how the game is designed.

Bluntly, you can't take a game and go "I've seen arcade games just like that, that's got to be an arcade game". That's like a kid looking at a soccer ball and calling it a volley ball. Sure, they are very similar, but there is a reason they have different names in the end. Some FPS games have been converted, doesn't mean all FPS games are arcade games.

[edit - ugh I need to clarify something] Arcade isn't a genera or a style. If Arcade games were a specific genera to video games, we would have to re-define Arcade games like ski-ball and pinball. Because they are Arcade games, because there is no Arcade genera or style that's possible. Developers and Publishers who push the term "arcade game" for video games are doing the same injustice as bloggers are calling themselves journalists. They are just trying to use a buzz word to bring in a broader audience, and I'm not dumb enough to fall for that. You don't just use a word in the context you feel fit, that's why we have a dictionary.

Further more, this shows the state of consumers for video games. And then we wonder why EA got into this mess. When we allow developers and publishers to do as they wish without regard to what this is all about, things go down hill. I'm saying this before some stupid witty comment is said about "arcade" games and stuff like the indie market. Just because somebody calls it something doesn't mean they are right.
Edited by mushroomboy - 12/16/13 at 10:39pm
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #214 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It was still called hitscan in doom. Sprites aren't an entity at all, they don't mean anything in any physical aspect to game mechanics. There just a face for the mechanics, it's an image term. The reason why people are saying you are wrong, as wrong as wrong can be, is because sprites just represent objects. There is still the actual game mechanics behind that.

On top of that, Doom was NEVER an arcade game. It didn't happen, so even with your "arcade" crap that's wrong.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Arcade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(video_game)

So really, you aren't only wrong on sprites you are wrong on doom being "arcade".

As for defending COD, hitscan is a technique that's been in multiple games I just used recent ones that were popular as an example. Hitscan has been around forever, it's a single technique they use for registering how guns work in an FPS. As upposed to EA doing real projectiles that have physics, with bullet drop and travel speed. It's just that the lag you see in these videos don't properly represent this. I'm guessing there is a fudge in their bullet mechanics that is causing some of these issues.

If you are going to argue a point, argue something properly. And no, just because something looks like arcade graphics, doesn't mean it is an arcade style. There's so much fail in your logic through out this that it's indefinitely funny.

[edit] While I'm aware FPS arcade games do work (?), it's really not exactly a well defined thing. What makes and arcade game isn't the graphics, it's literally the money. A lot of the game play is based off being fast paced with a huge incentive given towards adding money. Which changes how the game gets played, it isn't simply because of simple mechanics. When you look at games like Castlevania SOTN, it's classic "arcade" style in ways. While I could see it made into one, as it stands it isn't. Scoring is also a prominent thing when it comes to arcades, it plays a huge role in how the game is designed.

Bluntly, you can't take a game and go "I've seen arcade games just like that, that's got to be an arcade game". That's like a kid looking at a soccer ball and calling it a volley ball. Sure, they are very similar, but there is a reason they have different names in the end. Some FPS games have been converted, doesn't mean all FPS games are arcade games.

[edit - ugh I need to clarify something] Arcade isn't a genera or a style. If Arcade games were a specific genera to video games, we would have to re-define Arcade games like ski-ball and pinball. Because they are Arcade games, because there is no Arcade genera or style that's possible. Developers and Publishers who push the term "arcade game" for video games are doing the same injustice as bloggers are calling themselves journalists. They are just trying to use a buzz word to bring in a broader audience, and I'm not dumb enough to fall for that. You don't just use a word in the context you feel fit, that's why we have a dictionary.

Further more, this shows the state of consumers for video games. And then we wonder why EA got into this mess. When we allow developers and publishers to do as they wish without regard to what this is all about, things go down hill. I'm saying this before some stupid witty comment is said about "arcade" games and stuff like the indie market. Just because somebody calls it something doesn't mean they are right.
Couldnt have said it better myself (I actually mean that haha). REP+ for you.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #215 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artev View Post

hi, have we met? discussing things on overclock.net is like playing the telephone game with people who just want to argue, You misunderstood what I meant and instead of asking for clarity you went on attack. All i was saying was, when the game works, it is a fundamentally fun game. At its core, BF4 is a very enjoyable experience. When it is fixed, I hope everyone gets to enjoy it the same way I do, because I view it as a good game that obviously has some major bugs that need worked out. That is all I am saying, that is all I have ever said and I don't know why it angers people so much whistle.gif
ok well please ignore me from now on, i get it, you disagree with an opinion i have about a video game.

Don't act like having your opinion challenged is some kind of outrageous civil rights violation. Nobody is angry - there's a difference between someone disagreeing with you and someone censoring your right to an opinion. You don't get to just say "any dissenting opinions can just ignore me from now on" when you post uninformed nonsense on a public forum
post #216 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint3dBulge View Post

BF2142 that game the first 2 weeks sucked so bad.. Then they patched it and it was perfect from there on out... Miss that game so much.. I miss Suez Canal...

Me too. It is one of the best ever. Can't wait for 2143.
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
750GB Samsung 840EVO 256GB Crucial M4 150GB Velociraptor 1TB Samsung F1 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus DRW-24B1ST Phanteks PH-TC14PE Win 10 64-bit 27" Qnix QX2710 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master QuickFire Ultimate Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech G500s 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Func Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX M-Audia AV 40 Polk PSW10 Sub 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
750GB Samsung 840EVO 256GB Crucial M4 150GB Velociraptor 1TB Samsung F1 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus DRW-24B1ST Phanteks PH-TC14PE Win 10 64-bit 27" Qnix QX2710 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master QuickFire Ultimate Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech G500s 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Func Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX M-Audia AV 40 Polk PSW10 Sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #217 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucers View Post

Don't act like having your opinion challenged is some kind of outrageous civil rights violation. Nobody is angry - there's a difference between someone disagreeing with you and someone censoring your right to an opinion. You don't get to just say "any dissenting opinions can just ignore me from now on" when you post uninformed nonsense on a public forum

what uninformed nonsense did i post? seriously, all i have ever said was "the game works ok for some people!" which is true. and the "please ignore me" was directed at the poster that i quoted, because he has been deliberately taking things out of context and ignoring the entire point of my posts for a couple of days now. it had nothing to do with you. and now you're here attacking me because of ????? who the hell knows? i never said it was a civil rights issue (where did you get that? seriously?!?!?!) all i said was, "its difficult discussing things on this thread because people seem more interested in disagreeing than understand even what i am trying to say" which you thoroughly proved in your post. Thanks!

for the record:

I enjoy bf4. that is my opinion. I play it every night, it rarely crashes for me. That is a fact that i have direct 1st hand experience with. i know the game has significant bugs that cause other people to have a bad experience, I hope those bugs are fixed soon so everyone can enjoy it. I think the game is fun (MY OPINION) and a great game (again, MY OPINION). i'm done w/ this thread.
Edited by Artev - 12/17/13 at 10:37am
post #218 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucers View Post

I've taken the liberty of bolding your mistake. A bug is a fundamental flaw in the engine. That doesn't mean that it's unfixable, but so what? So many thousands of people are unable to reliably play BF4 right now that it really doesn't matter if someday in the future the bugs will be fixed. The game is broken now, for people who paid 60 dollars to play it.

And the fact that some people can play BF4 without crashing is utterly irrelevant. When discussing issues with a game's stability, the one and only number that matters is how many people cannot play the game. The number of people who can play BF4 isn't a feather in DICE's cap; it's a bare minimum expectation for the release of a Triple A title. When you see forums overflowing with user complaints, and the entire company shutting down all other production until the issues are ironed out, you know that the game is in dire need of some maintenance.

Agreed...

I paid for the Premium Gold Star Plus Platinum Deluxe Service Package v.4 and expect to get that back in game play.

(Paid over 100+ dollars for BF4 up front) That includes all map packs.


No one wants to by a Mabach with no tires on it... Plus a crack in the windsheild. Then turn around and say its drivable...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel®Core™ i7-6920HQ  MSI GT80S 6QF-072 MXM GTX 980 SLI Kingston HyperXImpact CL14 Dual Channel 8GB X4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB X2 Samsung 850 Pro 2TB ASUS Blu-Ray/ Asus CD Burner Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (Came with laptop) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer HN274H BMIIID 3D 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Bui... 330W Power Brick MSI GT80S Titan 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitec Proteus Core Whatever works! Nahimic Sound Wireless Killer 1535 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel®Core™ i7-6920HQ  MSI GT80S 6QF-072 MXM GTX 980 SLI Kingston HyperXImpact CL14 Dual Channel 8GB X4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB X2 Samsung 850 Pro 2TB ASUS Blu-Ray/ Asus CD Burner Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (Came with laptop) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer HN274H BMIIID 3D 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Bui... 330W Power Brick MSI GT80S Titan 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitec Proteus Core Whatever works! Nahimic Sound Wireless Killer 1535 
  hide details  
Reply
post #219 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankzro View Post

Agreed...

I paid for the Premium Gold Star Plus Platinum Deluxe Service Package v.4 and expect to get that back in game play.

(Paid over 100+ dollars for BF4 up front) That includes all map packs.


No one wants to by a Mabach with no tires on it... Plus a crack in the windsheild. Then turn around and say its drivable...

Maybach doesn't exist anymore, fyi. thumb.gif
 
NZXT Source 210
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 XFX RX480 GTR Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP 
CoolingOSPowerCase
NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro EVGA Supernova 750 G3 NZXT S340 Glossy Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 XFX Radeon RX 480 Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital WD5003AZEX Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Pro LG GH24NS95 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 40" 1080p Vizio LED LCD HDTV Corsair CX600M 
Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite - Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 3.2GHz Dell N6381 Intel Extreme Graphics 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 512MB DDR 400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital 160GB IDE Covered in a thick layer of dust Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Dell M0148 250w 
Case
Dell Dimension 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
 
NZXT Source 210
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 XFX RX480 GTR Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP 
CoolingOSPowerCase
NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro EVGA Supernova 750 G3 NZXT S340 Glossy Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 XFX Radeon RX 480 Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital WD5003AZEX Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Pro LG GH24NS95 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 40" 1080p Vizio LED LCD HDTV Corsair CX600M 
Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite - Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 3.2GHz Dell N6381 Intel Extreme Graphics 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 512MB DDR 400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital 160GB IDE Covered in a thick layer of dust Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Dell M0148 250w 
Case
Dell Dimension 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #220 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezman View Post

Maybach doesn't exist anymore, fyi. thumb.gif

Awesome thumb.gif

EA and DICE may meet the same fate if they don't get it together.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel®Core™ i7-6920HQ  MSI GT80S 6QF-072 MXM GTX 980 SLI Kingston HyperXImpact CL14 Dual Channel 8GB X4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB X2 Samsung 850 Pro 2TB ASUS Blu-Ray/ Asus CD Burner Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (Came with laptop) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer HN274H BMIIID 3D 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Bui... 330W Power Brick MSI GT80S Titan 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitec Proteus Core Whatever works! Nahimic Sound Wireless Killer 1535 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel®Core™ i7-6920HQ  MSI GT80S 6QF-072 MXM GTX 980 SLI Kingston HyperXImpact CL14 Dual Channel 8GB X4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB X2 Samsung 850 Pro 2TB ASUS Blu-Ray/ Asus CD Burner Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (Came with laptop) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer HN274H BMIIID 3D 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Bui... 330W Power Brick MSI GT80S Titan 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitec Proteus Core Whatever works! Nahimic Sound Wireless Killer 1535 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [POLYGON] Law firm kicks off investigation into EA and Battlefield 4