Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 290X Lightning Realase Date
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

290X Lightning Realase Date - Page 5

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiNTEL View Post

I agree with everything you said, however you must also agree that past a certain overclock, you will no longer have any benefit to performance. So not Always will you get more fps when overclocking, because past a certain amount, nothing else will happen, and often performance will decrease if you go too far.

Unless that is what you ment by improperly... Then nevermind. Lol
How so? Proper overclocking will always, always result in faster raw speeds, so long as temps are in check..

Higher clocked RAM will result in more data transfers per second, higher clocked CPU will result in more calculations per second, and higher clocked GPU will do the same.

The only way overclocking will not provide any benefit is if something is wrong; for example, throttling, improper overclocking, or and unstable OC.

Except of course, for ECC. This is when memory is OC'ed too much and results in errors and is downclocked automatically; of course this falls under an unstable OC.

I ran my 670 FTW at max stable clocks (1241MHz core) 24/7 and that was the highest performance possible with that card... Any higher and my PC would crash. With my 290, I can clock up to 1240 on +200mV while still seeing tangible performance gains, I can even make it to 1245 but I get artifacting although the performance is slightly higher.
Edited by chiknnwatrmln - 2/24/14 at 8:20pm
The White Knight
(28 items)
 
The Unnamed One
(17 items)
 
 
Reply
The White Knight
(28 items)
 
The Unnamed One
(17 items)
 
 
Reply
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiknnwatrmln View Post

How so? Proper overclocking will always, always result in faster raw speeds, so long as temps are in check..

Higher clocked RAM will result in more data transfers per second, higher clocked CPU will result in more calculations per second, and higher clocked GPU will do the same.

The only way overclocking will not provide any benefit is if something is wrong; for example, throttling, improper overclocking, or and unstable OC.

Except of course, for ECC. This is when memory is OC'ed too much and results in errors and is downclocked automatically; of course this falls under an unstable OC.
I may have been thinking wrong. Higher clocks will always receive higher performance. I wrote that comment and in my mind I was thinking voltages.

You are correct. Higher clocks means better performance.

I was got mixed up, when adding voltages, there is a certain point in which clocks will no longer increase, and you will receive no further benefit or ability to increase the clocks.

Oops:p
post #43 of 50
No worries, you are right in that there is a point where voltage won't help any more.

Too much voltage is not a good thing.

Any way, I'd love one of these Lightning's, I'm sure it'd perform well under water.
The White Knight
(28 items)
 
The Unnamed One
(17 items)
 
 
Reply
The White Knight
(28 items)
 
The Unnamed One
(17 items)
 
 
Reply
post #44 of 50
The Lightnings have always taken time to come out after the reference cards hit. They take their time working on the Lightnings and put a hell of a lot of work into them - Something that no doubt shows off when they are used and OCed. The engineers are great and are always looking for ways to improve the hardware, of which I know first hand - I went to Taipei a couple of years ago for a MSI OC workshop with people from around the world and we extreme OCed and then met with engineers and gave them feedback ( also a large roundtable about what we liked, disliked, how we would improve, and what we want ). To sum it up - it takes time but we all know it is worth it when we use the Lighntings
Review / Test Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel - 4670K ES, 4790K ES, 4790K AMD - A10 7800  Various MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
DDR3/4 kits / modules  Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch S... Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme DICE / LN2 / cascade 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Cooler Master TPC 812 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win7 Ultimate 64-bit HP ZR2740w 27" WQHD LED-backlit IPS Monitor wit... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MSI GK-601 mechanical / backlit Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Custom MSI Benchtable Lots of them - I have a problem! 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen DAC w/ Fiio E09K AMP & HiFiMAN ... Samson mic 
  hide details  
Reply
Review / Test Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel - 4670K ES, 4790K ES, 4790K AMD - A10 7800  Various MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
DDR3/4 kits / modules  Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch S... Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme DICE / LN2 / cascade 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Cooler Master TPC 812 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Win7 Ultimate 64-bit HP ZR2740w 27" WQHD LED-backlit IPS Monitor wit... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MSI GK-601 mechanical / backlit Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Custom MSI Benchtable Lots of them - I have a problem! 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen DAC w/ Fiio E09K AMP & HiFiMAN ... Samson mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiknnwatrmln View Post

Who told you that? It's entirely false.
Saw it in the Logan's review of 290x tri-x on youtube. Also heard that not always higher overclock means more fps in games (maybe in benches but not in actual games), at some point performance even starts to degrade.
p.s. i'm no expert in overclock at all, just said what i heard from the reviewers (:
p.p.s anyway i've ordered 2 sapphire 290x tri-x cards. need to complete my pc build, can't wait anymore
Edited by gogolXmogol - 2/25/14 at 3:16am
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogolXmogol View Post

Saw it in the Logan's review of 290x tri-x on youtube. Also heard that not always higher overclock means more fps in games (maybe in benches but not in actual games), at some point performance even starts to degrade.
p.s. i'm no expert in overclock at all, just said what i heard from the reviewers (:
p.p.s anyway i've ordered 2 sapphire 290x tri-x cards. need to complete my pc build, can't wait anymore

Fair enough, but for me I'm willing to wait.in the long run it will be worth it since i love to overclock to the absolute limit. seeing as how the Vapor-x might also come out, which has some insane cooling and an extra 4gb Vram.

so either vapor-x or the lightning, whichever is out first.
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k Sabertooth Z77 MSI 290X lightning 24gb ddr 1866 8-8-8-24 Crucial Ballistix elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Intel 330 SSD WD black caviar 500gb Seagate barrcuda Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46inch Samsung lcd Razer lycosa Antec Truepower quattro 1000 NZXT Phantom (White) 
MouseAudio
Razer deathadder Samsung 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k Sabertooth Z77 MSI 290X lightning 24gb ddr 1866 8-8-8-24 Crucial Ballistix elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Intel 330 SSD WD black caviar 500gb Seagate barrcuda Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46inch Samsung lcd Razer lycosa Antec Truepower quattro 1000 NZXT Phantom (White) 
MouseAudio
Razer deathadder Samsung 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post

Fair enough, but for me I'm willing to wait.in the long run it will be worth it since i love to overclock to the absolute limit. seeing as how the Vapor-x might also come out, which has some insane cooling and an extra 4gb Vram.

so either vapor-x or the lightning, whichever is out first.

thatll be a small limit if youre using the air coolers on these cards.
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat Eater View Post

The Lightnings have always taken time to come out after the reference cards hit. They take their time working on the Lightnings and put a hell of a lot of work into them - Something that no doubt shows off when they are used and OCed. The engineers are great and are always looking for ways to improve the hardware, of which I know first hand - I went to Taipei a couple of years ago for a MSI OC workshop with people from around the world and we extreme OCed and then met with engineers and gave them feedback ( also a large roundtable about what we liked, disliked, how we would improve, and what we want ). To sum it up - it takes time but we all know it is worth it when we use the Lighntings

I'd have to agree with that.

You can have a heavily modified card that comes out a while after release or a less heavily modified card that comes out relatively shortly after the main card's release.
Trooper Typhoon
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960X X99A Godlike MSI 1080 Ti Lightning MSI 1080 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Z 32 Gb Samsung 850 Pro Samsung SM843T 960 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2Tb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung SV843 960 GB LG WH14NS40 Cryorig R1 Ultimate 9x Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm on case 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 LG 27UD68 Ducky Legend with Vortex PBT Doubleshot Backlit... EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Proteus Asus Xonar Essence STX Lamptron Fanatic Fan Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
Trooper Typhoon
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960X X99A Godlike MSI 1080 Ti Lightning MSI 1080 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Z 32 Gb Samsung 850 Pro Samsung SM843T 960 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2Tb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung SV843 960 GB LG WH14NS40 Cryorig R1 Ultimate 9x Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm on case 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 LG 27UD68 Ducky Legend with Vortex PBT Doubleshot Backlit... EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Proteus Asus Xonar Essence STX Lamptron Fanatic Fan Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post

I'd have to agree with that.
You can have a heavily modified card that comes out a while after release or a less heavily modified card that comes out relatively shortly after the main card's release.
Guys, lets just be realistic. We have all seen the actual card on the CES in the first days of January 2014. Almost 2 month since then and you still think that they're working on it?! Well the actual PCB has been spotted back on Nov 30th, 2013... I just assume it's a giant marketing BS and money draw when the company first wants to distribute reference design cards, then reference with custom cooler and then custom pcb cards. Sales go on and on this way. Releasing great product from the start would not benefit their profits.
Edited by gogolXmogol - 2/28/14 at 8:01am
post #50 of 50
looks like it is close to official release. no information on the pricing or availability though
http://videocardz.com/49779/msi-launches-radeon-r9-290x-lightning

http://msi.com/product/vga/R9_290X_LIGHTNING.html
Edited by gogolXmogol - 3/5/14 at 12:29am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 290X Lightning Realase Date