Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › PNY GeForce GTX 780 TIs hogging up all my ASRock Extreme 9/ac PCIe slots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PNY GeForce GTX 780 TIs hogging up all my ASRock Extreme 9/ac PCIe slots

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
This past December I decided to splurge $7,000 on a new desktop for myself starting with an ASRock Z87 Extreme 9/ac motherboard. I've since added two PNY GeForce GTX 780TI video cards. Unfortunately the PNY cards seem to hog up 3 of my PCIe bays which for me leaves me with no more space.

Next up I purchased two of the ARCTIC Accelero XTreme III VGA Coolers hoping that they'd both allow me to better cool these cards and hopefully be a little slimmer than the stock cooler.

Fast forward a couple hours later after finishing my first two aftermarket VGA Cooler installations I learned that unfortunately with the new cooler the cards are now even bigger!

So I'm just throwing this out there, has anyone ever tried one of these PCIe Extender devices? It would be really amazing if I could somehow stack these bad boys in an external case of their own without losing the PCIe x16 speeds.

I know this all seems crazy but these awesome video cards have kicked out my PCIe RAID Controller card that I was using as I'd like to use 14 SATA disks in this case while the motherboard only has 10 SATA ports.

Love to hear any advice or tips for how I can overcome this barrier...
post #2 of 21
Thread Starter 
I forgot to mention that I have a ThermalTake Level 10GT Case.

The solution that I currently have is to create my own liquid cooling system for my two GTX 780ti cards, running the two water tubes out of the case's three tubing holes where I will mount the radiator on the back of the case.
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdT View Post

I decided to splurge $7,000 on a new desktop for myself

za9o.jpg
T-980X
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cyberdyne Systems i7 980X Hexa Core @ 4.2Ghz Asus Rampage III Extreme Reference VTek 7970 @ 1150/1700 Stock Bios Stable 12GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(2) WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD's Total 2TB Asus Multi DVD Drive Noctua DH-14 SKYNET Neural Net-Based Artificial Intelligence 
MonitorPowerCase
24" Asus VE248H 1920 x 1080 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200w HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
T-980X
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cyberdyne Systems i7 980X Hexa Core @ 4.2Ghz Asus Rampage III Extreme Reference VTek 7970 @ 1150/1700 Stock Bios Stable 12GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(2) WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD's Total 2TB Asus Multi DVD Drive Noctua DH-14 SKYNET Neural Net-Based Artificial Intelligence 
MonitorPowerCase
24" Asus VE248H 1920 x 1080 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200w HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosai View Post

za9o.jpg

I dropped a lot of coin on the system. I didn't list all of the parts in this post as I didn't want to confuse the question that I was raising. But here is my system:

Thermaltake Level 10GT Case
Corsair H100 Liquid Coolant System (for my CPU)
AeroCool V12XT LCD Fan Controller
4x 120mm Noctua NF-F12 Fans
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Fan

Z87 ASRock Extreme 9/ac Motherboard
i7-4770K CPU
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM

1x LG 16x BD-RW Drive
4x Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD in RAID 0 (OS Drive)
1x Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD
3x 4TB WD Red HDD
2x 3TB Seagate HDD

2x GTX 780TI in SLI
3x LG 27" LED Displays

Also in the process of building this system I also built a second Ubuntu based system for video transcoding inside a small Rosewill case that is a Z87 ASRock Mini-ITX board with an i7-4771 and 3GB RAM.
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdT View Post

I forgot to mention that I have a ThermalTake Level 10GT Case.

The solution that I currently have is to create my own liquid cooling system for my two GTX 780ti cards, running the two water tubes out of the case's three tubing holes where I will mount the radiator on the back of the case.

Your case is not ideal for watercooling, but if you decide to go with external radiators then you should be able to get all your space back. Not to mention better temps.

You should have a look around the watercooling threads. There are a few builds with external rad setups to give you an idea of what can be done.

Also a Level10 case with an external radiator seems kinda fitting, with that weird design and all tongue.gif
alt.sanity
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero AMD R9-290  AMD R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB OCZ Vector 256GB WD Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Green 3TB LG BluRay Lamptron FC5 V2 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Quad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Triple XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res  XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EK FC7970 CSQ Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
[7] Corsair SP120 Performance [6] Corsair AF120 Performance Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung S23A700D 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235 Corsair K90 CherryMX Red Seasonic Platinum 1000W Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Contagion White Razer Goliathus Extend CM Storm Sirus MDPC-X Sleeving 
  hide details  
Reply
alt.sanity
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero AMD R9-290  AMD R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB OCZ Vector 256GB WD Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Green 3TB LG BluRay Lamptron FC5 V2 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Quad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Triple XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res  XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EK FC7970 CSQ Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
[7] Corsair SP120 Performance [6] Corsair AF120 Performance Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung S23A700D 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235 Corsair K90 CherryMX Red Seasonic Platinum 1000W Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Contagion White Razer Goliathus Extend CM Storm Sirus MDPC-X Sleeving 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by altsanity View Post

Your case is not ideal for watercooling, but if you decide to go with external radiators then you should be able to get all your space back. Not to mention better temps.

You should have a look around the watercooling threads. There are a few builds with external rad setups to give you an idea of what can be done.

Also a Level10 case with an external radiator seems kinda fitting, with that weird design and all tongue.gif

What do you mean by the Thermaltake Level 10GT case not being ideal for watercooling? The top of the case allowed me to mount 4x 120mm fans for the Corsair H100 and the rear of the case has three holes specifically placed for running tubing:


I'm thinking of doing something somewhat similar to this picture of someone else's case:



As far as the design is concerned, yes it is weird I'll agree with that. But it allows me to have five hot-swap hard drives, easy to access & clean fan filters, a window to peek inside the case, and a nice carrying handle which I used just yesterday for the first time when I needed to bring the case to my friend's house.

Once I get the water cooling for these two GTX 780tis done I'm gonna make a video with my new GoPro to show it off smile.gif


And yeah, I now know that there isn't any simple turnkey liquid cooler system for the GTX 780ti so I guess this weekend I'll be reading the water cooler threads to plan out building my first custom liquid coolant system. When I first started this thread I was really hoping that someone knew of a very very slim after market fan for the GTX 780ti that would help reduce its size from 3PCI bay height down to the standard 2 PCI bay height.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdT View Post

I dropped a lot of coin on the system. I didn't list all of the parts in this post as I didn't want to confuse the question that I was raising. But here is my system:

Thermaltake Level 10GT Case
Corsair H100 Liquid Coolant System (for my CPU)
AeroCool V12XT LCD Fan Controller
4x 120mm Noctua NF-F12 Fans
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Fan

Z87 ASRock Extreme 9/ac Motherboard
i7-4770K CPU
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM

1x LG 16x BD-RW Drive
4x Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD in RAID 0 (OS Drive)
1x Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD
3x 4TB WD Red HDD
2x 3TB Seagate HDD

2x GTX 780TI in SLI
3x LG 27" LED Displays

Also in the process of building this system I also built a second Ubuntu based system for video transcoding inside a small Rosewill case that is a Z87 ASRock Mini-ITX board with an i7-4771 and 3GB RAM.

I was kinda just kidding m9, but now that I look over your parts... seems like you payed for a lot Disk space... both SSD and HDD.. kinda of waste imo, unless you plan on downloading the internet. I mean 5 HDDs with 18tb total? like WAT.

Not trying to angry you m9, just some constructive criticism.
T-980X
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cyberdyne Systems i7 980X Hexa Core @ 4.2Ghz Asus Rampage III Extreme Reference VTek 7970 @ 1150/1700 Stock Bios Stable 12GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(2) WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD's Total 2TB Asus Multi DVD Drive Noctua DH-14 SKYNET Neural Net-Based Artificial Intelligence 
MonitorPowerCase
24" Asus VE248H 1920 x 1080 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200w HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
T-980X
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cyberdyne Systems i7 980X Hexa Core @ 4.2Ghz Asus Rampage III Extreme Reference VTek 7970 @ 1150/1700 Stock Bios Stable 12GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(2) WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD's Total 2TB Asus Multi DVD Drive Noctua DH-14 SKYNET Neural Net-Based Artificial Intelligence 
MonitorPowerCase
24" Asus VE248H 1920 x 1080 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200w HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosai View Post

I was kinda just kidding m9, but now that I look over your parts... seems like you payed for a lot Disk space... both SSD and HDD.. kinda of waste imo, unless you plan on downloading the internet. I mean 5 HDDs with 18tb total? like WAT.

Not trying to angry you m9, just some constructive criticism.

LOL, I gotcha - just wasn't sure because you didn't really explain much smile.gif

And yeah one of my companies requires me to do a heavy amount of work with VirtualBox VMs that eat up space hence the abundance of SSDs

As far as downloading the internet... Well I pretty much did that a couple years ago when I worked in an office with gigabit internet. This link was only used for uploading data which meant that I was allowed to use it as much as I wanted (or could) for personal downloads. At the same time at that job, we were upgrading our servers in our data-center from 1TB to 2TB disks so I got (for free) a couple dozen WD Black 1TB disks that I filled up every other day with videos that I downloaded. And now I'm slowly transcoding all these fat avi/mkv videos over to x264/aac mp4 videos by using the collective CPU horsepower of my i7-4771, i7-4770k, & i7-2700k systems:)
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdT View Post

What do you mean by the Thermaltake Level 10GT case not being ideal for watercooling? The top of the case allowed me to mount 4x 120mm fans for the Corsair H100 and the rear of the case has three holes specifically placed for running tubing:

It just doesn't have space for long radiators internally. Externally you have quite a few options, and an block of external rad will look cool with the blocky shape of the case.
alt.sanity
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero AMD R9-290  AMD R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB OCZ Vector 256GB WD Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Green 3TB LG BluRay Lamptron FC5 V2 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Quad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Triple XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res  XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EK FC7970 CSQ Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
[7] Corsair SP120 Performance [6] Corsair AF120 Performance Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung S23A700D 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235 Corsair K90 CherryMX Red Seasonic Platinum 1000W Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Contagion White Razer Goliathus Extend CM Storm Sirus MDPC-X Sleeving 
  hide details  
Reply
alt.sanity
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero AMD R9-290  AMD R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB OCZ Vector 256GB WD Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Green 3TB LG BluRay Lamptron FC5 V2 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Quad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Triple XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res  XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EK FC7970 CSQ Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
[7] Corsair SP120 Performance [6] Corsair AF120 Performance Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung S23A700D 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235 Corsair K90 CherryMX Red Seasonic Platinum 1000W Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Contagion White Razer Goliathus Extend CM Storm Sirus MDPC-X Sleeving 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by altsanity View Post

It just doesn't have space for long radiators internally. Externally you have quite a few options, and an block of external rad will look cool with the blocky shape of the case.

Ahh, gotcha. Well i do have 4x 120mm fans for my Corsair H100 CPU Cooler in a push/pull configuration at the top of the case so I'm guessing by long internal radiators your thinking of something that I'm not aware of thats even longer than that.

My i7-2700k with the Corsair H110 Water Cooleer is in a Corsair 500R Case which is more ideal for water cooling systems than the Thermaltake Level 10GT Case as the Corsair 500R has a second place to mount radiators (2x 120mm & 2x 140mm) right on the side door as well. But unfortunately the Corsair 500R doesn't have the 5 hot swap bays that the Thermaltake Level 10GT has. So its kinda an equal trade-off right there between the two cases I guess.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out once I get the external radiator setup and working on the rear of the Thermaltake Level 10GT case smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › PNY GeForce GTX 780 TIs hogging up all my ASRock Extreme 9/ac PCIe slots