Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Cant decide what monitor setup to get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cant decide what monitor setup to get

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hey all, looking to upgrade my monitor setup but I am torn on what route to go so I was curious what you all thought.


Currently I have a Single U2713HM so here is what I was thinking



Option 1: Buy 2x More U2713HM's and do 7680x1440 eyefinity/nv surround. Potential downside is that I am limited physically to two gpus, so that means either 2x 780 classy (ti's are too much and I already have a 780 classy) or 2x 290s


Option 2: Buy 3x Dell S2740L 1080p IPS screens and run those. Not as good as my current screen but a lot less GPU Demand

Option 3: Buy a Single Dell 24" 4K monitor. Not sure if I can go back to a single 24" is my concern/perhaps too small to take advantage of that extra res




My ideal option is one but I think it will kick the **** out of 2 gpus




I know it is personal preference but I am curious what you guys think.
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Just food for thought. Dell announced a 28" IPS 4k monitor for $699. Available at the end of this month.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post

Option 1: Buy 2x More U2713HM's and do 7680x1440 eyefinity/nv surround. Potential downside is that I am limited physically to two gpus, so that means either 2x 780 classy (ti's are too much and I already have a 780 classy) or 2x 290s

Option 2: Buy 3x Dell S2740L 1080p IPS screens and run those. Not as good as my current screen but a lot less GPU Demand

Option 3: Buy a Single Dell 24" 4K monitor. Not sure if I can go back to a single 24" is my concern/perhaps too small to take advantage of that extra res

I know it is personal preference but I am curious what you guys think.
I think it's personal preference tongue.gif

Personally I'm trying to go for 5x1P but am failing to find a recent card to power it. Seeing as you only have 3 screens both Nvidia and AMD are options. A 780 is a powerful card so if you find the need for dual GPU system I would just order a second. A different option would be to tough it out with your single 780 then buy one (TRI-SLI) or two (QUAD-SLI) dual GPU cards once they become available. There are pros and cons to every option. At the moment I feel 290s aren't the best choice with the price hike, especially considering you already have a 780. Unless you're considering a furutre upgrade to 5x1P which Nvidia Surround does not support.

Options 1 and 2 are similar. 3 screens in landscape (or in portrait if you end up deciding you like it better). The only difference is the resolution. Of course with a higher resolution you can turn down AA. Also, with 3x 1440p if you decide you don't have enough power and your best option is to lower resolution, you can run 3x 1280x720 and run faster than the 3x1080p option.

Option 3 is very different. A single screen, smaller than just the one you have now. On the other hand it has 4k res (even less AA, if any) and no bezels - although in 3x1L that's pretty much a non-issue, particularly if you choose to de-bezel those puppies.

If you're asking for my preference, option 1. Not that that will help you much smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavo451 View Post

Just food for thought. Dell announced a 28" IPS 4k monitor for $699. Available at the end of this month.
It's TN, not IPS. The topic's been updated to reflect so. Not really in league with the Dell U series tbh. But may still be an option for the OP.
3930K
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K [C2 rev] Gigabyte X79-UD3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC G.Skill 32GB PC3-12800 RipjawsZ DDR3 SDRAM (4x ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 512GB 830 SSD LG USB DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooling Socket 2011 Win7 x64 Ultimate 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Debian amd64 7.2 LG 47" LX9500 TV 5x1P Dell U2713HM Ergonomic Microsoft wired keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 1250W APLUS Case Monolize, ATX, Black, 2x250mm Fans Logitech MX518 generic 
AudioAudioAudio
onboard sound card Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver Jamo S 606 HCS 5 - 5.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
3930K
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K [C2 rev] Gigabyte X79-UD3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC G.Skill 32GB PC3-12800 RipjawsZ DDR3 SDRAM (4x ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 512GB 830 SSD LG USB DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooling Socket 2011 Win7 x64 Ultimate 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Debian amd64 7.2 LG 47" LX9500 TV 5x1P Dell U2713HM Ergonomic Microsoft wired keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 1250W APLUS Case Monolize, ATX, Black, 2x250mm Fans Logitech MX518 generic 
AudioAudioAudio
onboard sound card Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver Jamo S 606 HCS 5 - 5.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Go option 1 and don't be retarded with the AA setting and you'll be fine.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavo451 View Post

Just food for thought. Dell announced a 28" IPS 4k monitor for $699. Available at the end of this month.

Yeah Sadly its TN and only 30hz so its out frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennumen View Post

I think it's personal preference tongue.gif

Personally I'm trying to go for 5x1P but am failing to find a recent card to power it. Seeing as you only have 3 screens both Nvidia and AMD are options. A 780 is a powerful card so if you find the need for dual GPU system I would just order a second. A different option would be to tough it out with your single 780 then buy one (TRI-SLI) or two (QUAD-SLI) dual GPU cards once they become available. There are pros and cons to every option. At the moment I feel 290s aren't the best choice with the price hike, especially considering you already have a 780. Unless you're considering a furutre upgrade to 5x1P which Nvidia Surround does not support.

Options 1 and 2 are similar. 3 screens in landscape (or in portrait if you end up deciding you like it better). The only difference is the resolution. Of course with a higher resolution you can turn down AA. Also, with 3x 1440p if you decide you don't have enough power and your best option is to lower resolution, you can run 3x 1280x720 and run faster than the 3x1080p option.

Option 3 is very different. A single screen, smaller than just the one you have now. On the other hand it has 4k res (even less AA, if any) and no bezels - although in 3x1L that's pretty much a non-issue, particularly if you choose to de-bezel those puppies.

If you're asking for my preference, option 1. Not that that will help you much smile.gif
It's TN, not IPS. The topic's been updated to reflect so. Not really in league with the Dell U series tbh. But may still be an option for the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukla View Post

Go option 1 and don't be retarded with the AA setting and you'll be fine.


Option 1 would be my ideal but I am just worried if 2 780s can power it, I can happily give up AA but do you think ill get decent results? I don't want it to be a slideshow
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
A single 780 runs 1440p with pretty much everything on max (if I'm not mistaken, you'd know best). You're asking 2 at, what, 180% efficiency to run 3x the pixels (or slightly more with bezel compensation). On the upside you can disable AA giving a nice boost.

I think you'll be fine but you might have to compromise slightly. That said 780SLI should tide you over for 2 years at least. And who knows, by then you may have fallen in love with an oculus rift and/or new AMD/Nvidia tech.

I don't know if you use it solely for gaming but 3x 1440p is just boss for efficiency. Especially in 3x1P. May also be a factor.
3930K
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K [C2 rev] Gigabyte X79-UD3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC G.Skill 32GB PC3-12800 RipjawsZ DDR3 SDRAM (4x ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 512GB 830 SSD LG USB DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooling Socket 2011 Win7 x64 Ultimate 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Debian amd64 7.2 LG 47" LX9500 TV 5x1P Dell U2713HM Ergonomic Microsoft wired keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 1250W APLUS Case Monolize, ATX, Black, 2x250mm Fans Logitech MX518 generic 
AudioAudioAudio
onboard sound card Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver Jamo S 606 HCS 5 - 5.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
3930K
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K [C2 rev] Gigabyte X79-UD3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC G.Skill 32GB PC3-12800 RipjawsZ DDR3 SDRAM (4x ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 512GB 830 SSD LG USB DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooling Socket 2011 Win7 x64 Ultimate 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Debian amd64 7.2 LG 47" LX9500 TV 5x1P Dell U2713HM Ergonomic Microsoft wired keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 1250W APLUS Case Monolize, ATX, Black, 2x250mm Fans Logitech MX518 generic 
AudioAudioAudio
onboard sound card Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver Jamo S 606 HCS 5 - 5.1 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
I know that my single not over clocked reference 780 handled BF3 at something like 6000x1080 (bezel correction) with like 2xMSAA at 60FPS easy

You'll be fine if you remove AA (which is where most performance hit occurs)
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukla View Post

I know that my single not over clocked reference 780 handled BF3 at something like 6000x1080 (bezel correction) with like 2xMSAA at 60FPS easy

You'll be fine if you remove AA (which is where most performance hit occurs)


Yeah no AA doesn't bother me and my current 780 does 1.2ghz on air so that should help biggrin.gif



Glad to hear I might be able to reasonably run it after all, the 3x 1440p screens are what I really want but I was concerned about gpu power given that I only have 2 slots
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Triplewide U2713's and a second 780 would be my choice. biggrin.gif (Says the Surround addict... biggrin.gif)
Aoi
(20 items)
 
Midori
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 Gigabyte G1.Killer Guerilla GTX670 4GB SLI 24GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Velociraptor Samsung F1 Blu-ray XL Corsair H70 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell 2405FPW Dell U2410 Dell 2405FPW 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Silverstone Strider 1kw Corsair 700D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 Ozone XL Integrated Logitech G13 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Asus P8Z77-M Pro nVidia GTX680 Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
WD Velociraptor 600GB Samsung DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Ubuntu Server Customised 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Triple Dell U2412M Sidewinder X6 Corsair TX750 Fractal Design R4 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
Aoi
(20 items)
 
Midori
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 Gigabyte G1.Killer Guerilla GTX670 4GB SLI 24GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Velociraptor Samsung F1 Blu-ray XL Corsair H70 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell 2405FPW Dell U2410 Dell 2405FPW 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Silverstone Strider 1kw Corsair 700D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 Ozone XL Integrated Logitech G13 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Asus P8Z77-M Pro nVidia GTX680 Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
WD Velociraptor 600GB Samsung DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Ubuntu Server Customised 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Triple Dell U2412M Sidewinder X6 Corsair TX750 Fractal Design R4 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
i am personally selling my Dell U2713HM and will be buying 3x Dell U2414H.

let me know what you end up going for and sow dem pics!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Cant decide what monitor setup to get