Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [AnandTech] AMD FreeSync.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[AnandTech] AMD FreeSync. - Page 35  

post #341 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I have no love for G-Sync. As I have said many times, It isn't even a requirement for my next monitor purchase ... which is most likely still a year or more away.

So please don't confuse my HATRED of people spreading lies about reality, confusing the difference between the eDP standard and the DP standard, thinking that DP1.3 is finalized, or thinking that even when it is finalized that the feature that is needed to make "FreeSync" work will even be in the standard as a REQUIREMENT (as opposed to an option) just because AMD shows a cobbled together laptop based on eDP *NOT* DP1.x and that somehow, someone is going to develop and give away for FREE the ASIC needed to make it all work. Not to mention the fact that it isn't even clear that the connector for DP1.3 will even be the same as DP1.2 and thus ALL video cards out there today, will not be able to use it.

Bottom line, my "debate" (which I am not debating, I am setting the record straight from a:mad:n OBVIOUS PR stunt done by AMD to try to counter G-Sync) is all about facts, and not hype.

You know the difference between proprietary tech vs Standard tech?
post #342 of 388
With this much arguing for FreeSync, where's the skepticism that G-Sync faced when it was announced?
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
post #343 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

With this much arguing for FreeSync, where's the skepticism that G-Sync faced when it was announced?

This is nothing, but skepticism my friend biggrin.gif Skepticism and bashing. The G-Sync arguments were kept on a better level IMO, they were more about the high cost (that's debatable) and the limited information of the the benefits of the technology. Now that we know the facts about the technology there's not much to debate about so these guys thought it would be great to throw some next level conspiracy theories (worse than the moon landing ones) in the mix and spread their bias.

EDIT: Also I can't stress enough the fact that this is ONLY an idea, an option for G-Sync from AMD. It might never become true, they have no plans for it, right now it's just a concept. This is something that they think could work in the future, they don't even profit from it, they aren't making a big deal of it , so I don't really see what these people could possibly have against it.
Edited by AlDyer - 1/10/14 at 2:53pm
Ravager
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 XFX R9 390 DD Black Edition Kingston HyperX Fury  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial BX100  WD Blue Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Insider Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PF 24" 144Hz Freesync Steelseries 6Gv2 EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 Steelseries QcK Heavy Kingston HyperX Cloud ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
Ravager
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 XFX R9 390 DD Black Edition Kingston HyperX Fury  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial BX100  WD Blue Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Insider Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PF 24" 144Hz Freesync Steelseries 6Gv2 EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 Steelseries QcK Heavy Kingston HyperX Cloud ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
post #344 of 388
Comes down to ignorance or the need to argue. As most of us stated early in the thread:

1. Freesync isn't an item, its an idea.

2. An idea that has been in place for quite some time (again I found as far back as 2008).

3. Point was to tell the world that there has been a fix and it is an optional part of DP1.3 that goes for ratification in 60-90 days.

4. It was also to bring to light that AMDs position is that it shouldn't be a proprietary fix.
Quote:
This is my take not an actual quote: AMD feels that a fix like this should not be proprietary for a couple of reasons. First the fix only required both GPU and Monitor Manufacturers to come up and implement this fix which has been in existence for a while. And we as consumers shouldn't be paying for a fix that should have been a part of the original purchase, In other words when you bought your GPU it should have worked without the need to pay for something else. This isn't like Physix which is just an added feature this alters the final state of gaming ( although it really comes down to how particular you are, Gsync has little value for me).

5. AMD mentioned that they have had this fix for their end already, GPU-wise. It was mentioned that is was/is in the latest Catalyst release, although not unlocked.

6. AMD is not in control of VESA standards and therefore wanted to advertise this tech to put pressure on the ratification of DP1.3 and the optional parts.

7. This fix does not rely solely on DP1.3 and could be implemented by any number of Monitor manufacturers.

8. For now the only way to get this fix is to have a Kepler Nvidia GPU and a G-sync enabled monitor. Free-sync option being an idea has no physical presence as of yet and no due date for reference.

I think that covers most of it.
post #345 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

The Vblank issue is probably going to be more of a problem anyway. It may, emphasis may, be possible to shoehorn this into an extended DP1.2 connection, but it is probably not going to be possible to retrofit a monitor to support Vblank. So even if you happen to be able to do it with existing Radeon cards, you'd still need a new monitor. Which, depending on cost, makes it basically no different then G-sync.
Do you think an LCD could with such an update? I was thinking that since one can OC one that it may be possible. I don't know for sure, not an expert here.
post #346 of 388
My prediction is that DP 1.3 will include support for freesync but it will not be mandatory.

This allows to monitor makers to add a charge for building in the support as a feature for their monitor line.

Most monitors that are sold are not gamed on and don't need this tech built in.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
post #347 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

My prediction is that DP 1.3 will include support for freesync but it will not be mandatory.

This allows to monitor makers to add a charge for building in the support as a feature for their monitor line.

Most monitors that are sold are not gamed on and don't need this tech built in.
I would prefer it be mandatory, because it would still be useful for video playback and energy efficiency.
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
post #348 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

Do you think an LCD could with such an update? I was thinking that since one can OC one that it may be possible. I don't know for sure, not an expert here.

No idea, but from the quotes I've seen from the engineers I wouldn't think so. It doesn't sound like a firmware kind of change, more something that requires new silicon. I'd imagine that if it could be retrofitted that's something Nvidia would have looked into instead of making a whole new module (which obviously cost them a fair amount of R&D money).
post #349 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post

I would prefer it be mandatory, because it would still be useful for video playback and energy efficiency.

The only context in which variable framerate helps is with gaming, because video playback is sourced at a fixed framerate, generally speaking. If you play an .MKV file, the framerate is constant - therefore any type of variable refresh tech essentially does nothing. Unless i'm really missing something. Let me know if that is the case, because aside from gaming everything is generally sourced at a fixed framerate. That is certainly the case with most video (24-30hz).

As far as energy efficiency, that is what laptops use it for via eDP. You don't want this in desktop monitors, unless you want framerates or refresh rates to randomly jump at crazy intervals. Energy efficiency of modern desktop panels are pretty good, anyway, so I don't see how that is applicable. What specifically did you have in mind with this in terms of energy efficiency? I can't think of any type of auto dimming or refresh rate dynamically lowering as being wanted on the desktop. Personally when my refresh rate goes from 120 to 60, even on the desktop, it is noticeable. I've used a 4k 30hz panel. At 30hz, the response is noticeably much worse than 60hz. You're not using a desktop monitor on a battery life type of system so this is not desirable. It creates situations where input response time becomes worse - like I said, your refresh can randomly go from 60 to 30hz. You don't want this. That's why desktop screens do not use eDP.

These aren't features you want on a desktop screen. It helps on a laptop, which uses eDP, because your priority while on the go is battery life. But that isn't the priority with a desktop screen. A desktop screen is more or less plugged in and will never die due to a laptop battery running out. (obviously..)
Edited by xoleras - 1/10/14 at 4:19pm
post #350 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

The Vblank issue is probably going to be more of a problem anyway. It may, emphasis may, be possible to shoehorn this into an extended DP1.2 connection, but it is probably not going to be possible to retrofit a monitor to support Vblank. So even if you happen to be able to do it with existing Radeon cards, you'd still need a new monitor. Which, depending on cost, makes it basically no different then G-sync.

That is the most likely scenario that I've been trying to explain to people. New monitor, same gpu. But, you're wrong on one part, a new monitor with G-Sync will definitely be more expensive than one with vblank, not just because of the licensing cost to nividia. But also because it will come will a G-Sync stamp of approval that will raise the retail price by default. New monitors that support vblank should be no more expensive than any other monitor, because they will technically just be normal monitors.
Death Star
(21 items)
 
Darksaber
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x2 245 Asus M3A78 Radeon HD6570 1GB Mushkin Silverline 2GB DDR2  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB Samsung Blu-Ray Windows 7 Samsung 46" DLP 
PowerCaseOther
Silverstone Strider Essentials 400W Silverstone Milo ML03B Hauppage WinTV 1250 
  hide details  
Death Star
(21 items)
 
Darksaber
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x2 245 Asus M3A78 Radeon HD6570 1GB Mushkin Silverline 2GB DDR2  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB Samsung Blu-Ray Windows 7 Samsung 46" DLP 
PowerCaseOther
Silverstone Strider Essentials 400W Silverstone Milo ML03B Hauppage WinTV 1250 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [AnandTech] AMD FreeSync.