Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Page 35

post #341 of 506
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wort View Post

What way did you guys choose when installing the cooler on the cpu? I've read that turning the cooler upside down then placing motherboard on top of the cooler is the best solution. How did you do it? (I'm not looking for guides, since I already installed mine months ago, I'm just curious biggrin.gif)

Also, has anyone tested how much of a difference does fan speed make? I was running it on Silent mode but my 4670k @4.2 kept hitting 75°C while playing games, currently have it on standard mode but I'm a bit bothered by fan noise.

I did it right in the case. If you actually follow the instructions (which even most reviewers didn't), it is actually a very simple install.
post #342 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

I did it right in the case. If you actually follow the instructions (which even most reviewers didn't), it is actually a very simple install.
Is that possibly because most of these reviewers think they know all there is to know and actually spending time reading instructions and published information about a product before testing is a waste of their time?

We can also add how many of them think testing in their own system gives us 'real world' test comparisons between coolers .. when the fact is none of us have systems identical to theirs .. and most of our systems are very different .. making their 'real world' only the one they live in. These are the reviewers who think testing in their cased systems compares cooler performance .. when in fact it only shows us how well their system performs with different coolers, not how well the coolers actually perform against each other.

Cases in point are Silverstone HE01, Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme and Sivler Arrow IB-E Extreme with fan moving almost twice what other top tier cooler do but in these 'real world' test enviroments are forced to use their own heated exhaust when running at full speed so they perform the same at full speed as at 1300rpm because their intake air gets progressively hotter the higher their rpm goes above that speed. But when tested based on cooler intake air temp they give 6-9c better CPU temps.
post #343 of 506
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Is that possibly because most of these reviewers think they know all there is to know and actually spending time reading instructions and published information about a product before testing is a waste of their time?

We can also add how many of them think testing in their own system gives us 'real world' test comparisons between coolers .. when the fact is none of us have systems identical to theirs .. and most of our systems are very different .. making their 'real world' only the one they live in. These are the reviewers who think testing in their cased systems compares cooler performance .. when in fact it only shows us how well their system performs with different coolers, not how well the coolers actually perform against each other.

Cases in point are Silverstone HE01, Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme and Sivler Arrow IB-E Extreme with fan moving almost twice what other top tier cooler do but in these 'real world' test enviroments are forced to use their own heated exhaust when running at full speed so they perform the same at full speed as at 1300rpm because their intake air gets progressively hotter the higher their rpm goes above that speed. But when tested based on cooler intake air temp they give 6-9c better CPU temps.

That, and the manual leaves something to be desired. The mounting kit is shared with another mfg that I have had quite a bit of experience with, so I did have familiarity going in. But.....almost every review of these mounted them incorrectly, then noted that the mounting kit was difficult. Well.....of course it's difficult if you use it completely incorrectly.
post #344 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

That, and the manual leaves something to be desired. The mounting kit is shared with another mfg that I have had quite a bit of experience with, so I did have familiarity going in. But.....almost every review of these mounted them incorrectly, then noted that the mounting kit was difficult. Well.....of course it's difficult if you use it completely incorrectly.
Maybe I was just lucky. I did notice the manual was not as well writen as it could be, but I understood the instructions and had no problems installing my first be quiet!.
Edited by doyll - 6/25/16 at 6:27am
post #345 of 506
I have a sabertooth x58 board with 6x2 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 dimms, and I as wondering if hey would work with the DRP3? As an added note, would it block the first pcie lane?
post #346 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by deductivemonkee View Post

I have a sabertooth x58 board with 6x2 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 dimms, and I as wondering if hey would work with the DRP3? As an added note, would it block the first pcie lane?
I don't know for sure how tall your Patriot Viper II is, but I think it is 36mm plus 3mm for RAM socket is 39mm from motherboard to top of RAM. Dark Rock Pro 3 has 45mm clearance from motherboard to bottom of cooler.

Here is Dark Rock Pro 3 dimensional drawing. Top of CPU / cooler base is 8mm above surface of motherboard.
post #347 of 506
The specs say that they are 44mm, so they won't fit?
post #348 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by deductivemonkee View Post

The specs say that they are 44mm, so they won't fit?
If your ram measures 44mm, add 3mm to this to determine how tall it stand above motherboard. It is 47mm

Dark Rock Pro 3 is 39mm from cooler base to bottom of fins. Add 8mm to this to determine the distance from motherboard to bottom of fins. It is 47mm

I know the 39mm measurement is correct. I've measured Dark Rock Pro 3 myself.

I do not have any of your RAM so I cannot verify how tall it is.

You can measure your RAM.

Then you can to make the decision if it will fit or not.


It really is a crime against humanity that there has been so much marketing hype pushing crazy tall 'heat spreaders' on so much of the RAM. DDR3 & DDR4 RAM does not generate enough heat to need any heat spreader at all, yet marketing hype has average users conned / duped into thinking it's the thing to buy. It is so bad that now 'normal' height RAM is being called 'low profile' RAM. doh.gif

'Normal' DDR3 & DDR4 RAM (PCB and chips) is 30mm.
RAM socket raises RAM 3mm above motherboard.
'Normal' RAM mounted on motherboard stands 33-35mm above motherboard.

'Normal' coolers rarely have any issues clearing 'normal' RAM. tongue.gif

Fact is I've never had a problem fitting a 'normal' cooler over 'normal' RAM.
post #349 of 506
While hemming and hawing over whether to buy this cooler I read all the reviews watched all the German and English reviews and they all complained about the install. After reading the instructions I couldn't disagree more the install is pretty simple at least on my 1150 board..

Either way this cooler completed my all bequiet all the time build and I couldn't be happier. Now they need to make some GPU coolers so I can be completely cohesive
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 590D 4K KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W bequiet! Silent Base 800 
MouseAudioAudio
Speedlink Omni VI  Sound Blaster Z  Bose Companion 2  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 590D 4K KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W bequiet! Silent Base 800 
MouseAudioAudio
Speedlink Omni VI  Sound Blaster Z  Bose Companion 2  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
post #350 of 506
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

While hemming and hawing over whether to buy this cooler I read all the reviews watched all the German and English reviews and they all complained about the install. After reading the instructions I couldn't disagree more the install is pretty simple at least on my 1150 board..

Either way this cooler completed my all bequiet all the time build and I couldn't be happier. Now they need to make some GPU coolers so I can be completely cohesive

That is because in 90% of the reviews the cooler was installed incorrectly. Great cooler, and the install isn't painful at all if you actually follow the instruction .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3