Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Ionic Wind Cooling Next Step in CPU/GPU Cooling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ionic Wind Cooling Next Step in CPU/GPU Cooling - Page 4

post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
How about laser cooling? That's how they cool things to near absolute zero (never gotten there yet) basically they shoot the atoms with lasers to slow them down to the point where they are just barely moving, bringing them closer to the -273c (0 kelvins) mark which is absolute zero, or in other words the point where there is no more heat energy (or movement of atoms at all) left.
Isn't that the temperature in deep space?
post #32 of 62
wow pauldovi you are alot smarter than my chem teacher ahaha i never though of it that way how you would have to have something colder than absolute zero to get something to absolute zero. i guess it would have to be something from another dimension!
post #33 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel84 View Post
if the black holes in the space r really connecting 2 far away points in the space and can be used in space travel ( they already use them in movies ) then if we could reach absolute zero we would be able to build our own man made space roads
The existence of black holes isn't even proven, how could they possibly understand the characteristics of a black hole?
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
The existence of black holes isn't even proven, how could they possibly understand the characteristics of a black hole?
what do you mean the existence isn't proven? can't we see them on telescopes or with satellites?
post #35 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd View Post
what do you mean the existence isn't proven? can't we see them on telescopes or with satellites?
A black hole is a physical model. Although there is a LOT of strong evidence supporting the existence of black holes, they have not been proven.

The exact size of the "black hole" is unknown, however, it is estimated that a black hole is simply a geometric point in the universe of extremely dense mass / energy. That is called the singularity, and the slope of the space-time continuum is infinite (infinite gravitational force). The "black" part that you "see" is called the event horizon. The event horizon is where the acceleration due to gravity exceeds the speed of light. This is the point of "no return".

No radiation should be emitted from a black hole, but there is. It has been a while since I have read up on this, and the field is always changing, however, radiation must be omitted from the black hole in order for it to comply with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and well as conservation of mass / energy.

People seem to think that a black hole is a vacuum. It is in fact, not. If they sun were to shrink to 1/500,000th of its current volume, while maintaining its mass, it would become a black hole. However, the Earth would continue to rotate the Sun as it does now. The Earth would not be "sucked" into the black hole. Why? Because acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects, and inversely proportional to the distance between them. That means if the mass of the Earth and Sun stayed the same, as does the distance between them, the acceleration due to gravity is the same.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 62
You get the Talking Head award Paul! I love these kinds of threads...
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
A black hole is a physical model. Although there is a LOT of strong evidence supporting the existence of black holes, they have not been proven.

The exact size of the "black hole" is unknown, however, it is estimated that a black hole is simply a geometric point in the universe of extremely dense mass / energy. That is called the singularity, and the slope of the space-time continuum is infinite (infinite gravitational force). The "black" part that you "see" is called the event horizon. The event horizon is where the acceleration due to gravity exceeds the speed of light. This is the point of "no return".

No radiation should be emitted from a black hole, but there is. It has been a while since I have read up on this, and the field is always changing, however, radiation must be omitted from the black hole in order for it to comply with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and well as conservation of mass / energy.

People seem to think that a black hole is a vacuum. It is in fact, not. If they sun were to shrink to 1/500,000th of its current volume, while maintaining its mass, it would become a black hole. However, the Earth would continue to rotate the Sun as it does now. The Earth would not be "sucked" into the black hole. Why? Because acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects, and inversely proportional to the distance between them. That means if the mass of the Earth and Sun stayed the same, as does the distance between them, the acceleration due to gravity is the same.
What that boils down to, is that if the sun were a black hole with all its current mass, we would still orbit because the inertia keeps us moving straight while the gravity keeps us being pulled toward it? That would result in an orbit right ?

I like science
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 64 3700+ CCBWE (Stock) ABIT KN8-Ultra XFX 8600GT 256MB 2GB G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 CD-ROM Generic Windows 7 Professional ASUS 22" LED 
PowerCase
HIPRO 500W Raidmax ARES 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 64 3700+ CCBWE (Stock) ABIT KN8-Ultra XFX 8600GT 256MB 2GB G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 CD-ROM Generic Windows 7 Professional ASUS 22" LED 
PowerCase
HIPRO 500W Raidmax ARES 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
No radiation should be emitted from a black hole, but there is. It has been a while since I have read up on this, and the field is always changing, however, radiation must be omitted from the black hole in order for it to comply with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and well as conservation of mass / energy.
Which is why Hawkings had to revise his theory that data can escape a black hole. Which still is a fudge factor, and one not unnoticed by critics.

Nice discussion. L-o-v-e astrophysics.
My Big Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.4Ghz AsRock P67 Extreme6 Sapphire HD 6970 Ripjaws X DDR 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1002FAEX 1TB - RAID 0 Lite-ON iHBS212 Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 2494 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Zboard SeaSonic x750 Modular HAF X Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
My Big Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.4Ghz AsRock P67 Extreme6 Sapphire HD 6970 Ripjaws X DDR 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1002FAEX 1TB - RAID 0 Lite-ON iHBS212 Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 2494 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Zboard SeaSonic x750 Modular HAF X Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
Which is why Hawkings had to revise his theory that data can escape a black hole. Which still is a fudge factor, and one not unnoticed by critics.

Nice discussion. L-o-v-e astrophysics.
Astrophysics.... COLLEGE... that is like this
O <-- Astrophysics
*about 400 steps down*
O <-- Tyr and his ICP
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 64 3700+ CCBWE (Stock) ABIT KN8-Ultra XFX 8600GT 256MB 2GB G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 CD-ROM Generic Windows 7 Professional ASUS 22" LED 
PowerCase
HIPRO 500W Raidmax ARES 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 64 3700+ CCBWE (Stock) ABIT KN8-Ultra XFX 8600GT 256MB 2GB G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 CD-ROM Generic Windows 7 Professional ASUS 22" LED 
PowerCase
HIPRO 500W Raidmax ARES 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr13 View Post
What that boils down to, is that if the sun were a black hole with all its current mass, we would still orbit because the inertia keeps us moving straight while the gravity keeps us being pulled toward it? That would result in an orbit right ?

I like science
The earth would continue to orbit because density plays no role in gravitational force. You are right the inertia keeps earth going around.

@StarryNite

One proven source of black hole emission is when there positron - electron annihilation on the boarder of the event horizon. Because of the magnetic field of the black hole, the electron spins into the black hole while the positron spins the other direct (out of the black hole). The black hole MUST release some form of radiation of the law of conservation of mass / energy will be violated. So it isn't so "fudge".
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Ionic Wind Cooling Next Step in CPU/GPU Cooling