Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Help Noob with Xubuntu
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Noob with Xubuntu

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I am running a headless Xubuntu system for one of my miners and all of the sudden it hangs on startup. I connected a monitor to see what/where it was getting stuck and my lack of Linux is starting to show. Would anyone be able to help me out via skype? I feel like troubleshooting would take forever with my limited knowledge. Otherwise I can try to explain in better detail what the problem is.
post #2 of 7
What happens when it doesn't boot, do you get an error message of any kind? You would be surprised with what some of these guys can fix, so post some more specifics and I think someone should get you back up and running.
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestraw0039 View Post

What happens when it doesn't boot, do you get an error message of any kind? You would be surprised with what some of these guys can fix, so post some more specifics and I think someone should get you back up and running.

This. If you get an error, post it here in full.

Linux errors are much more specific than the errors you get in Windows which are stupidly vague, or just give you an error code that leads to "well it could be one of 10,000 possibilities that can have anything to do with 10 different subjects both hardware and software related". Generally a Linux error will tell you exactly what went wrong or what you messed up without having to go look up error codes ( often ).
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
It is hard for me to tell what is an error and what is not LOL, I appreciate the responses!

It was giving me this when I tried to start Xubuntu (I think it was in this order)

libudev: udev_new: missing = in '/etc/udev/udev.conf'[2], skip line
libudev: udev_new: missing = in '/etc/udev/udev.conf'[3], skip line
libudev: udev_new: missing = in '/etc/udev/udev.conf'[4], skip line

Then it would hang after this line

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1

I am trying to reinstall everything on a new USB key now, I kept the old one but since there is nothing on the OS other then CGminer I thought I could just start fresh incase it was over my head fixing the old USB drive.
Edited by blkdoutgsxr - 1/14/14 at 8:14pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdoutgsxr View Post

It is hard for me to tell what is an error and what is not LOL, I appreciate the responses!

It was giving me this when I tried to start Xubuntu (I think it was in this order)

libudev: udev_new: missing = in '/etc/udev/udev.conf'[2], skip line
libudev: udev_new: missing = in '/etc/udev/udev.conf'[3], skip line
libudev: udev_new: missing = in '/etc/udev/udev.conf'[4], skip line

Then it would hang after this line

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1

I am trying to reinstall everything on a new USB key now, I kept the old one but since there is nothing on the OS other then CGminer I thought I could just start fresh incase it was over my head fixing the old USB drive.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a udev_new is trying to read the config file /etc/dev/udev.conf, which looks like it got messed up. You probably could get to a terminal by hitting CTL ALT F1. If you could you could try to fix the config file, but looks like you are taking an easier route and just reinstalling smile.gif.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestraw0039 View Post

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a udev_new is trying to read the config file /etc/dev/udev.conf, which looks like it got messed up. You probably could get to a terminal by hitting CTL ALT F1. If you could you could try to fix the config file, but looks like you are taking an easier route and just reinstalling smile.gif.
There might be an issue there as well, but I'm more inclined to believe that the existing USB key he's using is dying since fsck is hanging.

USB keys aren't really great for booting any OS for any length of time (they often have the cheapest, nastiest flash chips) so anyone booting an OS off one would either need to buy a more expensive model which has wea levelling on (just like SSDs do) or set the root file system to read only and shove all the logs to ramdisk to minimize the number or writes.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

There might be an issue there as well, but I'm more inclined to believe that the existing USB key he's using is dying since fsck is hanging.

USB keys aren't really great for booting any OS for any length of time (they often have the cheapest, nastiest flash chips) so anyone booting an OS off one would either need to buy a more expensive model which has wea levelling on (just like SSDs do) or set the root file system to read only and shove all the logs to ramdisk to minimize the number or writes.

I reinstalled on another USB drive, I may move all of my rigs over to HDDs eventually but I was trying to save cost because there will be nothing but CGminer on the drive with it. Thank you everyone for the help! Linux/Xubuntu is far over my head as far as troubleshooting frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Help Noob with Xubuntu