Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 290 or 290x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

290 or 290x

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I am looking to upgrade to either 290 or 290x. Currently i am thinking about either MSI or Sapphire but i am not sure what i should go for 290 or 290x, please advise on what i should get.

Also which brand do you guys recommend MSI, sapphire or Asus?
post #2 of 13
At $399 the 290 was THE bang for buck GPU

Now I'd get the 780 if not planning to mine
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post

At $399 the 290 was THE bang for buck GPU

Now I'd get the 780 if not planning to mine

I am actually wanting to switch from nvidia to amd.
post #4 of 13
The performance difference between the two is very small, certainly not worth the price difference unless you absolutely need every last bit of performance. I would get a 290. And heck, you might get lucky with one that unlocks into a 290X anyway.
post #5 of 13
Both are good GPU. I like MSI sapphire or asus
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

The performance difference between the two is very small, certainly not worth the price difference unless you absolutely need every last bit of performance. I would get a 290. And heck, you might get lucky with one that unlocks into a 290X anyway.

Ye, i was thinking 290 to but i am not sure what brand i should go for.
post #7 of 13
the 290 is a bit faster than a gtx 780 how ever the price is kinda high!!....i have asus 290 with a waterblock it;s clock @ 1160 core and 1360 mem it playing all my games high to ultra @ 2560x1080 the gtx780 is also a great option if want high overclocks...290 is great card for gaming not just for mining lol some people really need to chill out with only for mining junk...thumb.gif
GAMEZ PC BOX
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X BioStar X370 GT7 2 XFX FURY X Crossfire @ 1070 core/525 mem  16GB DDR4 2666 mhz Crucial Ballistix  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
SandDisk Ultra Plus 128GB X2 Raid 0 / seagate 1... EK MX Supremacy waterblock / 2 x Swiftech Komod... Alphacool Monsta Rads 360/240. Windows 10 pro 64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4k Monitor Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard EVGA G2 1600 Watts PSU Rosewill Black Hawk Ultra 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Gaming mouse The Arrow TV Series Mouse Pad Skully Candy PLYR 2 Headsets 
  hide details  
Reply
GAMEZ PC BOX
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X BioStar X370 GT7 2 XFX FURY X Crossfire @ 1070 core/525 mem  16GB DDR4 2666 mhz Crucial Ballistix  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
SandDisk Ultra Plus 128GB X2 Raid 0 / seagate 1... EK MX Supremacy waterblock / 2 x Swiftech Komod... Alphacool Monsta Rads 360/240. Windows 10 pro 64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4k Monitor Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard EVGA G2 1600 Watts PSU Rosewill Black Hawk Ultra 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Gaming mouse The Arrow TV Series Mouse Pad Skully Candy PLYR 2 Headsets 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller89 View Post

Ye, i was thinking 290 to but i am not sure what brand i should go for.

get the sapphire r9 290 tri-x . the best cooling solution for Hawaii aka R9 290 series according to reviews . also tomshardware explains why sapphire tri-x is the best. the contact surface for other cards is not optimal. sapphire has a flat base instead of heatpipes which works better for the Hawaii chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290x-case-performance,3710-2.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7601/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-review-our-first-custom-cooled-290/4

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Radeon-R9-290X-Tri-X-4GB-Graphics-Card-Review/Clock-Speeds-Cooling-a
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaican voodoo View Post

the 290 is a bit faster than a gtx 780 how ever the price is kinda high!!....i have asus 290 with a waterblock it;s clock @ 1160 core and 1360 mem it playing all my games high to ultra @ 2560x1080 the gtx780 is also a great option if want high overclocks...290 is great card for gaming not just for mining lol some people really need to chill out with
only for mining junk...thumb.gif

I have 3 290 but based on reviews the 780 oc higher and is a bit faster. At $399 the 290 was the better deal. At $500-530+ for a 290 so I'd get a 780 for gaming only. And a 290 for gaming and mining since a 780 doesn't mine nearly as well.
post #10 of 13
Sapphire R9 290
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 290 or 290x