Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Making the switch from AMD to Intel. Worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Making the switch from AMD to Intel. Worth it? - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dGramma View Post

I know I might be in a biased place asking this question but I have a FX-6300 right now and I want to move to the 4770k. Is this truly worth the cost? I game a lot, which I know won't really make a difference but I also do video editing, mostly my own videos, which I believe I would notice the benefit of HT. But is it truly worth it??

I went from a crosshair v --1090t to a z77--3570k,,the intel is quite a snappy chip,,i also have a 6300--m5a97 HTPC,,,going from one chip to the other on a daily basis,,the intel wins,,,
strix Z270E
(18 items)
 
HAF 922
(14 items)
 
902
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K strix Z270E asus gtx970 dcII 4gb 16gb gskill ripjaws 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
seagate sata 1 tb samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd lg blueray corsair H105 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
windows 10 home  asus 27inch 1080p  acer 24 inch 1080p acer 24 inch 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G110 evga supernova G2 750watt fractual design define XL R2 mx518 
Audio
sony wireless,,,headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 6300 asus m5a99X evo asus gtx 670 2gb  8gb 1600mhz gskill ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
corsair 120gb ssd WD 1 tb 7200rpm lg blueray H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 home premium 50 inch 3d plasma 1080p,,smart tv logitech wireless  corsair tx 750 watt 
CaseAudio
coolermaster 922 denon 7.1,home theatre 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd 965x4 asus,m4n72-e asus gtx 570 1.25gb 8gb 800 gskill ddr2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
samsung 840 evo lg cheap zalman something cpu cooler??,,,works pretty good lg 22 inch 
PowerCase
coolermaster 850 antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
strix Z270E
(18 items)
 
HAF 922
(14 items)
 
902
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K strix Z270E asus gtx970 dcII 4gb 16gb gskill ripjaws 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
seagate sata 1 tb samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd lg blueray corsair H105 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
windows 10 home  asus 27inch 1080p  acer 24 inch 1080p acer 24 inch 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G110 evga supernova G2 750watt fractual design define XL R2 mx518 
Audio
sony wireless,,,headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 6300 asus m5a99X evo asus gtx 670 2gb  8gb 1600mhz gskill ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
corsair 120gb ssd WD 1 tb 7200rpm lg blueray H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 home premium 50 inch 3d plasma 1080p,,smart tv logitech wireless  corsair tx 750 watt 
CaseAudio
coolermaster 922 denon 7.1,home theatre 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd 965x4 asus,m4n72-e asus gtx 570 1.25gb 8gb 800 gskill ddr2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
samsung 840 evo lg cheap zalman something cpu cooler??,,,works pretty good lg 22 inch 
PowerCase
coolermaster 850 antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

Any links to such reviews or these statistics? smile.gif or just magical numbers?
Most people don't hit 4.8GHz on a 4770k, and you will never be able to hit 4.8GHz on air unless you have the golden chip. People are hitting temp walls at 4.5GHz

I would love to see some form of legitimate benchmark where an i7 4770k performs 60% better than a FX8350 thumb.gif

( problem I have is every thing I search for 4770k vs fx 8350 I can't find these 20-60% performance increases )

examples:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-AMD-FX-8350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qvsL8YRUCw

I wasn't talking about air cooled overclocking. I as talking general max clocks. You'd need a bloody golden FX-8350 to hit 5.0 GHz on air.

Yes finding strait up FX-8350 vs 4770k is hard so you have to look at Fx8350 vs 3770k benches and then account for the 4770k's additional performance (~10%)

Granted that's not the most accurate way to do it but then again noting ever is as performance differences vary depending on what benches you look at. Admittedly 60% is closer to the worst case scenario and there are cases where the single thread difference can go down to the 30% region.

You can also find a lot out by just googleing up individual benches like what does an stock FX-8350 score in catzilla's CPU test and then compare that what an stock 4770k scores. But that would take forever to do just for this post so here are some results.

Single threaded game


Poorly threaded games









Additional lists of benchmark results

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/451/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html
http://versus.com/en/intel-core-i7-4770k-vs-amd-fx-8350-black-edition#intel-core-i7-4770k
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I wasn't talking about air cooled overclocking. I as talking general max clocks. You'd need a bloody golden FX-8350 to hit 5.0 GHz on air.

Yes finding strait up FX-8350 vs 4770k is hard so you have to look at Fx8350 vs 3770k benches and then account for the 4770k's additional performance (~10%)

Granted that's not the most accurate way to do it but then again noting ever is as performance differences vary depending on what benches you look at. Admittedly 60% is closer to the worst case scenario and there are cases where the single thread difference can go down to the 30% region.

You can also find a lot out by just googleing up individual benches like what does an stock FX-8350 score in catzilla's CPU test and then compare that what an stock 4770k scores. But that would take forever to do just for this post so here are some results.

Single threaded game


Poorly threaded games









Additional lists of benchmark results

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/451/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html
http://versus.com/en/intel-core-i7-4770k-vs-amd-fx-8350-black-edition#intel-core-i7-4770k
You didn't see the sarcasm biggrin.gif
Isn't haswell more of a ~5% upgrade to 3770k IF THAT?
Also, yes I did some searching, there comes up with more closer benchmarks of 8350 pulling in relatively close to i7 3770k than there is anything 30-60%

To be fair, all the reviews will give different results, we never know what to account for or why, nor should we trust them all. Some better than others.
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

You didn't see the sarcasm biggrin.gif
Isn't haswell more of a ~5% upgrade to 3770k IF THAT?
Also, yes I did some searching, there comes up with more closer benchmarks of 8350 pulling in relatively close to i7 3770k than there is anything 30-60%

To be fair, all the reviews will give different results, we never know what to account for or why, nor should we trust them all. Some better than others.

In all fairness you mentioned a neat review that showed stats you backed. You can't find the review. If it was as close as you say I'd think you'd find something that supposrted your argument. On the other hand you can find countless comparisons in which the Intel blows the AMD out of the water.

Now as to an answer for the OP. I had an all AMD system before I recently upgraded. Had a 1055T @ 4.0 and a X4 975 @ 4.2 and neither one of those comes close to my 4770k even stock let alone at an easy 4.2. I felt the upgrade was unnecessary at the time but got that killer deal at MC and I'm happy I chose to upgrade. I was always AMD in the past, but now Intel mobos are in the same price range as a good AMD board and with Haswell it doesn't really matter what board you get if you just want a moderate OC as the only thing holding you back is heat generally. If you have the cash go Intel. I hate to say it as I was a huge AMD fan, but they aren't competing right now.

I know I wasn't comparing it to the 8350, but the X4 and 1055T are very comparable to what you have now. IMHO if you have the cash go Intel. If you don't then stick with what you have and save to go Intel in the future.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post

In all fairness you mentioned a neat review that showed stats you backed. You can't find the review. If it was as close as you say I'd think you'd find something that supposrted your argument. On the other hand you can find countless comparisons in which the Intel blows the AMD out of the water.

Now as to an answer for the OP. I had an all AMD system before I recently upgraded. Had a 1055T @ 4.0 and a X4 975 @ 4.2 and neither one of those comes close to my 4770k even stock let alone at an easy 4.2. I felt the upgrade was unnecessary at the time but got that killer deal at MC and I'm happy I chose to upgrade. I was always AMD in the past, but now Intel mobos are in the same price range as a good AMD board and with Haswell it doesn't really matter what board you get if you just want a moderate OC as the only thing holding you back is heat generally. If you have the cash go Intel. I hate to say it as I was a huge AMD fan, but they aren't competing right now.

I know I wasn't comparing it to the 8350, but the X4 and 1055T are very comparable to what you have now. IMHO if you have the cash go Intel. If you don't then stick with what you have and save to go Intel in the future.

In all fairness that is your subjective opinion in which I am sure I have helped more people and provided more statistical fact to any argument I have made on this forum smile.gif Much much more than you.

However, feel free to use a not 60% "blowout of the water" images by another user and feel free to blindly post that intel blows amd out of the water. The worst thing is regurgitated rumors that people try to pass on as facts biggrin.gif

Here is one video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

There is many more. You missed the whole rational thinking and common sense logic where one review says its 10% better and another review negates that.
Please do yourself a favor and post your opinion in a PM, don't go offtopic and post your opinion off your personal view of a situation with 0% fact to insult me when I am posting to motivate the OP to do the research. We need less people buying intel chips because people post "INTEL BLOWS AMD OUT OF THE WATER" and more people buying intel chips because they know the true difference of the actual chips.
Edited by INCREDIBLEHULK - 1/10/14 at 11:29pm
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

In all fairness that is your subjective opinion in which I am sure I have helped more people and provided more statistical fact to any argument I have made on this forum smile.gif Much much more than you.

However, feel free to use a not 60% "blowout of the water" images by another user and feel free to blindly post that intel blows amd out of the water. The worst thing is regurgitated rumors that people try to pass on as facts biggrin.gif

I'm not talking about his stats or 60%. Let me clarify. The Intel will always beat the AMD. In some games it will be close, in some it won't. Your post count and rep means nothing to me in this case. I respect it, but I'm not just spewing rumors. I'm going by my personal experience. I'll look through my 3dmark result history and see if I have any results with the same setup besides the processor. But IMHO, from my experiences the Intel blows AMD out of the water in gaming performance. And I don't see any statistical facts you provided in this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Making the switch from AMD to Intel. Worth it?