Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › 2500k and 7950 on 120radiator?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2500k and 7950 on 120radiator? - Page 2

post #11 of 18
I don't see why not, it may be better then air altogether and higher then the average water cooled build. Try it out and report to us. Real world results is always favored! Keep us updated with temps including your ambient. thumb.gif
#phase02
(24 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5820k Asus X99M-WS Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 Crucial M4 256GB SSD Toshiba 4TB HDD Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Single 5.25" bay Reservoir Alphacool XT45 180mm Radiator Alphacool UT60 120mm Radiator EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block Silverstone AP182 Air Penetrator 180mm Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 Windows 10 PRO 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB2874Q 4K  Cooler Master Quickfire XTi Seasonic SS-1200XPS3 1200 Watt Platinum Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Cooler Master Reaper Steel Series QCK+ Large Denon AVR Surround Receiever Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
#phase02
(24 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5820k Asus X99M-WS Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 Crucial M4 256GB SSD Toshiba 4TB HDD Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Single 5.25" bay Reservoir Alphacool XT45 180mm Radiator Alphacool UT60 120mm Radiator EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block Silverstone AP182 Air Penetrator 180mm Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 Windows 10 PRO 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB2874Q 4K  Cooler Master Quickfire XTi Seasonic SS-1200XPS3 1200 Watt Platinum Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Cooler Master Reaper Steel Series QCK+ Large Denon AVR Surround Receiever Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

General rules of thumb are mostly nonsense. How does a 77 watt CPU and 150-175 watt GPU compare to say a 2011 socket 130 watt CPU + 250-300 watt GPU? Not very samey at all.

Just do the math. 77 watt CPU, say 175 watt GPU at worst; even though he has said he is undervolting.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7950_Twin_Frozr_III/24.html
So about 250? or the same as, or actually less than, a 780ti or 290X. With a single 1850RPM fan say about 90w for each 10C above ambient, or about 27-28C above ambient. All that assumes the very worst, which does not happen. The real water temp will be quite a bit lower.

If the water is +28C the GPU will be about +38C, in a 20C room that means about 58C

Sure its not ideal, but that is not what he asked.

Because what you are talking about is getting the same or worse temperatures than Air cooling.

Water cooling's purpose is not to match the same temperature you would get from air cooling. It is most beneficial to keep water as close to room temperature as possible (water itself, not the blocks).

Water temperature rises slower than air temperature, but a system like this is going to have the water temperature in the radiator stabilized at 70c+ is going to take a lot longer to cool down vs. an air based heat sink which take possibly a minute versus the 20 for the radiator temperatures to slowly drop. He also runs the risk of it not equalizing, where temperatures just stagnantly climb and don't quickly drop after the load is gone. Meaning his computer will go down.

Saying he can do this is ignorant to the basics of water cooling, and you shouldn't tell him he can simply do it because thats what he is asking. Also telling us "our general rules" are mostly nonsense, means you are relatively new to this.
Edited by RagingCain - 1/15/14 at 7:25am
Snowdevil
(16 items)
 
ASUS G750JM
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.186v)] [Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz] [Crucial MX100 256GB] [Phanteks PH-TC12DX] [Win 10.1 Pro] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)] [QNIX Evo II LED (2560x1440)] [WASD v2 Tenkeyless] [NZXT Hale90 v2 ] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[ThermalTake GT10 Snow Edition] [Razer Mamba - Chroma] [Razer Kabuto] [Razer Man O' War] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770HQ Intel HM87 Express Chipset Geforce GTX 860M 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD EVO DVD-RW Stock Windows 8.1 
Monitor
1920x1080 TN 
  hide details  
Reply
Snowdevil
(16 items)
 
ASUS G750JM
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.186v)] [Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz] [Crucial MX100 256GB] [Phanteks PH-TC12DX] [Win 10.1 Pro] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)] [QNIX Evo II LED (2560x1440)] [WASD v2 Tenkeyless] [NZXT Hale90 v2 ] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[ThermalTake GT10 Snow Edition] [Razer Mamba - Chroma] [Razer Kabuto] [Razer Man O' War] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770HQ Intel HM87 Express Chipset Geforce GTX 860M 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD EVO DVD-RW Stock Windows 8.1 
Monitor
1920x1080 TN 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

General rules of thumb are mostly nonsense. How does a 77 watt CPU and 150-175 watt GPU compare to say a 2011 socket 130 watt CPU + 250-300 watt GPU? Not very samey at all.

Just do the math. 77 watt CPU, say 175 watt GPU at worst; even though he has said he is undervolting.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7950_Twin_Frozr_III/24.html
So about 250? or the same as, or actually less than, a 780ti or 290X. With a single 1850RPM fan say about 90w for each 10C above ambient, or about 27-28C above ambient. All that assumes the very worst, which does not happen. The real water temp will be quite a bit lower.

If the water is +28C the GPU will be about +38C, in a 20C room that means about 58C

Sure its not ideal, but that is not what he asked.

the 2500k is -100mV undervolt, I think the undervolted 7950 should be about 130-150w.
so if the CPU is 77w + 150w = 227watt heat in worst case.

Using push pull 1200rpm fans will do the job?

I own 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon I believe they are 1150rpm, however seems like they are defective(bad noise at higher rpm) so I might instead use less static pressure fans with 1200rpm.
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
1200rpm fans wont do it. using a less than best fan for sure isnt going to do it. there is no point to cooking your hardware. its hard enough for people to cool a gpu and cpu with a 240. and you want to use this on an r9 290 which is a heat monster.
also telling us how far its undervolted doesnt tell us what it uses under load. you need actual voltages to determine heat output.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

the 2500k is -100mV undervolt, I think the undervolted 7950 should be about 130-150w.
so if the CPU is 77w + 150w = 227watt heat in worst case.

Using push pull 1200rpm fans will do the job?

I own 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon I believe they are 1150rpm, however seems like they are defective(bad noise at higher rpm) so I might instead use less static pressure fans with 1200rpm.
2500k is 95w by the way biggrin.gif
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

Because what you are talking about is getting the same or worse temperatures than Air cooling.

Water cooling's purpose is not to match the same temperature you would get from air cooling. It is most beneficial to keep water as close to room temperature as possible (water itself, not the blocks).

Water temperature rises slower than air temperature, but a system like this is going to have the water temperature in the radiator stabilized at 70c+ is going to take a lot longer to cool down vs. an air based heat sink which take possibly a minute versus the 20 for the radiator temperatures to slowly drop. He also runs the risk of it not equalizing, where temperatures just stagnantly climb and don't quickly drop after the load is gone. Meaning his computer will go down.

Saying he can do this is ignorant to the basics of water cooling, and you shouldn't tell him he can simply do it because thats what he is asking. Also telling us "our general rules" are mostly nonsense, means you are relatively new to this.

The OP isn't asking for your opinion on the purpose of water cooling. Where do you get 70C+ water temperatures?

Temperatures that just keep climbing huhh? Let me guess, the radiator becomes 'saturated' with heat and can't get rid of it all. There is no such thing matey. If your knowledge extended past what people say on the internet and general rules you might actually have something useful to contribute.

General rules are nonsense, if you weren't a beginner you might understand that. '120mm for each block plus one more' ... so that means a system with a low wattage GPU, low wattage CPU, Ram Block, and Motherboard block is pretty much the same as a 2011 CPU system and tripple 290X's. Very helpful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

the 2500k is -100mV undervolt, I think the undervolted 7950 should be about 130-150w.
so if the CPU is 77w + 150w = 227watt heat in worst case.

Using push pull 1200rpm fans will do the job?

I own 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon I believe they are 1150rpm, however seems like they are defective(bad noise at higher rpm) so I might instead use less static pressure fans with 1200rpm.

Its pretty much impossible to have;
a, small size
b, low noise
c, low temperatures

you always have to choose 2. Using fans that low speed would be combining small size with low noise ... meaning high temperatures.

This is a stock speed R9 290X being cooled by a single 140mm rad and a single 140mm 1500 RPM fan.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15800544&postcount=24

How your system compares to that will depend on what impact the undervolting has and what the system is used for. The undervolting sounds like a mining system? If so that means higher than average load. Really the only way you will know is to try it. A 120mm will need higher RPM's to compare to a 140mm though.
Edited by Jakusonfire - 1/15/14 at 4:11pm
Kusanagi
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 780 SC Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB X2 EK Supremacy Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro Aqua Computer D5 USB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer MPS 400 flow meter EK-CoolStream PE 360 EK-Coolstream PE 240 Noiseblocker Eloop B12-PS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Vardar F2 EK-FC Titan Acetal & Nickel EK-RAM Monarch X4 Clean CSQ - Acetal+Nickel EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit Samsung S27A750d LG E2290V-SN Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D 
  hide details  
Reply
Kusanagi
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 780 SC Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB X2 EK Supremacy Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro Aqua Computer D5 USB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer MPS 400 flow meter EK-CoolStream PE 360 EK-Coolstream PE 240 Noiseblocker Eloop B12-PS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Vardar F2 EK-FC Titan Acetal & Nickel EK-RAM Monarch X4 Clean CSQ - Acetal+Nickel EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit Samsung S27A750d LG E2290V-SN Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

The OP isn't asking for your opinion on the purpose of water cooling. Where do you get 70C+ water temperatures?

Temperatures that just keep climbing huhh? Let me guess, the radiator becomes 'saturated' with heat and can't get rid of it all. There is no such thing matey. If your knowledge extended past what people say on the internet and general rules you might actually have something useful to contribute.

General rules are nonsense, if you weren't a beginner you might understand that. '120mm for each block plus one more' ... so that means a system with a low wattage GPU, low wattage CPU, Ram Block, and Motherboard block is pretty much the same as a 2011 CPU system and tripple 290X's. Very helpful.
Its pretty much impossible to have;
a, small size
b, low noise
c, low temperatures

you always have to choose 2. Using fans that low speed would be combining small size with low noise ... meaning high temperatures.

This is a stock speed R9 290X being cooled by a single 140mm rad and a single 140mm 1500 RPM fan.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15800544&postcount=24

How your system compares to that will depend on what impact the undervolting has and what the system is used for. The undervolting sounds like a mining system? If so that means higher than average load. Really the only way you will know is to try it. A 120mm will need higher RPM's to compare to a 140mm though.

but wouldnt 2x 120mm 1200rpm fans be more effective vs 140mm radiator with 1 1500rpm fan?
Maybe I'll just watercool the GPU, I think the 1ghz 290x is almost twice the TDP compared to undervolted 7950.

the easy but costy way would be to get a big radiator biggrin.gif
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

but wouldnt 2x 120mm 1200rpm fans be more effective vs 140mm radiator with 1 1500rpm fan?
Maybe I'll just watercool the GPU, I think the 1ghz 290x is almost twice the TDP compared to undervolted 7950.

the easy but costy way would be to get a big radiator biggrin.gif

It depends on the density of the radiator. If it makes you feel better I plan on a fully watercooled 4770K +GTX780 or R9 290 in an SG05 on a single 120mm high density radiator with push/pull Gentle Typhoon AP29 3000RPM fans. LINK

thumb.gif
Edited by hyp36rmax - 1/15/14 at 8:20pm
#phase02
(24 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5820k Asus X99M-WS Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 Crucial M4 256GB SSD Toshiba 4TB HDD Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Single 5.25" bay Reservoir Alphacool XT45 180mm Radiator Alphacool UT60 120mm Radiator EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block Silverstone AP182 Air Penetrator 180mm Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 Windows 10 PRO 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB2874Q 4K  Cooler Master Quickfire XTi Seasonic SS-1200XPS3 1200 Watt Platinum Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Cooler Master Reaper Steel Series QCK+ Large Denon AVR Surround Receiever Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
#phase02
(24 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5820k Asus X99M-WS Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 Crucial M4 256GB SSD Toshiba 4TB HDD Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Single 5.25" bay Reservoir Alphacool XT45 180mm Radiator Alphacool UT60 120mm Radiator EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block Silverstone AP182 Air Penetrator 180mm Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 Windows 10 PRO 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB2874Q 4K  Cooler Master Quickfire XTi Seasonic SS-1200XPS3 1200 Watt Platinum Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Cooler Master Reaper Steel Series QCK+ Large Denon AVR Surround Receiever Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › 2500k and 7950 on 120radiator?