Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Best fans for Fractal Design Define R4?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best fans for Fractal Design Define R4? - Page 2

post #11 of 16
I've setup 4 Define cases and helped other do more that that. Always using PWM fans with CPU fan header PWM control, and sometimes GPU fan header PWM signal. Others have done the same in other cases and I don't know of anyone is isn't pleased with this kind of cooling setup.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD View Post

This thread has a ton of good info:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1207625/positive-or-negative-pressure-help-me-please/0_50

I personally go with positive.

Ah, alright. Awesome, that helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I've setup 4 Define cases and helped other do more that that. Always using PWM fans with CPU fan header PWM control, and sometimes GPU fan header PWM signal. Others have done the same in other cases and I don't know of anyone is isn't pleased with this kind of cooling setup.

Thanks. I'll look into this. Definitely grabbing PWM fans.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD View Post

Each fan port you open on the case will allow more sound out -- so how important is silence vs. cooling for you? The R4 can be a very quiet box if you leave it closed.

Also, do you have a windowed panel or the solid panel with a fan spot?

I tried pretty much every fan configuration in my R4 -- adding a second intake in the front isn't much use to temps and I'd only do that if you had a big array of drives to cool. Opening up the top ports for more intake doesn't help much unless your CPU cooler needs more cool air.

The biggest drop for GPU temps is if you have a solid panel and open up the port that blows directly from the panel to the GPU.

So true and i illiterate that on here so often - i buitt a sytem with this case and blocked of the side panel, fan not needed due to a i3 chip only.

But and a big but - if i had to use a case with top, bottom and side vents, i would use more fans but set at low rpms to help eliminate noise.

look at my set up - old school, closed case, air from front, sucked out the back . hard to hear sometimes if my computer is running biggrin.gif
Edited by ladcrooks - 1/16/14 at 5:50am
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
So I ordered a few fans and I was thinking, would two front intakes, side intake, and a rear exhaust be a good idea for airflow? Or would having as Doyll said: Bottom intake, front, and side intake with rear and top exhaust work? I know each case is different and I know I'll probably have to test each configuration to see how well it works. I'm just trying to figure out what's better in the long run for cooling.
post #15 of 16
His plan is 5 fans and yours is 4 so not a completely fair comparison. Both would work, depends what you want to spend. Its also super easy to experiment in this case so if you get 4 or 5 fans you can move them around to see what works better for you. That will depend on whether you have the hard drive cages still in, whether your GPU exhausts into the case or out, etc.
The Mullet
(14 items)
 
Fractal Design R4
(3 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930k @ 5 GHz Asus P9x79 Pro Asus DC2 GTX 780 x3 SLI 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (RAID0) Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD (x2) OS X 10.9 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC PA322UHD, NEC P242W x2, NEC EA294WMi IBM Model M SSK Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs MH10 
MouseAudio
SteelSeries Sensei Raw Audeze LCD-XC 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mullet
(14 items)
 
Fractal Design R4
(3 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930k @ 5 GHz Asus P9x79 Pro Asus DC2 GTX 780 x3 SLI 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (RAID0) Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD (x2) OS X 10.9 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC PA322UHD, NEC P242W x2, NEC EA294WMi IBM Model M SSK Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs MH10 
MouseAudio
SteelSeries Sensei Raw Audeze LCD-XC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

My suggestion is all PWM cooler or radiator fans. Use 2x front & 1x bottom intake with 1x back & 1x ttop back vent open. Control them all with PWM signal as explained in sig link. Raise case 30-40mm with taller feet or a castor base (I prefer castor bases).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookakiba View Post

So I ordered a few fans and I was thinking, would two front intakes, side intake, and a rear exhaust be a good idea for airflow? Or would having as Doyll said: Bottom intake, front, and side intake with rear and top exhaust work? I know each case is different and I know I'll probably have to test each configuration to see how well it works. I'm just trying to figure out what's better in the long run for cooling.
You misunderstood.
2x front intake
1x bottom intake
1x rear exhaust
top back vent open.. no fan.
top front closed
side vent optional; test closed, intake & exhaust and see

I also remove unused PCI slot covers for better front to back airflow..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD View Post

His plan is 5 fans and yours is 4 so not a completely fair comparison. Both would work, depends what you want to spend. Its also super easy to experiment in this case so if you get 4 or 5 fans you can move them around to see what works better for you. That will depend on whether you have the hard drive cages still in, whether your GPU exhausts into the case or out, etc.
Mine is 3x intake 140mm PWM fans controlled by CPU fan header PWM signal. CPU cooler is ducted out back. Bottom, front and back grills removed, bottom front filter grills. PWM control of case fans means when CPU fans speed up using more are case fans speed up and supply more air. PWM control can also be supplied by video card PWM fan header to fans supplying air to video card. wink.gif


Bit-tech tested a Define R3 with 0x to 7x fans. Results are interesting. Too bad they didn't have temperature sensors positions at different locations in case.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/2
Edited by doyll - 1/16/14 at 5:07am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Best fans for Fractal Design Define R4?