Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread - Page 228  

post #2271 of 8206
Does anyone have any idea of when this monitor might be released in Australia, or anywhere for that matter? (i remember hearing April a while ago, just wondering if that still stands) Perhaps someone from ASUS can comment?.

i desperately want it, just not sure how long I can hold out!! may end up just getting the ASUS PB278q or BENQ XL2720z, but of course, I want WQHD and 120hz!!! Dont want to have to pick one. biggrin.gif

(apologies if this has been answered on this thread recently already)
post #2272 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFaceKeller View Post

Does anyone have any idea of when this monitor might be released in Australia, or anywhere for that matter? (i remember hearing April a while ago, just wondering if that still stands) Perhaps someone from ASUS can comment?.

i desperately want it, just not sure how long I can hold out!! may end up just getting the ASUS PB278q or BENQ XL2720z, but of course, I want WQHD and 120hz!!! Dont want to have to pick one. biggrin.gif

(apologies if this has been answered on this thread recently already)

You missed some of the posts last week were JJ told us that the targeted release is in June. There is no hardcore date yet. 

 
Main computer.
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K  AsRock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA Geforce GTX 750 ti FTW G.Skill TridentX 2133 MHz 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 64MB 4TB Corsair H100i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
G.Skill turbulence fan 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Windows 8.1 Corsair RM850 — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certifie... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Logitech G9x Razer  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2,5GHz  Gigabyte G41M ES2L Motherboard Nvidia GeForce GT 520 8 GB 1333MHz RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDT721025SLA380 ATA Device Seagate FA GoFlex Desk USB  Peltier element and Cooler Master Sphere Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardCaseMouse
Benq G2220HDA HP KU-0316 Fractal Design Core 1000 Logitech G9x Call of Duty MW3 edition 
Mouse Pad
Razer Scarab 
Other
Toshiba T5200/100 386 laptop 
  hide details  
 
Main computer.
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K  AsRock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA Geforce GTX 750 ti FTW G.Skill TridentX 2133 MHz 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 64MB 4TB Corsair H100i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
G.Skill turbulence fan 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Windows 8.1 Corsair RM850 — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certifie... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Logitech G9x Razer  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2,5GHz  Gigabyte G41M ES2L Motherboard Nvidia GeForce GT 520 8 GB 1333MHz RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDT721025SLA380 ATA Device Seagate FA GoFlex Desk USB  Peltier element and Cooler Master Sphere Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardCaseMouse
Benq G2220HDA HP KU-0316 Fractal Design Core 1000 Logitech G9x Call of Duty MW3 edition 
Mouse Pad
Razer Scarab 
Other
Toshiba T5200/100 386 laptop 
  hide details  
post #2273 of 8206
this thread has more words than the bible - been hanging around since doomsday biggrin.gif
post #2274 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFaceKeller View Post

Does anyone have any idea of when this monitor might be released in Australia, or anywhere for that matter? (i remember hearing April a while ago, just wondering if that still stands) Perhaps someone from ASUS can comment?.

i desperately want it, just not sure how long I can hold out!! may end up just getting the ASUS PB278q or BENQ XL2720z, but of course, I want WQHD and 120hz!!! Dont want to have to pick one. biggrin.gif

(apologies if this has been answered on this thread recently already)

Although it includes info for the 780 Ti Matrix as well, JJ stated yesterday

"They actually might be released around the same time. Currently we are targeting a early to mid Q2 time frame for SWIFT and MATRIX is targeted for mid to late May. As such they may be available around the same time. Stay tuned for more information."
ROG GT-R
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4770K Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula EVGA GTX 980 EVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600Mhz 16GB OCZ Vertex 3  Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro X64 Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cougar CMX1000 Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower ASUS ROG GX1000 Eagle Eye Archelon Redragon 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster ZXR Corsair SP2500 Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohms Logitech G930 
  hide details  
ROG GT-R
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4770K Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula EVGA GTX 980 EVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600Mhz 16GB OCZ Vertex 3  Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro X64 Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cougar CMX1000 Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower ASUS ROG GX1000 Eagle Eye Archelon Redragon 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster ZXR Corsair SP2500 Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohms Logitech G930 
  hide details  
post #2275 of 8206

Good to know. 

 
Main computer.
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K  AsRock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA Geforce GTX 750 ti FTW G.Skill TridentX 2133 MHz 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 64MB 4TB Corsair H100i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
G.Skill turbulence fan 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Windows 8.1 Corsair RM850 — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certifie... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Logitech G9x Razer  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2,5GHz  Gigabyte G41M ES2L Motherboard Nvidia GeForce GT 520 8 GB 1333MHz RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDT721025SLA380 ATA Device Seagate FA GoFlex Desk USB  Peltier element and Cooler Master Sphere Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardCaseMouse
Benq G2220HDA HP KU-0316 Fractal Design Core 1000 Logitech G9x Call of Duty MW3 edition 
Mouse Pad
Razer Scarab 
Other
Toshiba T5200/100 386 laptop 
  hide details  
 
Main computer.
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K  AsRock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA Geforce GTX 750 ti FTW G.Skill TridentX 2133 MHz 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 64MB 4TB Corsair H100i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
G.Skill turbulence fan 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Windows 8.1 Corsair RM850 — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certifie... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Logitech G9x Razer  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2,5GHz  Gigabyte G41M ES2L Motherboard Nvidia GeForce GT 520 8 GB 1333MHz RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDT721025SLA380 ATA Device Seagate FA GoFlex Desk USB  Peltier element and Cooler Master Sphere Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardCaseMouse
Benq G2220HDA HP KU-0316 Fractal Design Core 1000 Logitech G9x Call of Duty MW3 edition 
Mouse Pad
Razer Scarab 
Other
Toshiba T5200/100 386 laptop 
  hide details  
post #2276 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledonny View Post

This statement is not really encouraging. It's technically true, but it could indicate that panel performance hasn't met internal expectations. I hope not, but at this point I still plan to buy it as long as 1) it's really better than any VG series panel, and 2) it releases ASAP.

I couldn't wait on this for 3 months, so I purchased a QNIX 27" 1440p PLS to hold me over. 27"/1440p is a very nice experience. The contrast and color accuracy are markedly better than my VG248QE/former VG236H. The input lag is very good. The motion clarity is not good, even at 96Hz. The 96Hz overclock definitely helps, but the motion blur is definitely higher than on either VGxxxx monitor I've had.

I hope this monitor is close enough to the QNIX that I can sell the QNIX without much hesitation.

He says the truth though.

I guess internal expectations are the same monitor with an IPS display or an IPS with 1ms, low input lag and prolly more like a gloss finish.
dreams >:

If it's a better colored monitor with fast response rates compared to the TN panels we have.. it's a success already & should trash down any other 27' TN panel.

While still.
24' version needed.
Edited by Amperial - 3/26/14 at 10:00am
post #2277 of 8206
There are physics reasons why we can't get the best of all worlds. The material properties of the things involved in the tech are often contradictory - by improving one aspect, you degrade another. For something like response time, there are a number of factors that go into it. Viscosity of the material, susceptibility to electric fields (how much it moves for a given voltage), how quickly the crystals relax after the electric field is turned off, all of these are intrinsic material properties based on the specific chemical structure of the liquid crystals used. Things like substituting hydrogen for fluorine in one part of one component of the overall mixture can have a significant effect, but almost never in the "does good things for all properties." To take one specific example, you can use crystals that have a higher susceptibility (move faster when the same voltage is applied), but that usually means higher viscosity as well (more force required for the same movement).

The different panel types are an effort to explore the edges of the parameter space, in ways that let us pick which properties we're most interested in and make concessions on the rest. Believe me, if there were a perfect liquid crystal mixture that would get us IPS color at TN speeds, we would already be using it.
post #2278 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

There are physics reasons why we can't get the best of all worlds. The material properties of the things involved in the tech are often contradictory - by improving one aspect, you degrade another. For something like response time, there are a number of factors that go into it. Viscosity of the material, susceptibility to electric fields (how much it moves for a given voltage), how quickly the crystals relax after the electric field is turned off, all of these are intrinsic material properties based on the specific chemical structure of the liquid crystals used. Things like substituting hydrogen for fluorine in one part of one component of the overall mixture can have a significant effect, but almost never in the "does good things for all properties." To take one specific example, you can use crystals that have a higher susceptibility (move faster when the same voltage is applied), but that usually means higher viscosity as well (more force required for the same movement).

The different panel types are an effort to explore the edges of the parameter space, in ways that let us pick which properties we're most interested in and make concessions on the rest. Believe me, if there were a perfect liquid crystal mixture that would get us IPS color at TN speeds, we would already be using it.
There should be a script that display your post each time someone is questioning the choice of using a TN panel for a gaming monitor.

+rep
post #2279 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

There should be a script that display your post each time someone is questioning the choice of using a TN panel for a gaming monitor.

+rep

This

JJ is likely being just very honest about it, if your priority, over EVERYTHING ELSE is full coverage of the sRGB color space/Adobe RGB color space, then you're going to need an IPS panel, I dont think ANY TN panel can do this, if you need to be able to look at the monitor from almost side on and have it look spot on perfect then again, IPS will deliver this. But you wont get smoothness, you wont get the responsiveness. Thats the tradeoff for IPS tech.

The thing I repeatedly point out on the IQ side of things is that most LCD TVs are TN panels, Even $3000 beauties like Samsung's F8000 LCDs.. and let me tell you, Those TVs are -expletive- gorgeous with exceptional, Plasma-like black levels and excellent pixel response times.... The picture is certainly not what id call "sub par" or "worse" than my IPS display, and neither is the viewing angles on such a screen (I have an F8000-series set in my house.. that things viewing angles are fantastic, you have to go VERY off center for things to look weird) My Sharp LE650U isnt half shabby either (not as good as the F8000)... Heck my laptop's TN panel produces excellent colors and fairly solid black levels (Not perfect but pretty solid)

People seem to be going in extremes here, Lets be honest, For most of us, so long as the entire 27" surface looks good when viewed from our standard seating position, and reasonable movements from left to right dont mess it up, then the panel is plenty good enough, Generally we're not using these for presentations and such, we're using them to immerse ourselves, One person, in the ultimate gaming experience possible...


My reasonable expectation on this monitor is simple, When i plonk it down on my desk im expecting it to have a heck of a good contrast ratio, Im expecting solid black levels, and im expecting the edge to edge appearance to be good, as in i dont have to sit in one, very specific, spot to have the image look good from corner to corner. I have no reason to believe this isnt what Asus will deliver because given my experience with the technology, this is feasible.

I am not expecting to do professional photo editing on it where i need sRGB/Adobe RGB coverage, I have a Dell Ultrasharp for that.
Kagutsuchi Mk 2
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4.635ghz Asus Maximus VIII Formula Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11gb, 2ghz Core 11ghz Memory G Skill Trident Z 32gb DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Samsung 840 EVO 500gb 600gb Western Digital Velociraptor  5tb Western Digital Black 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4tb Western Digital Red 6tb Western Digital USB 3.0 External Corsair H110i Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus RoG PG279Q Logitech G910 Orion Spark Corsair HX1000i NZXT H440 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Sennheiser Game One Phillips Fidelio X2 Klipsch RB20 Soundbar 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7-3740QM GTX 680M 2gb 16gb DDR3-1600 2x 256gb SSD  
OS
Win 7 Professional 
  hide details  
Kagutsuchi Mk 2
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4.635ghz Asus Maximus VIII Formula Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11gb, 2ghz Core 11ghz Memory G Skill Trident Z 32gb DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Samsung 840 EVO 500gb 600gb Western Digital Velociraptor  5tb Western Digital Black 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4tb Western Digital Red 6tb Western Digital USB 3.0 External Corsair H110i Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus RoG PG279Q Logitech G910 Orion Spark Corsair HX1000i NZXT H440 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Sennheiser Game One Phillips Fidelio X2 Klipsch RB20 Soundbar 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7-3740QM GTX 680M 2gb 16gb DDR3-1600 2x 256gb SSD  
OS
Win 7 Professional 
  hide details  
post #2280 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiS View Post



The thing I repeatedly point out on the IQ side of things is that most LCD TVs are TN panels, Even $3000 beauties like Samsung's F8000 LCDs.. and let me tell you, Those TVs are -expletive- gorgeous with exceptional, Plasma-like black levels and excellent pixel response times.... The picture is certainly not what id call "sub par" or "worse" than my IPS display, and neither is the viewing angles on such a screen (I have an F8000-series set in my house.. that things viewing angles are fantastic, you have to go VERY off center for things to look weird) My Sharp LE650U isnt half shabby either (not as good as the F8000)... Heck my laptop's TN panel produces excellent colors and fairly solid black levels (Not perfect but pretty solid)

Exactly what I always think to myself when this comes up.

My UN55B8500 looks stunning and I believe it too is a TN. though a lot of that has to do with the matrix back lit local dimming.
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus z87 Sabertooth EVGA 780 Classified Hydro Copper 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengance Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 250GB SSD Sandisk 250gb SSD Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Dual 120mm R... XSPC D5 PWM Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK D5 X-Top Acetal Pump Top CSQ XSPC Photon 170 Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Tripple 140m... Koolance 380i Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC D5 PWM Pump Aquaero 5 LT Windows 7 Professional Dell 2709wfp 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell 2709wfp Corsair AX 860i Corsair 750D 
  hide details  
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus z87 Sabertooth EVGA 780 Classified Hydro Copper 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengance Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 250GB SSD Sandisk 250gb SSD Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Dual 120mm R... XSPC D5 PWM Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK D5 X-Top Acetal Pump Top CSQ XSPC Photon 170 Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Tripple 140m... Koolance 380i Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC D5 PWM Pump Aquaero 5 LT Windows 7 Professional Dell 2709wfp 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell 2709wfp Corsair AX 860i Corsair 750D 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread