Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Why are they shoving 2-4gb of VRAM in mobile card's? O.o
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are they shoving 2-4gb of VRAM in mobile card's? O.o

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
So the 760 and 770 both have a 256 buss and 2gb, the top of the line 780 has a 384? buss with 3gb and some AMD's have a 512 buss speeds with 4gb. So why on earth does the 740m which is basically a 650m (512mb or 1gb) right?, come with 2gb and you can get a 750 with 4gb of VRAM? Really? I find it hard to believe that the 780m can utilize 4gb so why are they throwing it on the 750m?

Now I know you can get a 4gb 770 and a 6gb 780 but those are more for bragging rights and such, if you want an HP envy with a 750m it comes with 4gb a VRAM, why?
post #2 of 10
It's nothing more then a marketing gimmick, and sometimes the cards with higher amounts of memory have lower bandwidth, like the 2gb gtx560m was 128bit, and performed worse then it's 1gb 256bit counterpart, these weaker cards will never saturate that much memory.

TLDR: Get uninformed people to buy things they think are better.
Ryzen 2017
(17 items)
 
Home Server
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 @ 3.95GHz - 1.425V Asus Prime X370 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE 2000/6000 @ 1.025v 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2933MHz CL16-16-16-35 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
BPX 120GB NVMe SSD *boot* Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD Crucial BX100 1TB SSD Asus DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XG270HU 1440P 144Hz Freesync Cougar 600k Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x1050w Antec 1100 V2 Razer Deathadder Elite Steelseries QCK Heavy 
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Asus KCMA-D8 Nvidia GT 520 1GB DDR3 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
32GB (4GBx8) Kingston 1066 ECC DDR3 (4x) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HDD's out of an old NAS Lightscribe CD/DVDRW Xubuntu 16.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 17" 4:3 Trash Dell Membrane OCZ 750w Generic Mid Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Lenovo Laser Tabletop None 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 2017
(17 items)
 
Home Server
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 @ 3.95GHz - 1.425V Asus Prime X370 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE 2000/6000 @ 1.025v 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2933MHz CL16-16-16-35 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
BPX 120GB NVMe SSD *boot* Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD Crucial BX100 1TB SSD Asus DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XG270HU 1440P 144Hz Freesync Cougar 600k Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x1050w Antec 1100 V2 Razer Deathadder Elite Steelseries QCK Heavy 
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Asus KCMA-D8 Nvidia GT 520 1GB DDR3 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
32GB (4GBx8) Kingston 1066 ECC DDR3 (4x) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HDD's out of an old NAS Lightscribe CD/DVDRW Xubuntu 16.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 17" 4:3 Trash Dell Membrane OCZ 750w Generic Mid Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Lenovo Laser Tabletop None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

So the 760 and 770 both have a 256 buss and 2gb, the top of the line 780 has a 384? buss with 3gb and some AMD's have a 512 buss speeds with 4gb. So why on earth does the 740m which is basically a 650m (512mb or 1gb) right?, come with 2gb and you can get a 750 with 4gb of VRAM? Really? I find it hard to believe that the 780m can utilize 4gb so why are they throwing it on the 750m?

Now I know you can get a 4gb 770 and a 6gb 780 but those are more for bragging rights and such, if you want an HP envy with a 750m it comes with 4gb a VRAM, why?

because marketing
so someone that has no idea about computers what looks better
a laptop with a 750m with 4gb
or a desktop with a 770 and 3gb

someone who knows nothing about computers would go for the laptop.

edit: damn ninjas
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk16 View Post

because marketing
so someone that has no idea about computers what looks better
a laptop with a 750m with 4gb
or a desktop with a 770 and 3gb

someone who knows nothing about computers would go for the laptop.

edit: damn ninjas

wink.gif
Ryzen 2017
(17 items)
 
Home Server
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 @ 3.95GHz - 1.425V Asus Prime X370 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE 2000/6000 @ 1.025v 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2933MHz CL16-16-16-35 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
BPX 120GB NVMe SSD *boot* Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD Crucial BX100 1TB SSD Asus DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XG270HU 1440P 144Hz Freesync Cougar 600k Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x1050w Antec 1100 V2 Razer Deathadder Elite Steelseries QCK Heavy 
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Asus KCMA-D8 Nvidia GT 520 1GB DDR3 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
32GB (4GBx8) Kingston 1066 ECC DDR3 (4x) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HDD's out of an old NAS Lightscribe CD/DVDRW Xubuntu 16.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 17" 4:3 Trash Dell Membrane OCZ 750w Generic Mid Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Lenovo Laser Tabletop None 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 2017
(17 items)
 
Home Server
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 @ 3.95GHz - 1.425V Asus Prime X370 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE 2000/6000 @ 1.025v 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2933MHz CL16-16-16-35 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
BPX 120GB NVMe SSD *boot* Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD Crucial BX100 1TB SSD Asus DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XG270HU 1440P 144Hz Freesync Cougar 600k Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x1050w Antec 1100 V2 Razer Deathadder Elite Steelseries QCK Heavy 
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Asus KCMA-D8 Nvidia GT 520 1GB DDR3 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
32GB (4GBx8) Kingston 1066 ECC DDR3 (4x) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HDD's out of an old NAS Lightscribe CD/DVDRW Xubuntu 16.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 17" 4:3 Trash Dell Membrane OCZ 750w Generic Mid Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Lenovo Laser Tabletop None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
So what amount of memory is good for what buss speed? And what amount "kind of sort of helps" and what amount is a stupid waist?
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

So what amount of memory is good for what buss speed? And what amount "kind of sort of helps" and what amount is a stupid waist?
Like the 7GHz 770's that have 4GB and the Titan? How well do those make use of the memory?

And would cards loaded with double memory work better in SLi? Like they don't have double the memory but do they have a faster buss speed with 2 cards? or does it just use one cards memory? or how does it know which cards memory to access?
Edited by ScaryFatKidGT - 1/9/14 at 3:45am
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hmm hmm?
post #8 of 10
Maybe this is usefull to you:



EDIT: wow so tiny but here is the source:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklen View Post

Maybe this is usefull to you:



EDIT: wow so tiny but here is the source:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/
Yeah I was guna say, cant read that. Thats so weird the 4GB is just a tiny bit better but there dead even at 5760 x 1080... It did pull off 2 FPS better at Metro and lost planet 5760 x 1080 lol.

People keep telling me that at 1440, you need more than 2GB of VRAM but it looks like most of there stuff ran 1600 fine except stiff like metro. I love how they don't say anything about memory bandwidth...

So 780 it is I guess? I wonder if a 3GB titan would be just as good as 6... I guess Ill be looking at 780 vs 290x vs 780 ti vs titan benchmarks like everyone else.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Yeah I was guna say, cant read that. Thats so weird the 4GB is just a tiny bit better but there dead even at 5760 x 1080... It did pull off 2 FPS better at Metro and lost planet 5760 x 1080 lol.

People keep telling me that at 1440, you need more than 2GB of VRAM but it looks like most of there stuff ran 1600 fine except stiff like metro. I love how they don't say anything about memory bandwidth...

So 780 it is I guess? I wonder if a 3GB titan would be just as good as 6... I guess Ill be looking at 780 vs 290x vs 780 ti vs titan benchmarks like everyone else.

they showed averages not minimums, i believe, which matter most. but 2 GB should work 'cause there are settings that are just as good as, say over msaa, such as smaa. look at C3 bench. but i recommend the bigger vram if the cost difference isn't much.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Why are they shoving 2-4gb of VRAM in mobile card's? O.o