Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread - Page 270  

post #2691 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Nope! JJ from Asus announced just a few days ago that it will be 3D at 1440P!

The link to the info is a few pages back, and it was great news to read for a lot of people!

I def missed that, this thread moves too fast!
post #2692 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

I mean for any games where there is movement. There is a huge difference between 120fps and 60fps.
It doesn't matter as long as there is motion.
- If you track moving objects
- if you pan the camera
- if the background is moving
- if you scroll
...
That covers the vast majority of games of all genres that are available. And it goes beyond games. The benefits of high refresh rates is obvious even in desktop use. Mouse pointer, dragging windows, smooth scrolling in a compatible web browser, ....

I hear a lot this argument about 120fps being only really useful in first person shooters. And I don't consider it pertinent at all.
There are games that benefits more from smoothness than others, obviously. But in no way is it limited to first person online competitive games. That's BS.

It might be because I have an IPS and the motion blur is pretty bad, but I do run it at 120 Hz. In FPS I notice the difference between 120 FPS and say 80, it is plain as day; and even in League of Legends with the character animations.

I didn't seem to notice a huge difference between higher frame rates and the lower, around 60, in games like Batman AA and AC, or Resident Evil. There was some difference, but it wasn't night and day or enough to keep me from enjoying the experience.

Although how much of what I am (or am not) seeing is caused by the inherent motion blur of this panel type? I won't know until this ROG Swift is firmly in place on my desk, which is taking entirely too damn long!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
post #2693 of 8206
Delayed till June =(

https://www.facebook.com/rognordic
Quote:
An update on the availability of ROG Swift PG278Q. The most recent estimate is June. As for pre-orders you can be sure that we will prompt you as soon as they go live.

ROG Swift PG278Q features super narrow 6 mm bezels, G-Sync ultra-low input lag, 120+ Hz refresh rate and 1 ms response time. Simply the most advanced gaming monitor to date.

Edited by i4mt3hwin - 4/23/14 at 11:04am
post #2694 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It might be because I have an IPS and the motion blur is pretty bad, but I do run it at 120 Hz. In FPS I notice the difference between 120 FPS and say 80, it is plain as day; and even in League of Legends with the character animations.

I didn't seem to notice a huge difference between higher frame rates and the lower, around 60, in games like Batman AA and AC, or Resident Evil. There was some difference, but it wasn't night and day or enough to keep me from enjoying the experience.

Although how much of what I am (or am not) seeing is caused by the inherent motion blur of this panel type? I won't know until this ROG Swift is firmly in place on my desk, which is taking entirely too damn long!

You are a bit bottlenecked by the IPS in terms of motion clarity. And motion blurring actually helps with smoothing things out.
So yes, that does have an impact.

But I think, it is more about difference in perceptions. Every individual see things differently.
Some are more sensible to low frame rates than others.
Same thing with the sensibility to motion blur, flickering, PWM artifacts and so on.

For example my critical flicker fusion threshold is high. I need at least 100Hz on my CRT before I stop consciously seeing the flickering. Some people only need 75Hz.
post #2695 of 8206
definitely putting money aside for this monitor!
thumb.gif
Code55
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k 4.8 Asus Impact VIII / EK M8i Monoblock SeaHawk EK X 1080 Ti G.Skill Ripjaw V 2 x 16GB 3733CL15 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
INTEL 750 400GB U.2 SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB EK D5 PWM Acer X34A 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Logitech G810 EVGA 750 G2 In-Win D-Frame Mini Meridian Explorer 
  hide details  
Code55
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k 4.8 Asus Impact VIII / EK M8i Monoblock SeaHawk EK X 1080 Ti G.Skill Ripjaw V 2 x 16GB 3733CL15 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
INTEL 750 400GB U.2 SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB EK D5 PWM Acer X34A 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Logitech G810 EVGA 750 G2 In-Win D-Frame Mini Meridian Explorer 
  hide details  
post #2696 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

You are a bit bottlenecked by the IPS in terms of motion clarity. And motion blurring actually helps with smoothing things out.
So yes, that does have an impact.

But I think, it is more about difference in perceptions. Every individual see things differently.
Some are more sensible to low frame rates than others.
Same thing with the sensibility to motion blur, flickering, PWM artifacts and so on.

For example my critical flicker fusion threshold is high. I need at least 100Hz on my CRT before I stop consciously seeing the flickering. Some people only need 75Hz.

I am super sensitive to micro-stutter myself, as well as FOV, both cause motion sickness if not in check. Last time I sat in front of a CRT, so long ago, my threshold for flicker was around 70Hz, below that it was issue, anything above it I was good.

biggrin.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
post #2697 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

It doesn't matter as long as there is motion.

It matters a ton based on the pixel rate of the motion.
post #2698 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I am super sensitive to micro-stutter myself, as well as FOV, both cause motion sickness if not in check. Last time I sat in front of a CRT, so long ago, my threshold for flicker was around 70Hz, below that it was issue, anything above it I was good.

biggrin.gif
If you can get away with 70Hz flicker on a CRT. You might be able to use ULMB at 85Hz. (According to Mark from BlurBuster, 48Hz Lightboost flicker is similar to 60hz CRT flicker)
ULMB is 2ms persistence so it should be similar to Lightboost@50% in terms of flickering.
Certainly something interesting to try out, once you get the monitor. thumb.gif
post #2699 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

It matters a ton based on the pixel rate of the motion.
below 120pixels/second is the limit at which the fluidity would be bottleneck for 120fps.
That means motion so slow that it takes more than 16 seconds to move from one side of the screen to the other in 1080p.
post #2700 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty View Post

below 120pixels/second is the limit at which the fluidity would be bottleneck for 120fps.
That means motion so slow that it takes more than 16 seconds to move from one side of the screen to the other in 1080p.

How did you come up with that number? Do you mean one pixel of motion per frame ensures the minimum motion blur capable at that framerate?

I supposed that's technically correct, but I can't see how it's relevant. There are way more factors that go into perceptibility of motion blur, not the least of which is the temporal resolution of your eye.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [ASUS] RoG Swift PG278Q Discussion Thread