Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Kaveri A10-7850K Overclock Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Kaveri A10-7850K Overclock Guide - Page 43

post #421 of 1332
Do these APU's run good on overclocked 1600mhz ram?

I have a extra set of Sammy's that will do CL10@2400mhz and wonder if that would be a good pairing with a 7700/7850 APU.
GrandPa's Gamer
(16 items)
 
Mini -ITX build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus 7 Hero PowerColor R9 290X LCS w/Factory EK Waterblock 16gb of G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb, 840 EVO 250gb, 840 Pro 1... 1 TB something.. Asus CD/DVD Drive Custom Water Loop cooling CPU and GPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 24" VG248QE 144hz, Asus 24" VE247H Razer Blackwidow Ultimate XFX Pro Black 850w PSU 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Black/Red Razer DeathAdder Turtle Beach PX21 headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel g3258 @ 4.2ghz  Asrock B85M-ITX XFX R7 250 4gb PNY 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840, 120gb SSD Samsung USB drive stock Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer CM Storm Devastator 300 watt COOLER MASTER Elite 110 
MouseAudio
CM Storm Devastator Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
GrandPa's Gamer
(16 items)
 
Mini -ITX build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus 7 Hero PowerColor R9 290X LCS w/Factory EK Waterblock 16gb of G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb, 840 EVO 250gb, 840 Pro 1... 1 TB something.. Asus CD/DVD Drive Custom Water Loop cooling CPU and GPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 24" VG248QE 144hz, Asus 24" VE247H Razer Blackwidow Ultimate XFX Pro Black 850w PSU 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Black/Red Razer DeathAdder Turtle Beach PX21 headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel g3258 @ 4.2ghz  Asrock B85M-ITX XFX R7 250 4gb PNY 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840, 120gb SSD Samsung USB drive stock Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer CM Storm Devastator 300 watt COOLER MASTER Elite 110 
MouseAudio
CM Storm Devastator Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #422 of 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post

Do these APU's run good on overclocked 1600mhz ram?

I have a extra set of Sammy's that will do CL10@2400mhz and wonder if that would be a good pairing with a 7700/7850 APU.

I'm running 2 sets of 2x4GB 1600 RAM that does CL10 2400. Even though they ended up being two different versions of the same exact product (new timings on one set), my 7850k had no problem with that, neither did my gigabyte ga-f2a88xm-d3h board. I had to mess with the timings a bit but just got all 4 sticks running today at 10-12-12-31 @ 1.67v (sticks are actually at 1.65v, but the GA board seems to undervolt the number by .18 on my board). Granted, I got lucky and only had to bump the tRFC up on one set, the other timings were the same for the XMP profile (which is what I copied and then manually applied).

Point is--if it CAN hit 2400, then it'll be good. I've heard of some Kaveri chips not working at 2400, which is why it's officially at 2133. But in any situation, you should be able to use the sticks, especially if it's just one dual channel set (or one quad-channel set). Make sure you bump up that NB though. 2000 worked for me and has worked for most/many. Default (1800) booted into windows and ran every program well, but failed in a few stress tests and a couple BSOD. I wouldn't worry about timings as much, honestly. If I had to pick between loosening the timings or upping the voltage, I'd loosen the timings for these purposes (gaming/igpu optimization).
post #423 of 1332
On another note, I remember reading somewhere (either here or elsewhere, been searching to find it again) that an R7 260x, while it won't run in true dual graphics mode, can be used as a discreet GPU and have the 7850k's iGPU act as a stand-alone PhysX card... not sure if this was theory or practice, though. If anyone knows, that'd be awesome. I have a 260x laying around doin' nadda and want to make use of it.
post #424 of 1332
It's not just the R9 260X, but also the R9 290/X as well, as they are the only cards that currently support XDMA, and that is what is required for the bridgeless crossfire, allowing the cards to communicate via PCI lanes. This doesn't work fully yet but I have full faith that as HSA and hUMA matures as a "thing", that we will see APU and dGPU work as one unit through all aspects of computing. That is why a bridged card will never work with an APU, unless AMD retool's the way the cards can communicate, which honestly, between you, me, the wall, and people on here WAY smarter than I, they will probably figure that out as well, as the base for XDMA is there; ie the PCI bus.

We can see the 290/X work with the 7850K's iGPU currently even though you shouldn't, the benefits show in some tests.

an aside: If there is a company, or someone that has a huge heart, that could donate an R9 290 to a deployed member of the USN to the middle east for the purposes of testing this combo, I would be much obliged. Newegg and the likes want 15 arms and you're second born son between shipping to an FPO box, and just the markup.... There is NO WAY I will be paying $1,000.00 between the card and shipping, not for a card that should be going for $399.99...... All I want is a 290 for my birthday in April.... frown.giffrown.gif

I got my Gigabyte A88X board coming in soon, can't wait for that thing, so I can at a minimum test the A10-7850K and the board!
Little big shot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600K Asus Z170I Pro Gaming PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 525GB Corsair H55 Windows 10 Home Samsung 27" 1080p LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair RM550 Thermaltake Core V1 Razer Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Little big shot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600K Asus Z170I Pro Gaming PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 525GB Corsair H55 Windows 10 Home Samsung 27" 1080p LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair RM550 Thermaltake Core V1 Razer Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #425 of 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrims View Post

It's not just the R9 260X, but also the R9 290/X as well, as they are the only cards that currently support XDMA, and that is what is required for the bridgeless crossfire, allowing the cards to communicate via PCI lanes. This doesn't work fully yet but I have full faith that as HSA and hUMA matures as a "thing", that we will see APU and dGPU work as one unit through all aspects of computing. That is why a bridged card will never work with an APU, unless AMD retool's the way the cards can communicate, which honestly, between you, me, the wall, and people on here WAY smarter than I, they will probably figure that out as well, as the base for XDMA is there; ie the PCI bus.

We can see the 290/X work with the 7850K's iGPU currently even though you shouldn't, the benefits show in some tests.

an aside: If there is a company, or someone that has a huge heart, that could donate an R9 290 to a deployed member of the USN to the middle east for the purposes of testing this combo, I would be much obliged. Newegg and the likes want 15 arms and you're second born son between shipping to an FPO box, and just the markup.... There is NO WAY I will be paying $1,000.00 between the card and shipping, not for a card that should be going for $399.99...... All I want is a 290 for my birthday in April.... frown.giffrown.gif

I got my Gigabyte A88X board coming in soon, can't wait for that thing, so I can at a minimum test the A10-7850K and the board!

Thanks for the information! I did eventually find what I was looking for (same thing, essentially), but you did provide a great perspective on it. First off, wish I could help on the birthday gpu, I'd buy it for you if I could, be safe out there! Unfortunately, law school has charged me it's version of 15 arms and the like...ha...

Any idea about current use benefit of a 260x with the 7850k? I'm assuming your post is looking forward to what's to come, correct me if I'm wrong! Because if there is a use to them together with respect to the igpu, I'd like to fiddle with how OC'ing the igpu translates
post #426 of 1332
I have a question.
My 7700K will run at 4Ghz at 1.275volts (that's the minimum voltage I can set in bios) no problems while the thermal margin will not drop under 54"C. At 4.4Ghz at 1.425volts the thermal margin will go as low as 41"C. What it's the minimum thermal margin I can go? redface.gif
Cold hard cash.
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G4400 @ 3.3 Ghz (waiting for Kaby) MSI B150M Mortar Gainward GTX1060 Dual 3GB @ 1915/2005 Mhz 2 x 8GB HyperX Fury @ 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
ADATA SP120  Windows 10 Pro Benq GL2460 SuperFlower Silver Green FX500W  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master N200 Steel Series Rival 100 Ozone Ground Level XT HyperX Cloud II 
  hide details  
Reply
Cold hard cash.
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G4400 @ 3.3 Ghz (waiting for Kaby) MSI B150M Mortar Gainward GTX1060 Dual 3GB @ 1915/2005 Mhz 2 x 8GB HyperX Fury @ 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
ADATA SP120  Windows 10 Pro Benq GL2460 SuperFlower Silver Green FX500W  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master N200 Steel Series Rival 100 Ozone Ground Level XT HyperX Cloud II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #427 of 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecx View Post

I have a question.
My 7700K will run at 4Ghz at 1.275volts (that's the minimum voltage I can set in bios) no problems while the thermal margin will not drop under 54"C. At 4.4Ghz at 1.425volts the thermal margin will go as low as 41"C. What it's the minimum thermal margin I can go? redface.gif

Not to sound sarcastic, because I really am not...but wouldn't it be 0?

The Thermal Margin is AMD's variation of CPU's temperature until outside its operational limit, right? So you haven't tapped the chip out until it hits 0, technically... granted, I wouldn't like to be more than 10 or 15. Nor do I think you can hit a high enough OC on the cpu to warrant going down to that, seems to me like the chip has some headroom in the thermal margin, maybe for a revision? But I could be wrong--this is just from my own testing...
post #428 of 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecx View Post

I have a question.
My 7700K will run at 4Ghz at 1.275volts (that's the minimum voltage I can set in bios) no problems while the thermal margin will not drop under 54"C. At 4.4Ghz at 1.425volts the thermal margin will go as low as 41"C. What it's the minimum thermal margin I can go? redface.gif

"OFF"

Thermal margin is the top ceiling of a chip, once you pass it, it could cause damage to the silicon, causing it to fail. As far as minimal margin, the correct answer is above in quotes. You probably could go as low as 35C with a good quality custom loop.
Also, just an FYI, as it seems as though you may be a bit confused by the definition of Thermal Margin, as the number goes down, that means you are getting hotter on the chip. So 54C margin means you have 54C more to go before event horizon, where with 41C, you have 41C more to go.

I personally am an abuser of the thermal margin, so my poor Athlon X4 750K for example has been above and beyond the call of duty!
Little big shot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600K Asus Z170I Pro Gaming PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 525GB Corsair H55 Windows 10 Home Samsung 27" 1080p LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair RM550 Thermaltake Core V1 Razer Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Little big shot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600K Asus Z170I Pro Gaming PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 525GB Corsair H55 Windows 10 Home Samsung 27" 1080p LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair RM550 Thermaltake Core V1 Razer Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #429 of 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMamba View Post

Thanks for the information! I did eventually find what I was looking for (same thing, essentially), but you did provide a great perspective on it. First off, wish I could help on the birthday gpu, I'd buy it for you if I could, be safe out there! Unfortunately, law school has charged me it's version of 15 arms and the like...ha...

Any idea about current use benefit of a 260x with the 7850k? I'm assuming your post is looking forward to what's to come, correct me if I'm wrong! Because if there is a use to them together with respect to the igpu, I'd like to fiddle with how OC'ing the igpu translates

I would say get one now, hell they are cheap enough. There is a benefit with them to an extent, look at the other A10-7850K forum and you will see a guy that has 3 260X's in Xfire, and they also show a benefit with the iGPU. I am a believer that if more people jump on the boat with this new fangled tech, AMD will have more room to flex their barganing muscle with their HSA/hUMA partners, and possibly shape the landscape to come for ALL tech. It seems that Nvidia and Intel have been to resistant for too long to have a say now, and at a minimum, AMD has been a good steward of this initiative, making it a FREE, OPEN-SOURCE code. This may be the thing we have all been waiting for honestly, reliable Linux gaming on AMD solutions, and having the big titles port to Linux!!!!!
Little big shot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600K Asus Z170I Pro Gaming PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 525GB Corsair H55 Windows 10 Home Samsung 27" 1080p LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair RM550 Thermaltake Core V1 Razer Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Little big shot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600K Asus Z170I Pro Gaming PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 G Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 525GB Corsair H55 Windows 10 Home Samsung 27" 1080p LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair RM550 Thermaltake Core V1 Razer Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #430 of 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrims View Post

I would say get one now, hell they are cheap enough. There is a benefit with them to an extent, look at the other A10-7850K forum and you will see a guy that has 3 260X's in Xfire, and they also show a benefit with the iGPU. I am a believer that if more people jump on the boat with this new fangled tech, AMD will have more room to flex their barganing muscle with their HSA/hUMA partners, and possibly shape the landscape to come for ALL tech. It seems that Nvidia and Intel have been to resistant for too long to have a say now, and at a minimum, AMD has been a good steward of this initiative, making it a FREE, OPEN-SOURCE code. This may be the thing we have all been waiting for honestly, reliable Linux gaming on AMD solutions, and having the big titles port to Linux!!!!!

Oh, I have the 260x in as we speak =D decided to just throw it in there, but I disabled the igpu--gonna go look for that forum...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Kaveri A10-7850K Overclock Guide