Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › First timer building a custom loop NEED HELP!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First timer building a custom loop NEED HELP!! - Page 9

post #81 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

Actually, it's supposed to be 120mm rad space per block, with an extra 120mm added at the end for headroom. So, CPU only would be 240, CPU+GPU=360, CPU+2xGPUs=480 and so on. OC of system doesn't factor into the equation.
But more is ALWAYS better!!!

My primary system is running a 4930k@4.7ghz, 3-780Ti's, a full motherboard block, and 2xram block, so I should have 7-120mm plus 1 for total of 8x120, but I didn't do that, I went with 17x120mm because that's what my case allowed me to use (Case Labs STH10).

There really is no such thing as overkill in liquid cooling.

OC factor dosnt count? :S OCing will increase the heat generated by a major factor!
and the fact that I have the same setup as him, with only 1 GPU that's not running as hot as 290's..
He will have a hard time running that system.

I added external 1080 to take care of it smile.gif but I also know ppl who have put 2x360 and planing to add another 2x260 (or bigger) INSIDE the HAF XB tongue.gif
Crazy stuff.
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

OC factor dosnt count? :S OCing will increase the heat generated by a major factor!
and the fact that I have the same setup as him, with only 1 GPU that's not running as hot as 290's..
He will have a hard time running that system.

I added external 1080 to take care of it smile.gif but I also know ppl who have put 2x360 and planing to add another 2x260 (or bigger) INSIDE the HAF XB tongue.gif
Crazy stuff.
OC factor was already put into that equation, the extra 120 is to help with that also. I'm not saying it's wrong to factor OC, but unless he is doing folding, where he will be running everything @100% for hours, it's not really relevant to real world usage. And like I said before, OVERKILL is what liquid cooling is all about in the first place. Since most good processors nowadays are NOT thermally limited, it's kind of a moot issue, but again, that's just my opinion.
post #83 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

OC factor was already put into that equation, the extra 120 is to help with that also. I'm not saying it's wrong to factor OC, but unless he is doing folding, where he will be running everything @100% for hours, it's not really relevant to real world usage. And like I said before, OVERKILL is what liquid cooling is all about in the first place. Since most good processors nowadays are NOT thermally limited, it's kind of a moot issue, but again, that's just my opinion.
cheers.gif
true.. it is just so darn hard to make any kind of overkill in this case without any major modifications frown.gif
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 199
there is no rule of thumb anymore when including gpu's because of high heat gpu's.
and you wouldnt need 8x 120 rads for that loop jim. where did you come up with the number?
and mayhems coolant is not a little more expensive than plain ditilled plus biocide. it is A LOT more expensive.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 199
@Toan, I agree that 240 + 120 is really pushing it for CF 290s. If you can fit more/bigger radiators it would help, along with higher RPM fans (you would have to sacrifice silence but if you want good temps with only that much rad it is necessary).
post #86 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

there is no rule of thumb anymore when including gpu's because of high heat gpu's.
and you wouldnt need 8x 120 rads for that loop jim. where did you come up with the number?
and mayhems coolant is not a little more expensive than plain ditilled plus biocide. it is A LOT more expensive.

I was making a reference to the "equation" that was being referred to in previous post, which recommends that you have 120mm rad space for EACH BLOCK in your loop plus 120mm extra for overhead, so, since my loop has 7 blocks total, that's 7x120 plus an additional 120 for 8. I honestly just loaded my system with as many radiators as I could though, it's what I wanted to do.

But I'm also not running and blowtorches like the 290/290x's, I'm running 780Ti's.

And honestly, after having spent $1500+$ on cooling gear, i don't feel that an extra 20-40$ is that expensive. Heck, there's over $500 just in radiators in my system. So, I prefer to use a coolant that in my experience doesn't require any maintenance in my systems. I've spent so much on cooling stuff, why cheap out now?
post #87 of 199
ram and motherboard blocks dont add into the equation. an x79 board adds some heat to the loop but not enough to warrant a block. the 780ti gets HOT also. youre talking 350watt on a decent overclock.
its also a very good idea to add as much rad space as you can fit in your case and then add more. you added as much as you could fit.
and you said it there, YOU dont FEEL its expensive. $1 for a gallon of distilled + $7 at the most for biocide that will last for years compared to $20-$40. that difference in cost is very significant. this is opinion though: it isnt that expensive. this is fact: compared to the amount i spent on my loop, it isnt that expensive. also fact: it is a lot more expensive than distilled plus biocide.

im not ragging with or arguing with you. just pointing some things out.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpPrism View Post

@Toan, I agree that 240 + 120 is really pushing it for CF 290s. If you can fit more/bigger radiators it would help, along with higher RPM fans (you would have to sacrifice silence but if you want good temps with only that much rad it is necessary).

Well for now its just gonna be that 5970 so the 240 + 120 should be ok, since my CPU is OC and my GPU currently isn't.
War Machine
(12 items)
 
Arctic Horizon
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Formula EVGA 980Ti EVGA 980Ti 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 Samsung 850 Pro EK Supremacy EVO EK-Coolstream PE 360 
CoolingOSMonitorCase
EK-Coolstream CE 280 Windows 10 LG 34uc87c Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte SOC  EVGA 980Ti SC w/ EK-FC Titan X - Acetal+Nickel EVGA 980Ti SC w/ EK-FC Titan X - Acetal+Nickel 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16gb Corsair Vengeance Western Digital Western Digital Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M550 LG DVD/CD-RW Heatkiller IV Pro Alphacool UT60 480mm 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool XT45 480mm Corsair SP120 Windows 10 LG 34UC87C 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Phanteks Enthroo Primo 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(12 items)
 
Arctic Horizon
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Formula EVGA 980Ti EVGA 980Ti 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 Samsung 850 Pro EK Supremacy EVO EK-Coolstream PE 360 
CoolingOSMonitorCase
EK-Coolstream CE 280 Windows 10 LG 34uc87c Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte SOC  EVGA 980Ti SC w/ EK-FC Titan X - Acetal+Nickel EVGA 980Ti SC w/ EK-FC Titan X - Acetal+Nickel 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16gb Corsair Vengeance Western Digital Western Digital Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M550 LG DVD/CD-RW Heatkiller IV Pro Alphacool UT60 480mm 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool XT45 480mm Corsair SP120 Windows 10 LG 34UC87C 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Phanteks Enthroo Primo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

ram and motherboard blocks dont add into the equation. an x79 board adds some heat to the loop but not enough to warrant a block. the 780ti gets HOT also. youre talking 350watt on a decent overclock.
its also a very good idea to add as much rad space as you can fit in your case and then add more. you added as much as you could fit.
and you said it there, YOU dont FEEL its expensive. $1 for a gallon of distilled + $7 at the most for biocide that will last for years compared to $20-$40. that difference in cost is very significant. this is opinion though: it isnt that expensive. this is fact: compared to the amount i spent on my loop, it isnt that expensive. also fact: it is a lot more expensive than distilled plus biocide.

im not ragging with or arguing with you. just pointing some things out.
And then comes distilled + silver coil tongue.gif $1 for distilled once a yea~ and reuse the coil.
Also has no maintenance besides the recommended change of coolant (1$/year)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan View Post

Well for now its just gonna be that 5970 so the 240 + 120 should be ok, since my CPU is OC and my GPU currently isn't.

Yes.. this looks a lot like my old setup, it is definitely doable with only 3x120.
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

And then comes distilled + silver coil tongue.gif $1 for distilled once a yea~ and reuse the coil.
Also has no maintenance besides the recommended change of coolant (1$/year)
Yes.. this looks a lot like my old setup, it is definitely doable with only 3x120.

Well we were talking about 2x 290. Not doable. tongue.gif But just the 5970 should be alright.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › First timer building a custom loop NEED HELP!!