Originally Posted by Durquavian
READ THE ARTICLE. In stead of wasting valuable thread space, read the article of Freesync on laptops. It is mentioned being in the latest catalyst driver.
I'm sorry that it hurts your feelings, apparently, but AMD was pretty much downright deceptive in terms of what their reps stated in the original AT article. It was sparse on information and we now know more.
Here are the facts:
1) AMD's freesync demo only worked because their laptops used the eDP interface. eDP is not used in desktop monitors.
2) AMD's freesync requires displayport 1.3. Their GPUs do not support DP 1.3. DP 1.3 is not even finalized yet, and probably won't be until this summer or fall of 2014.
3) AMD's freesync requires a controller in the monitor that is variable refresh aware. This is NO DIFFERENT THAN g-sync which has a module for the SAME REASON
. AMD's marketing lied and told you it was free.
4) Based on #3: new monitor is not free. new controller is not free. This ignores the fact that DP 1.3 monitors will not be on market for all of 2014 in all likelihood.
5) Freesync is marketing type designed to take attention away from g-sync.
6) Lastly, g-sync was not announced until it was DONE. nvidia has monitor partners READY. G-sync monitors are ready. The release time frame is set. Nvidia has a plan to get it to market.
7) Meanwhile, AMD's lying, I mean, marketing department has zero monitor partners. They don't have a release time frame. They have no plan to market.
AMD's marketing lied to you. Misled you. They had you alll thinking that a free g-sync was coming and coming soon, and you all ate it up. This is what AMD's marketing does. Half truths and lies. I've outlined this before, but based on how many times AMD failed me with 5870 and 7970CF? I know better than to ever listen to a freaking word they say. This is no exception. My suspicion is that Free-sync won't materialize at all in 2014.
Despite AMD lying to you. You'll still defend them to to the end. I truly don't understand AMD fans. I've been there done that, i've given AMD thousands of dollars for GPUs over the years. After them failing me and failing on promises, though, I'll tell you what. I'll never defend them or support them again.
IMO, what AMD needs to do is fire 80% of their scumbag marketing staff and use that money towards engineers. For software and hardware. That would truly help them making compelling products without the marketing bullcrap. Instead we have what we have. AMD marketing fluff who will lie to you, they will do anything to get your money. But will they deliver on their promises? Considering 5870-7970CF still doesn't have eyefinity fixed 3 years later, I would say no. My 2 5870CF paperweights sitting here in my closet? Which still have tearing in eyefinity 3 years later? They tell me, AMD won't deliver on promises.Edited by xoleras - 1/10/14 at 6:05am