Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Looking to add to watercooling loop - changing things around - looking for suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to add to watercooling loop - changing things around - looking for suggestions

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I put together this computer back in July 2012. Currently, the loop is only cooling the CPU but I am looking into getting a water block for my 690 as I have been wanting to do so ever since building this computer. I realize there is a lot of unnecessary tubing that I am thinking of eliminating. The only problem I can see is that my water pump is so large that I don't know if I can position it below with the PSU. I've heard of folks with the 800D case having to cut a hole in a spot where the fan is (under my reservoir) to be able to keep the pump out of sight.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I could do with the pump and to help eliminate the excess tubing. I've been looking at 90 degree fittings, which would help in at least getting the pump out of the way. I plan on also replacing the zip ties on the reservoir with compression fittings. I might go with 45 degree fittings for the reservoir so that the tubing isn't so cramped underneath.



Here are my specs:

Corsair 800D Case
Intel 3770k CPU
EVGA GTX 690
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 2133 RAM
Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
Intel 520 240 GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB HDD
Corsair HX850 850 Watt Power Supply Unit

Watercooling Loop:

FrozenQ Liquid Fusion V UV Blue Helix Reservoir
XSPC Raystorm Intel CPU Water Block
Swifttech MCP655-B High Flow Pump
XSPC RX360 Extreme Performance Radiator V2 (with 3 x Yate Loon 120mm fans at Medium Speed Rating)
PrimoFlex UV Blue Tubing (1/2" ID x 3/4" OD)
post #2 of 11
The things you listed would be a good idea; some angled adapters would definitely clean the looks up a bit. Get a few 90s and 45s.
Also, adding the GPU to the loop would eliminate the excessively long tubing between the radiator and reservoir, so that might be a benefit.

The MCP655 should probably fit in the lower compartment, but I don't know for sure as I don't own a 800D. Try measuring out your pump and the height of the space separated below. You might be able to get the tubing to connect right where the grommet is on the separator if you don't have enough space (if you understand what I am trying to say).

An idea for your future loop order to tidy up your tubing (a few angled adapters would help as well, of course):
Res > Pump > GPU > Rad > CPU > back to the Res
Edited by WarpPrism - 1/1/14 at 11:35pm
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpPrism View Post

The things you listed would be a good idea; some angled adapters would definitely clean the looks up a bit. Get a few 90s and 45s.
Also, adding the GPU to the loop would eliminate the excessively long tubing between the radiator and reservoir, so that might be a benefit.

The MCP655 should probably fit in the lower compartment, but I don't know for sure as I don't own a 800D. Try measuring out your pump and the height of the space separated below. You might be able to get the tubing to connect right where the grommet is on the separator if you don't have enough space (if you understand what I am trying to say).

Well I've measured the pump and the top part is in the middle of the pump so I'm not sure it will fit well underneath. If the pump had both input and output on top, it would work perfectly. But, as it is, the tubing coming out of the side would be hitting the case wall preventing the case from being closed. I'll be cleaning the loop when I get the waterblock anyway so I would be able to see if it will fit.

For the loop, I'll probably change the order. I'll make it radiator to cpu, cpu to gpu, gpu to reservoir, reservoir to pump, and pump to radiator. Or the loop you suggested.

The pump is about 3 inches by 3 inches in terms of its sides and 4 inches in height. The space next to the PSU measures a little above 4 inches so it will probably work. I can probably make it work with 45 degree fittings by routing the tubing towards the two rubber grommets. I think I have at least 4 feet or more of new tubing left over from when I built this PC so I probably don't need any more of that.

I suppose I won't really know for sure until I actually try to move the pump into the spot and try routing the tubing. tongue.gif
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post

Well I've measured the pump and the top part is in the middle of the pump so I'm not sure it will fit well underneath. If the pump had both input and output on top, it would work perfectly. But, as it is, the tubing coming out of the side would be hitting the case wall preventing the case from being closed. I'll be cleaning the loop when I get the waterblock anyway so I would be able to see if it will fit.

For the loop, I'll probably change the order. I'll make it radiator to cpu, cpu to gpu, gpu to reservoir, reservoir to pump, and pump to radiator. Something similar to that maybe...

The pump is about 3 inches by 3 inches in terms of its sides and 4 inches in height. The space next to the PSU measures a little above 4 inches so it will probably work. I can probably make it work with 45 degree fittings by routing the tubing towards the two rubber grommets. I think I have at least 4 feet or more of new tubing left over from when I built this PC so I probably don't need any more of that.

I suppose I won't really know for sure until I actually try to move the pump into the spot and try routing the tubing. tongue.gif

I also suggested some other ideas for routing in edits to my previous posts, so see above. If you find it too difficult to get the tubing through the grommets and you have the tools to do it, you could always drill your own hole and use a BP pass-through fitting...

Your setup/case I think makes it difficult not to have any long single tubes, which is a bit annoying.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpPrism View Post

I also suggested some other ideas for routing in edits to my previous posts, so see above. If you find it too difficult to get the tubing through the grommets and you have the tools to do it, you could always drill your own hole and use a BP pass-through fitting...

Your setup/case I think makes it difficult not to have any long single tubes, which is a bit annoying.

Yeah, it's too bad the rad can't be set up on the opposite side but it would still have some kind of long tubing somewhere. Thanks for the help smile.gif
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post

Yeah, it's too bad the rad can't be set up on the opposite side but it would still have some kind of long tubing somewhere. Thanks for the help smile.gif

No problem. thumb.gif And I'll compliment you on the system, it is looking very good. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
I finally got the water block and installed everything. Took me a good several days since I had to order additional pieces when I ran into a problem with getting things to work.

One major thing that I now know I will never buy again are rotary fittings. I ordered 3 45 degree fittings and they all leak from the rotary... I had to order a couple of 90 degree fittings in order to finally get this computer put back together...

Anyway, here are the pics smile.gif

*
*
*

I may eventually add another cathode on the bottom side to lighten up the lower tubing. I could also tie up that longer tube to an upper portion of the case to get it out of the way of the reservoir if I wanted to. I'm just glad I got rid of that super long tubing going from the upper left to the bottom right... XD

So far, temps for the gpu are GREAT!! At idle, I am seeing around 26 to 27 Celsius! Colder than my CPU! The stock heatsink that came with my 690 was giving me around 40 or so at idel so this is awesome! I'll eventually try overclocking and see what temps I get there. I remember getting upwards of 80 on a heavy overclock when it was air-cooled so we'll see smile.gif
post #8 of 11
Looking good. thumb.gif

So were you able to get your pump into the bottom compartment?

And what brand 45s were so poorly made, I would like to know...
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have the pump in the drive bay in the upper right corner. There is still space to install another disc drive in the if I wanted to even with the pump there. smile.gif

It was the XSPC rotary fittings. They immediately leaked as soon as I had them installed. I could tell it was leaking from the rotary because you could see droplets forming there. Luckily, I had them on the reservoir or it could have ruined something... tongue.gif
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post

I have the pump in the drive bay in the upper right corner. There is still space to install another disc drive in the if I wanted to even with the pump there. smile.gif

It was the XSPC rotary fittings. They immediately leaked as soon as I had them installed. I could tell it was leaking from the rotary because you could see droplets forming there. Luckily, I had them on the reservoir or it could have ruined something... tongue.gif

Same brand 90s?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Looking to add to watercooling loop - changing things around - looking for suggestions