Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Planning on buying a new card, is 2GB Vram fine for 1080p and the future?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Planning on buying a new card, is 2GB Vram fine for 1080p and the future? - Page 3

Poll Results: Is 2GB Video ram fine for 1080p, between now and the future?

 
  • 53% (24)
    Yes
  • 20% (9)
    No
  • 26% (12)
    Meh
45 Total Votes  
post #21 of 42
To the OP: Personally I would just wait a bit more and grab a GTX 770. I know its out of your budget, but what? Save up for an extra week or 2? The GTX 770 is a higher clock/refined GTX 680............probably the best bang for the buck. And worth saving up a lil longer for IMO. You can score 4gb version of it for about $350 shipped.
post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

To the OP: Personally I would just wait a bit more and grab a GTX 770. I know its out of your budget, but what? Save up for an extra week or 2? The GTX 770 is a higher clock/refined GTX 680............probably the best bang for the buck. And worth saving up a lil longer for IMO. You can score 4gb version of it for about $350 shipped.

Thanks, I'll think about it. I did want it at first but the budget was a concern.
Atm Im gonna stick to the 760-7950 range and If I can get a 770 I'll get it because it is a really fast card.
Edited by TopicClocker - 12/18/13 at 11:39am
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

Thanks, I'll think about it. I did want it at first but the budget was a concern.
Atm Im gonna stick to the 760-7950 range and If I can get a 770 I'll get it because it is a really fast card.
Like I said, whats a few more weeks saving up? Im sure your current card can suffice for a bit longer. thumb.gif

I mean look at it this way. A GTX 760 is basically a slightly OC'd GTX 670 with LESS texture mapping units. But a GTX 770 is a full blown GTX 680 that's been OC'd and can be had with 4gb. Its 20-40% stronger across the board. WHats not to like about that? Yep you will spend a bit more up front, but its going to last longer too in terms of giving strong graphical performance.

You KNOW that if you save up and wait a bit longer for the GTX 770 that you will NEVER regret the decision.........but you very well may regret settling for the 760. wink.gif
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

Like I said, whats a few more weeks saving up? Im sure your current card can suffice for a bit longer. thumb.gif

I mean look at it this way. A GTX 760 is basically a slightly OC'd GTX 670 with LESS texture mapping units. But a GTX 770 is a full blown GTX 680 that's been OC'd and can be had with 4gb. Its 20-40% stronger across the board. WHats not to like about that? Yep you will spend a bit more up front, but its going to last longer too in terms of giving strong graphical performance.

You KNOW that if you save up and wait a bit longer for the GTX 770 that you will NEVER regret the decision.........but you very well may regret settling for the 760. wink.gif

a 770 is not 40% faster than a 680.

a 770 is a 680 with faster memory clock speeds and a slightly faster core speed. If you buy a 680, raise the memory clock speed and then OC it a bit; you essentially get yourself a 770.

a 760 is indeed a weaker 670 but NVidia has allowed the 760 to clock higher than the 670 at stock speeds thus slightly making it "almost as good as a 670".

If you can save the extra, do it; if not dont kill yourself over it. The differences arent huge from a 760 to a 770. Its noticable, but it isnt huge. 10-15 more fps average probably.... but saying 40% more performance is such an arbitrary number.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

a 770 is not 40% faster than a 680.

a 770 is a 680 with faster memory clock speeds and a slightly faster core speed. If you buy a 680, raise the memory clock speed and then OC it a bit; you essentially get yourself a 770.

a 760 is indeed a weaker 670 but NVidia has allowed the 760 to clock higher than the 670 at stock speeds thus slightly making it "almost as good as a 670".

If you can save the extra, do it; if not dont kill yourself over it. The differences arent huge from a 760 to a 770. Its noticable, but it isnt huge. 10-15 more fps average probably.... but saying 40% more performance is such an arbitrary number.

A. Im talking about a GTX 770 being 20-40% faster than a GTX 760.

B. That's great talking about OCing the older series to bring it up to the new series in terms of performance, but you seem to forget that you can OC the new series too. wink.gif If your going to do an AB comparison, do them when both items in question are stock, and then when BOTH are OC'd. wink.gif

In a number of games where the framerates may be low, an extra 10-15fps makes a BG difference. wink.gif That's where it matters, now and especially in the future. wink.gif
post #26 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

a 770 is not 40% faster than a 680.

a 770 is a 680 with faster memory clock speeds and a slightly faster core speed. If you buy a 680, raise the memory clock speed and then OC it a bit; you essentially get yourself a 770.

a 760 is indeed a weaker 670 but NVidia has allowed the 760 to clock higher than the 670 at stock speeds thus slightly making it "almost as good as a 670".

If you can save the extra, do it; if not dont kill yourself over it. The differences arent huge from a 760 to a 770. Its noticable, but it isnt huge. 10-15 more fps average probably.... but saying 40% more performance is such an arbitrary number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

Like I said, whats a few more weeks saving up? Im sure your current card can suffice for a bit longer. thumb.gif

I mean look at it this way. A GTX 760 is basically a slightly OC'd GTX 670 with LESS texture mapping units. But a GTX 770 is a full blown GTX 680 that's been OC'd and can be had with 4gb. Its 20-40% stronger across the board. WHats not to like about that? Yep you will spend a bit more up front, but its going to last longer too in terms of giving strong graphical performance.

You KNOW that if you save up and wait a bit longer for the GTX 770 that you will NEVER regret the decision.........but you very well may regret settling for the 760. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

Like I said, whats a few more weeks saving up? Im sure your current card can suffice for a bit longer. thumb.gif

I mean look at it this way. A GTX 760 is basically a slightly OC'd GTX 670 with LESS texture mapping units. But a GTX 770 is a full blown GTX 680 that's been OC'd and can be had with 4gb. Its 20-40% stronger across the board. WHats not to like about that? Yep you will spend a bit more up front, but its going to last longer too in terms of giving strong graphical performance.

You KNOW that if you save up and wait a bit longer for the GTX 770 that you will NEVER regret the decision.........but you very well may regret settling for the 760. wink.gif

I could feel the disappointment when I thought to my self I'd have to downsize to a 760, I'd been looking at some cards and making my way up, a brief look at the 270-270x, thought to myself that would be the next card, then went up a little and came across the 760 which is a perfect balance between price and performance, went up a bit more and was blown away by what the 770 could do.

You're right but if I was required to make the choice now it would be the 760 because of its balance in price, I was initially thinking to myself I would get a 270-270x but that's changed now, the 760s already a massive upgrade from my current gpu so I can't really complain if I do get it over a 770, from some benches I've seen the 760 does 2-2.5x the fps my current gpu is capable which is crazy, I was thinking about crossfire a couple months back but compared to the GPUs that are out now that can be had for a bit more they decimate the CF performance.

I can find cheaper 770s for £40 more or so, I might hold out a bit longer but I want to do some good research, at the moment the Gigabyte 760 seems like the way to go on 760 territory. Who knows I may just stick with the 6850 for a month more and not get a card for Christmas or at all.

Thanks though I see where you're going with the 770's performance, it looks to me it's 10-25fps faster on average as Aesthethc said, If I can get it within the next couple of days or month I will, or I might just get a 760 and SLI it in the future when necessary which should surpass 770 performance, £240+ is a bit steep on a GPU for me, considering the rest of my components are a lot cheaper and are starting to show their age, I'm one of those people who haven't spent over £200 on a gpu previously, mainly because I haven't needed to, the last gen systems where no competition in reality, but now the new systems have come out I dont want to be left in the dust haha.

I'm considering £200 because the next gen consoles have stepped up, the Xbox One isn't doing much hardware wise so I'm not worried about it, the PS4's GPU is however.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Edited by TopicClocker - 12/18/13 at 12:43pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

A. Im talking about a GTX 770 being 20-40% faster than a GTX 760.

B. That's great talking about OCing the older series to bring it up to the new series in terms of performance, but you seem to forget that you can OC the new series too. wink.gif If your going to do an AB comparison, do them when both items in question are stock, and then when BOTH are OC'd. wink.gif

In a number of games where the framerates may be low, an extra 10-15fps makes a BG difference. wink.gif That's where it matters, now and especially in the future. wink.gif

A. Ok

B. When did i not state that you could OC a 700 series? I even mentioned that you can overclock a 760 to match a 670. That should be more than enough evidence to show you that i clearly know you can OC a 760 or 770.

C. 10-15fps =/= 40% difference. An example is a 770 that gets about 54 fps average, and a 760 gets about 43 fps avg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/3

the difference of 11 fps is indeed BIG, but it is NOT 40% difference. At stock, the 760 might be close to 20-30% behind a 770. Its about a $100 difference for the extra 10 fps that can be achieved with a simple overclock.

Like i said the difference is noticable; but it isnt HUGE.
post #28 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

A. Ok

B. When did i not state that you could OC a 700 series? I even mentioned that you can overclock a 760 to match a 670. That should be more than enough evidence to show you that i clearly know you can OC a 760 or 770.

C. 10-15fps =/= 40% difference. An example is a 770 that gets about 54 fps average, and a 760 gets about 43 fps avg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/3

the difference of 11 fps is indeed BIG, but it is NOT 40% difference. At stock, the 760 might be close to 20-30% behind a 770. Its about a $100 difference for the extra 10 fps that can be achieved with a simple overclock.

Like i said the difference is noticable; but it isnt HUGE.

This reminds me of the 670 vs 680 dilemma, alot of people were saying you're spending like 100 more for a 10fps difference, which justifies the purchasing of a 670 basically, and its kind of the same case again with the 760 vs 770 this time round.
As much as I'd love the extra performance from a 770 and having a better card, is it really justifiable by spending much more for a card which is only a couple frames better, let alone 4GB cards which come with the full price from shops I've seen.

The 760s a massive performance and graphical step up to me from my current GPU, i dont think it would be simple to regret the purchase, the 770 is better but it does cost quite a bit more, I think it would be easier to regret purchasing a 760 over a 7950 which is what i initially started the thread because of, losing Physx features, loosing better performance when both cards can be had for similar prices.

Like I said If I can get a 770 I will but atm I'm focusing on the 760 and an AMD equivalent, not necessarily a better and more expensive Nvidia card, but I have had the 770 brought back into consideration, it does get a bit more complex when you compare the 770 to 280x in choice making and performance for the price.
Edited by TopicClocker - 12/18/13 at 1:05pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

A. Ok

B. When did i not state that you could OC a 700 series? I even mentioned that you can overclock a 760 to match a 670. That should be more than enough evidence to show you that i clearly know you can OC a 760 or 770.

C. 10-15fps =/= 40% difference. An example is a 770 that gets about 54 fps average, and a 760 gets about 43 fps avg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/3

the difference of 11 fps is indeed BIG, but it is NOT 40% difference. At stock, the 760 might be close to 20-30% behind a 770. Its about a $100 difference for the extra 10 fps that can be achieved with a simple overclock.

Like i said the difference is noticable; but it isnt HUGE.

A. Misunderstanding cleared up. biggrin.gif

B. Again I was clearing up the fact to make sure we are dealing with an apple to apple comparison here in totality.

C. I agree, and on some games the 770 is 40% faster than the 760......I did give a range.....20-40%........and I did state it makes a bigger difference on games with low frame count......that's where it obviously matters. At at low frame rates a 40% difference can be big. Even a 30% difference for that matter.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

This reminds me of the 670 vs 680 dilemma, alot of people were saying you're spending like 100 more for a 10fps difference, which justifies the purchasing of a 670 basically, and its kind of the same case again with the 760 vs 770 this time round.

It all depends. 10fps can make a big difference on games that are difficult for the gpu to render with speed. Gaming at 25-30fps vs 40fps or more can be significant. Not just now but down the road as the games naturally become more demanding of the gpu. Gotta think both short and long term. IMO the price to performance scale between the cards is pretty linear short term, but long term it favors the GTX 770, especially when you take into account doubling the vram. IMO its worth waiting and saving up a bit longer for.
Edited by ZippyPinhead - 12/18/13 at 1:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Planning on buying a new card, is 2GB Vram fine for 1080p and the future?