Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread - Page 267  

post #2661 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

You guys must be nuts going after an expensive TN screen. Go for high contrast ratio and deep black levels. They mean more than resolution as it makes the image pop, greatly increasing the immersion factor of any game. Get either Eizo Foris FG2421 monitor or a plasma TV with a very high contrast ratio. IPS and TN monitors are simple out of the question... If you care so much for resolution then go 3x SLI and get a 4K TV, but NOT a 4K monitor because they suck so bad!

One word. 120Hz (or 144 wink.gif)
Main PC
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5960X @ 4.6Ghz Asus Sabertooth X99 NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti FE SLI @ 1949/5900 Corsair Dominator Torque 32GB 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB Samsung SH-224DB Corsair H110i GT w/Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000  Windows 10 Pro 64Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
AOC AG322QCX (32" VA, 1440p, 144Hz) Samsung S24D390H (24" PLS, 1080p, 60Hz) SteelSeries Apex RAW Seasonic SS-1250XM 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom 820 White Logitech G9x Mionix Sargas 900 Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 
AudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Logitech Z623 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A78M-E45 V2 Radeon R7, 512 Cores Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB 1866MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB 6 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB  5 x HGST Deskstar NAS 6TB 1 X HGST Deskstar NAS 10TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit Silverstone SST-ST45SF-G 450W Silverstone SST GD05B  
OtherOtherOther
3 x ICY BOX IB-RD3640SU3 w/Noctua NF-A8 FLX TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Silverstone SST-EC04-E 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4710MQ NVIDIA GTX 960M  Crucial 16GB 1600Mhz  Samsung 850 EVO SSD mSATA 250GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB  Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit 13.3" 1080p  
  hide details  
Main PC
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5960X @ 4.6Ghz Asus Sabertooth X99 NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti FE SLI @ 1949/5900 Corsair Dominator Torque 32GB 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB Samsung SH-224DB Corsair H110i GT w/Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000  Windows 10 Pro 64Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
AOC AG322QCX (32" VA, 1440p, 144Hz) Samsung S24D390H (24" PLS, 1080p, 60Hz) SteelSeries Apex RAW Seasonic SS-1250XM 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom 820 White Logitech G9x Mionix Sargas 900 Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 
AudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Logitech Z623 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A78M-E45 V2 Radeon R7, 512 Cores Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB 1866MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB 6 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB  5 x HGST Deskstar NAS 6TB 1 X HGST Deskstar NAS 10TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit Silverstone SST-ST45SF-G 450W Silverstone SST GD05B  
OtherOtherOther
3 x ICY BOX IB-RD3640SU3 w/Noctua NF-A8 FLX TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Silverstone SST-EC04-E 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4710MQ NVIDIA GTX 960M  Crucial 16GB 1600Mhz  Samsung 850 EVO SSD mSATA 250GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB  Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit 13.3" 1080p  
  hide details  
post #2662 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoredShadow View Post

The Eizo is a pretty terrible monitor. I have signed up to most threads about it. Other people had similar problems. I had 3 of these monitors sent to me. All went back. . Certain games did not give a great black level as the monitor could not 'configure' it's self to certain black levels. Also the monitor had artifacting in some scenes. Lastly the monitor had a different shade on the right hand side of the monitor.

I could no way keep that monitor. So black level was null and void.

WUUUT? It doesn't calibrate itself at all. Black level is black level. I know that with some drivers, refresh rates would go from 120Hz to 60Hz, and in 60Hz mode where blacks were washed out, likely due to incorrect range. This no longer happens and it had nothing to do with the monitor itself, but drivers. Artifacting monitor? FOR REAL? Wow... How was it artifacting???

Anyway, considering that any professional calibrator and display reviewed would put contrast ratio as one of the most important if not THE most import factor of display fidelity, I don't know what to say. Some TVs, like Sony's have very low input lag and MotionFlow, which is Light-Strobing, not fake frame interpolation. Those monitors are excellent for gaming. So consoles are cool to use with TVs, and even Steam moving on to TVs is also cool, but simple PC gaming isn't? TVs are of MUCH higher quality than monitors today.

BTW, Gsync is not as amazing as you make it out to be. Sure, the smoothness factor seems constant, but the BLUR factor changes with your framerate. When your FPS plummer from 144 to 35, you will not see stutters, but you will see way more blur and trailing. The only way out to so maintain 144fps, for which you would need a hell of a graphics system 4x SLI GTX 780 Ti or something like that.

I can't imagine "Gaming" on a shallow TN monitor that cannot produce dark grays, or even neutral grays, especially without calibration.
post #2663 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simkin View Post

One word. 120Hz (or 144 wink.gif)

Eizo Foris does 120Hz regular or Turbo 240Hz, which is just like LightBoost...
post #2664 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Eizo Foris does 120Hz regular or Turbo 240Hz, which is just like LightBoost...

It's also 1080p and 24". If it were 1440p and 27", this thread would be a lot shorter.
Overkill
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.625Ghz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX 1080 Ti 32GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Black 4TB 7200RPM 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Corsair H80i GT Windows 10 Professional Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100hz IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Corsair RM1000i SilverStone RV02 Razer DeathAdder 3G 
AudioAudioAudio
TEAC HA-501 HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Overkill
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.625Ghz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX 1080 Ti 32GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Black 4TB 7200RPM 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Corsair H80i GT Windows 10 Professional Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100hz IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Corsair RM1000i SilverStone RV02 Razer DeathAdder 3G 
AudioAudioAudio
TEAC HA-501 HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
post #2665 of 8206
I keep seeing people talk about whether or not their graphics card can keep up with this monitor, but I see that as kind of a shallow argument. We know graphics cards and systems will keep getting better. In a year's time, new gpus will come out that are even better than today. I don't think worry about low fps at 1440p is going to matter much. I see a monitor like this as an investment that hopefully will last a long time. My plan is 2 or 3 years down the road to upgrade my GPU and have the framerate of my games to all scale upwards.
post #2666 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan25 View Post

I keep seeing people talk about whether or not their graphics card can keep up with this monitor, but I see that as kind of a shallow argument. We know graphics cards and systems will keep getting better. In a year's time, new gpus will come out that are even better than today. I don't think worry about low fps at 1440p is going to matter much. I see a monitor like this as an investment that hopefully will last a long time. My plan is 2 or 3 years down the road to upgrade my GPU and have the framerate of my games to all scale upwards.

One card can't push this monitor to its edge now, but that's a good thing as far as the longevity of this monitor.

If your FPS is around 40, this monitor will still be fantastic. If over the next several years you triple your GPU capability, you'll just then hit the edge of its performance.
post #2667 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

One card can't push this monitor to its edge now, but that's a good thing as far as the longevity of this monitor.

If your FPS is around 40, this monitor will still be fantastic. If over the next several years you triple your GPU capability, you'll just then hit the edge of its performance.
I disagree. 40fps will never be able to feel close to fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Be it at 1440p or at 16K+3D+Odorama.
40fps is mediocre and ruins any chance of immersion or enjoyment.

I also doubt you will be able to run 1440p@120Hz on modern AAA titles in the upcoming years. The games become more and more demanding each year.
Just look at what we have in store for 2015.

The Witcher 3 => "35-45fps on a GTX 780Ti at 1080p"
http://www.overclock.net/t/1481256/ds-the-witcher-3-900p-on-ps4-720p-on-xbox-one-gtx780ti-pushes-35-45fps-at-max-settings
post #2668 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

I disagree. 40fps will never be able to feel close to fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Be it at 1440p or at 16K+3D+Odorama.
40fps is mediocre and ruins any chance of immersion or enjoyment.

I also doubt you will be able to run 1440p@120Hz on modern AAA titles in the upcoming years. The games become more and more demanding each year.
Just look at what we have in store for 2015.

The Witcher 3 => "35-45fps on a GTX 780Ti at 1080p"
http://www.overclock.net/t/1481256/ds-the-witcher-3-900p-on-ps4-720p-on-xbox-one-gtx780ti-pushes-35-45fps-at-max-settings
that Article that talks about Witcher 3 and the FPS is not confirmed and just rumors and it is at 8xMSAA
post #2669 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

I disagree. 40fps will never be able to feel close to fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Be it at 1440p or at 16K+3D+Odorama.
40fps is mediocre and ruins any chance of immersion or enjoyment.

I also doubt you will be able to run 1440p@120Hz on modern AAA titles in the upcoming years. The games become more and more demanding each year.
Just look at what we have in store for 2015.

The Witcher 3 => "35-45fps on a GTX 780Ti at 1080p"
http://www.overclock.net/t/1481256/ds-the-witcher-3-900p-on-ps4-720p-on-xbox-one-gtx780ti-pushes-35-45fps-at-max-settings

I concede you might totally be right but I think judging early play from a game that is still so far out is a mistake, especially considering optimization is usually done as close to release as possible. You also make a good point about games being more demanding as time goes on but IMHO that's where the benefit of g-sync kicks in. During the time shortly after launch where you can't push 1440p@120hz you have g-sync to make gameplay generally much smoother (according to most everyone who's used it) than it has been until now. Then in another gpu cycle or two you're able to smash pretty much any 6 mo-year old game.

(I'm very much looking forward to witcher 3 (and this monitor biggrin.gif))
SLOWPOKE
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980x@4.4ghz (29x152) 1.392 vcore 24/7 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 2x EVGA Titans Corsair Dominator GT 6GB 2000C7 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
3x 256GB Crucial C300 in Raid0 Loop1: mcp350>pa120.4>ek supreme hf loop2: mcp355>2xpa120.3>ek_titan_x2>ek nb/sb Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Enermax EVO 1250 Mountain Mods Asscension 
  hide details  
SLOWPOKE
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980x@4.4ghz (29x152) 1.392 vcore 24/7 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 2x EVGA Titans Corsair Dominator GT 6GB 2000C7 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
3x 256GB Crucial C300 in Raid0 Loop1: mcp350>pa120.4>ek supreme hf loop2: mcp355>2xpa120.3>ek_titan_x2>ek nb/sb Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Enermax EVO 1250 Mountain Mods Asscension 
  hide details  
post #2670 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

You guys must be nuts going after an expensive TN screen. Go for high contrast ratio and deep black levels. They mean more than resolution as it makes the image pop, greatly increasing the immersion factor of any game. Get either Eizo Foris FG2421 monitor or a plasma TV with a very high contrast ratio. IPS and TN monitors are simple out of the question... If you care so much for resolution then go 3x SLI and get a 4K TV, but NOT a 4K monitor because they suck so bad!

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Oh and calibrating displays is NOT overrated at all! Everyone should do it. I can't imagine gaming on a non-calibrated display as calibration improve the depth of the picture and its luminance, white balance, etc. Its VITAL.

Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread