Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › NBCCCalc by money11465
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBCCCalc by money11465 - Page 3

post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
If there is a 800Mhz strap! All this is in theory. It has only been proven between the 1066Mhz strap and the 1333Mhz strap. Further testing on different motherboards and at different FSB must be done before we can generalize on straps at the 800Mhz, 1600Mhz, and beyond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by money11465 View Post
Once again, I am referring to the frequencies at which the straps occur rather than the sets of latencies themselves. So a DS3 user might be enjoying the set of latencies at 450FSB that a P5B user is stuck with at stock, or vice-versa. You can only compare straps on your board, and even so you must be careful as to which straps even exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by money
You were saying that the straps are "in theory" and not yet proven, and I said I wasn't referring to the actual straps, only when they appeared. Close, but subtle. But I guess we can agree pretty much.
I think you are a bit confused. We do not know when the FSB straps occur on all motherboards and at all frequencies. The only strap that we know exists is the 1066 and 1333Mhz strap on the P5B. And they only think we know about that is that it switches between the 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz strap at 400Mhz FSB. We also know that the 1066Mhz strap has lower latencies than the 1333Mhz strap, however, the 1333Mhz strap is more stable.

So you are referring to the frequencies at which they occur, but you do not know when they occur. You do not know what NBCC (FSB) triggers the change of strap on the DS3 or P5W. The only way to find that out is by testing memory bandwidth at different NBCC (FSB).

I was not referring to the latencies at all. It can be generalized that the latencies of a lower strap will always be less than the latencies of a higher strap.

Thus your NBCC Calculator cannot tell us what strap we are in. It can only tell us what NBCC value our overclock has. Experimental research can tell us where straps occur on different motherboards and you can add that into the program. Until then, your program cannot accurately determine straps.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
I think you are a bit confused. We do not know when the FSB straps occur on all motherboards and at all frequencies. The only strap that we know exists is the 1066 and 1333Mhz strap on the P5B. And they only think we know about that is that it switches between the 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz strap at 400Mhz FSB. We also know that the 1066Mhz strap has lower latencies than the 1333Mhz strap, however, the 1333Mhz strap is more stable.

So you are referring to the frequencies at which they occur, but you do not know when they occur. You do not know what NBCC (FSB) triggers the change of strap on the DS3 or P5W. The only way to find that out is by testing memory bandwidth at different NBCC (FSB).

I was not referring to the latencies at all. It can be generalized that the latencies of a lower strap will always be less than the latencies of a higher strap.

Thus your NBCC Calculator cannot tell us what strap we are in. It can only tell us what NBCC value our overclock has. Experimental research can tell us where straps occur on different motherboards and you can add that into the program. Until then, your program cannot accurately determine straps.
Not when they occur, but the frequencies at which they occur if they even do. Straps do not necessarily change when my program say they do, but my program is able to tell you "There may have been a strap change. I recommend you do a mem. bandwidth test if you don't know if you have entered a new strap".
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by money11465 View Post
Not when they occur, but the frequencies at which they occur if they even do. Straps do not necessarily change when my program say they do, but my program is able to tell you "There may have been a strap change. I recommend you do a mem. bandwidth test if you don't know if you have entered a new strap".
Quote:
Not when they occur, but the frequencies at which they occur if they even do.
You are saying the exact same thing. When they occur is the frequency at which they occur.

I never thought that your program changed NB straps. Estimation of strap change is okay, although somewhat foolish. However, you program does not label it as an estimation.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
You are saying the exact same thing. When they occur is the frequency at which they occur.

I never thought that your program changed NB straps. Estimation of strap change is okay, although somewhat foolish. However, you program does not label it as an estimation.
Let me rephrase:
I am not claiming to know when the straps really occur, but when they would occur if they existed. And what's this whole thing about changing straps? Of course it can't change the straps.
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by money11465 View Post
Let me rephrase:
I am not claiming to know when the straps really occur, but when they would occur if they existed. And what's this whole thing about changing straps? Of course it can't change the straps.
If they exist, how do you know what NBCC (FSB) they kick in at?
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
If they exist, how do you know what NBCC (FSB) they kick in at?
That's the point, I don't know, but common sense dictates (to me, maybe it's different for others) that there is a possible strap kicking in every 66FSB. So my program notifies you of a possible strap change.

EDIT:
I think it's natural that they kick in every 66FSB because that's what Intel set their CPUs to run at:
Some PDs: 133FSB
Better PDs: 200FSB
Conroes: 266FSB
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by money11465 View Post
That's the point, I don't know, but common sense dictates (to me, maybe it's different for others) that there is a possible strap kicking in every 66FSB. So my program notifies you of a possible strap change.
There is a strap change on the P5B at 400Mhz but not at 466 or 333....
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
There is a strap change on the P5B at 400Mhz but not at 466 or 333....
Exactly, all boards are different. I am incorporating all frequencies at which it makes sense that a strap change MAY have happened. If the P5B doesn't have a strap change at 333 or 466, then ignore it. Other boards may. All my program is saying is: "Watch out, your strap may have changed".
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 41
However, you information is highly misleading. The program does not say that. It says "You are on the following strap". Making a program that reports something that is inaccurate or wrong is not the best thing to do, and it can confuse a lot of people.

When I put 400Mhz FSB and a stock (9) multiplier in your calculator, it reports me as being on the 1600Mhz strap. This is untrue. I am on the 1066Mhz strap.

Quote:
My program refers to the straps by when they occur, not by the settings.
This makes little sense to me. What do you mean by when they occur, not by the setting. If the 266Mhz (1066Mhz) strap is moved to 400Mhz, then guess what. It is still the 1066Mhz strap. Your program is incorrect. It is plain and simple.

Quote:
You want to be on as low a strap as possible because higher straps mean higher latencies. However, FSB is still more important
This is not true either. 450Mhz FSB is slower than 400Mhz on a P5B.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
However, you information is highly misleading. The program does not say that. It says "You are on the following strap". Making a program that reports something that is inaccurate or wrong is not the best thing to do, and it can confuse a lot of people.

When I put 400Mhz FSB and a stock (9) multiplier in your calculator, it reports me as being on the 1600Mhz strap. This is untrue. I am on the 1066Mhz strap.
Well, it might be nice if people read my post before downloading because it states:
Quote:
Also please note that most boards do not implement all of the straps yet, i.e. on the P5B-Deluxe only the 1066 and 1600 straps are in place, so any reported straps that are non-existent on your board are really the one below it (i.e. the 1333 strap is really still the 1066 on the P5B-Deluxe). Furthermore, you may notice that straps are "pushed forward" on some boards, for example the latency settings that should have occurred at 1333 occur at 1600.
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Lynnfield Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i5 750 ASUS P7P55D EVO GTX280 RAID0 250GB Seagate Perp. 16MB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Sony DVD+/-RW/RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 20.1" Sceptre 1680x1050 Logitech Slim 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650W Antec P180B Logitech G500 Allsop High-tracking Metal pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › NBCCCalc by money11465