Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TR] Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TR] Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo - Page 25  

post #241 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboner1 View Post

Well you can look at it another way and say Nvidia stayed quiet about g-sync because they knew about the plans for vblank support being standardized with dp 1.3. and being done for free, and rushed through a dodgy deal to get it done as quickly as possible to have 12 months of sole profits by making it a paid for item. I suppose it depends on how you feel about g-sync whether or not this is a good thing for you. Personally i won't be getting free sync as i'm not a massive fan of proprietary , and g sync just doesn't sound that great to me, i would be giving up to much to go back to a nvidia gpu, but to people who already own nvidia and plan on getting a $800 tn panel for something that should be free, then i guess you can call it a "privilege for the early access". Personally i would call it "being given the middle finger by nvidia" but hey that's just me. If you live in a bubble like xoleras and knucklehead and think nvidia are saints and saviours for our souls and think they wouldn't do a dodgy deal like this maybe look into the deal nvidia cut with origin, and the things they paid origin to say.
Agreed. There is an opportunity for the conspiracy that Nvidia made G-sync to capitalize before DP1.3. But none of us know for sure. Nor do we know the full reason behind AMD speaking of Free-sync. Could be they wanted to further along DP1.3 ratification, heck CES14 is a great place to do that. Or maybe it was to steal G-syncs thunder. Although it is just my opinion, I feel the latter is less likely the main point but rather a nice little addition to the original point. But again just guesses.
post #242 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

Agreed. There is an opportunity for the conspiracy that Nvidia made G-sync to capitalize before DP1.3. But none of us know for sure. Nor do we know the full reason behind AMD speaking of Free-sync. Could be they wanted to further along DP1.3 ratification, heck CES14 is a great place to do that. Or maybe it was to steal G-syncs thunder. Although it is just my opinion, I feel the latter is less likely the main point but rather a nice little addition to the original point. But again just guesses.

more like to steal the thunder. corporate move - pretty much all companies do it.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
post #243 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

more like to steal the thunder. corporate move - pretty much all companies do it.
But then if that were the case they could have said they were creating their own. But rather they stated that the tech was already out there, more an informative ploy than vindictive.
post #244 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

But then if that were the case they could have said they were creating their own. But rather they stated that the tech was already out there, more an informative ploy than vindictive.

Except in the world of desktop monitors, which is what they were insinuating, it ISN'T "already out there".

Thus, it was a jab.

Now IF they had just done it for mobile, THEN you could argue that their motives were purely informative and altruistic, but they didn't do that.
post #245 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

But then if that were the case they could have said they were creating their own. But rather they stated that the tech was already out there, more an informative ploy than vindictive.
The way I see it, Nvidia is taking responsibility for the end user experience, and AMD is blaming the problem on monitor manufacturers and inertia. What matters is that SOMEBODY finally decided to disrupt the market.

As for the demo, I have a lot of questions:
How does the interface behave when framerate is changing quickly/unpredictably?
Does total latency match g-sync?
Do any existing desktop monitors support it?
Have any monitor manufacturers committed to develop it?
How many months/years will it take to get it on my desk?
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
post #246 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post

The way I see it, Nvidia is taking responsibility for the end user experience, and AMD is blaming the problem on monitor manufacturers and inertia. What matters is that SOMEBODY finally decided to disrupt the market.

As for the demo, I have a lot of questions:
How does the interface behave when framerate is changing quickly/unpredictably?
Does total latency match g-sync?
Do any existing desktop monitors support it?
Have any monitor manufacturers committed to develop it?
How many months/years will it take to get it on my desk?

Agreed. I too am glad that it is finally being addressed.

As far as the demo:
1) Unknown, there are no hard numbers.
2) Unknown, there are no hard numbers.
3) No. No desktop monitor supports eDP1.0, which is required to do what they did. AMD is HOPING that the Display Port group will add the needed functionality that they used in the eDP1.0 standard to the upcoming DP1.3 standard, which isn't even finalized yet, and won't be for 60-90 days. That also means, as you guessed, since DP1.3 isn't finalized, NO desktop monitors out there support DP1.3 and most likely none will until 2015.
4) No. Not have publicly said that they will or will not.
5) At the very least, if VBLANK makes it into the final DP1.3 standard, and someone eats the cost of the ASIC in the monitor (because AMD has stated they aren't going to do what nVidia did and design a card like G-Sync, AMD is relying on the monitor manufacturers, which so far haven't said they will do anything, much less spend the money in designing this needed ASIC to take advantage of "FreeSync" ... I wouldn't expect to see any desktop monitor support "FreeSync" until mid 2015 or 2016. Assuming everything goes AMD's way with the Display Port group and monitor companies don't mind fitting the bill for a competing standard that many of them already have signed on with nVidia and G-Sync.
post #247 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

AMD has been doing this sort of garbage since the days of "Breaking the 1GHz barrier" with CPU's.

They were all high and mighty when they beat Intel to 1GHz. They rubed it in their face. They did it again when they were the first to 2GHz. When Intel beat them to 3GHz, what was AMD's response? "GHz doesn't matter, it's all about cores, not speed." Way to move the goal post when you are losing.

AMD is nothing more than a marketing hype machine anymore. They do this garbage with "FreeSync". They got nothing but proof of concept and they go and pull a PR stunt like this.

They make WILD and totally unsubstantiated claims about 45% more FPS with Mantle in BF4 than with DirectX. No proof.

They swear up and down for over a year that there is no issue with Crossfire and frame latency. They slander PCP for showing it. And when they finally can't hide from facts anymore, they "fix it" and act like they didn't lie for over a year about their well known problem.

Their "fix" for frame latency isn't. It still doesn't work for DirectX. It doesn't work with multiple monitors. It doesn't work on single monitors with resolutions abouve 2560x1600. It's been 9 months since the "fixed it" and nearly 2 years since the problem was pointed out.

They flat out lied on their white paper about the TDP with their Phenom CPUs.

The list of lies goes on and on.

I used to LOVE ATI, and honestly, I wept the day that AMD bought them out. AMD has polluted ATI with lies and deceptions.

"FreeSync" is just another example of that. An example where some people are either so clueless or so partisan they don't even see it.

 

 

LOL.. :kookoo:

 

 

When AMD reached the 1Ghz barrier, there was very little multi-threading in programs and moAr Hz was the business. By the time Intel beat AMD to 3Ghz, multi-threading and cores seem to be more important... than just strait up Hz. You really don't conceptualize this too well.

 

Re-read your post^, u rant on & on, like an angry kid. Just because you are mad that AMD for admitting what NVidia wouldn't, that G-sync/FreeSync is essentially a gimmick...?

 

 

Why do you keep track of AMD's publicity stunts...   very weird.

post #248 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post


LOL.. kookoo.gif


When AMD reached the 1Ghz barrier, there was very little multi-threading in programs and moAr Hz was the business. By the time Intel beat AMD to 3Ghz, multi-threading and cores seem to be more important... than just strait up Hz. You really don't conceptualize this too well.

Re-read your post^, u rant on & on, like an angry kid. Just because you are mad that AMD for admitting what NVidia wouldn't, that G-sync/FreeSync is essentially a gimmick...?


Why do you keep track of AMD's publicity stunts...   very weird.

with all the great things being said about gsync, i really just dont understand how you can say solving one of the longest running problems in PC gaming is a gimmick. you just want to argue.
post #249 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaheysadrunk View Post

with all the great things being said about gsync, i really just dont understand how you can say solving one of the longest running problems in PC gaming is a gimmick. you just want to argue.

Well it wasn't such a huge problem before they decided to fix it. Before G-Sync came out nobody was talking about the need to fix "one of the longest running problems", but it is great that people have their fix now and all. For me it doesn't seem to offer great satisfaction. I really haven't experienced tearing or I don't notice it at least so it doesn't fix anything for me biggrin.gif
Ravager
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 XFX R9 390 DD Black Edition Kingston HyperX Fury  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial BX100  WD Blue Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Insider Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PF 24" 144Hz Freesync Steelseries 6Gv2 EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 Steelseries QcK Heavy Kingston HyperX Cloud ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
Ravager
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 XFX R9 390 DD Black Edition Kingston HyperX Fury  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial BX100  WD Blue Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Insider Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PF 24" 144Hz Freesync Steelseries 6Gv2 EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 Steelseries QcK Heavy Kingston HyperX Cloud ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
post #250 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDyer View Post

Well it wasn't such a huge problem before they decided to fix it. Before G-Sync came out nobody was talking about the need to fix "one of the longest running problems", but it is great that people have their fix now and all. For me it doesn't seem to offer great satisfaction. I really haven't experienced tearing or I don't notice it at least so it doesn't fix anything for me biggrin.gif

yep, and thats the problem. you have gamed for so long with screen tear and input lag that you dont notice it. doesnt mean its not there, and it doesnt mean that you wont benefit from gsync.

Gsync is something that the non believers will have to just see in person. i dont need to see it to know im going to love it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TR] Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo