Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › PowerColor PCS+ R9 290?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290? - Page 53

post #521 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borstinator View Post

Here's another buggy "Elpida".
I think my card has problems with the voltage controller or something else. Everytime I change the powertarget or voltage the card can't hold the clock. The card has also a voltage drop at the 12v line.(pic3)
I tried different Catalyst and BIOS Versions, including Raymonds Bios. There's no thermal problem or a psu problem (tried 2 different).
That's realy annoying. A good cooler, good ASIC, but no overclocking possibilities -.-

Here some pictures:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




14.3 will make your card throttle. use 13.12 WHQL and test again.

edit: just to be clear. when oc'ing without adding voltage and raising the PL . . . it is fine. But once you start adding voltage and adjusting the PL, the card will throttle using 14.3 Beta.
Edited by rdr09 - 4/9/14 at 7:41am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #522 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abundant Cores View Post

I have one of these on order. anyone have anything you think i might like to know about it?

If you can bear the fact that the card could be 5-7% slower than other cards with the same clock, then you have nothing to worry about

Such a shame as the cooler itself is pretty good
post #523 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borstinator View Post

Here's another buggy "Elpida".
I think my card has problems with the voltage controller or something else. Everytime I change the powertarget or voltage the card can't hold the clock. The card has also a voltage drop at the 12v line.(pic3)
I tried different Catalyst and BIOS Versions, including Raymonds Bios. There's no thermal problem or a psu problem (tried 2 different).
That's realy annoying. A good cooler, good ASIC, but no overclocking possibilities -.-

Here some pictures:





Could you also post your Firestrike and Valley benchmark score at default clock? Thank you:)
post #524 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derion View Post

If you can bear the fact that the card could be 5-7% slower than other cards with the same clock, then you have nothing to worry about

Such a shame as the cooler itself is pretty good
why should the card be 5-7% slower than other 290s? what are you talking about
post #525 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrClaw View Post

why should the card be 5-7% slower than other 290s? what are you talking about

The performance issue stated by daymond in previous posts, some slower cards score 5% less than others in firestrike at default clock (e.g. 104xx, 105xx vs. 111xx)

Not sure how the underperforming cards perform in other benchmarks or games though, may need more time to test it out.
post #526 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derion View Post

If you can bear the fact that the card could be 5-7% slower than other cards with the same clock, then you have nothing to worry about

Such a shame as the cooler itself is pretty good

Wait a minute guys, this http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65702-powercolor-r9-290x-pcs-4gb-review.html is the card that i'm getting, all be it the none X version of it.

The Asus version benchmarked along side it has the same core clock rate, clearly its similar to the PCS+, its faster than the 1040 Mhz Gigabyte one.
Edited by Abundant Cores - 4/9/14 at 9:06am
Odd Ball
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gigabyte WF3 OC GTX 970 Hyper-X Savage 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Samsung NZXT KRAKEN X31 Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS226 Logitech G110 XFX 750w Pro CM HAF 912+ 
MouseMouse Pad
Schakron Fireglider CMStorm 
  hide details  
Reply
Odd Ball
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gigabyte WF3 OC GTX 970 Hyper-X Savage 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Samsung NZXT KRAKEN X31 Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS226 Logitech G110 XFX 750w Pro CM HAF 912+ 
MouseMouse Pad
Schakron Fireglider CMStorm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #527 of 1176
Oh my bad, thought you are going to buy the non-x 290

So far it seems only Schussnik is experiencing performance issue of his 290X, which performs the same as his other 290
http://www.overclock.net/t/1462592/powercolor-pcs-r9-290/440#post_22044730
post #528 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derion View Post

Oh my bad, thought you are going to buy the non-x 290

So far it seems only Schussnik is experiencing performance issue of his 290X, which performs the same as his other 290
http://www.overclock.net/t/1462592/powercolor-pcs-r9-290/440#post_22044730

"all be it the none X version of it."

Anyway, that is odd, i know Elpida is slower than Hynix, but not by that much, 1%, 2 at worst.

I will report back when i have it, let you guys know how it does and what Memory is has.
Odd Ball
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gigabyte WF3 OC GTX 970 Hyper-X Savage 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Samsung NZXT KRAKEN X31 Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS226 Logitech G110 XFX 750w Pro CM HAF 912+ 
MouseMouse Pad
Schakron Fireglider CMStorm 
  hide details  
Reply
Odd Ball
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gigabyte WF3 OC GTX 970 Hyper-X Savage 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Samsung NZXT KRAKEN X31 Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS226 Logitech G110 XFX 750w Pro CM HAF 912+ 
MouseMouse Pad
Schakron Fireglider CMStorm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #529 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

14.3 will make your card throttle. use 13.12 WHQL and test again.

edit: just to be clear. when oc'ing without adding voltage and raising the PL . . . it is fine. But once you start adding voltage and adjusting the PL, the card will throttle using 14.3 Beta.


Thanks for the tip.
I reach 1100MHz, +100mV (~1.12v) with the 13.12er Catalayst. The clock was stable all the time. I also tried 1150MHz +150mV but the 12volt drops down to 11,2v and my pc crashed. I don't trust my psu anymore (Coolermaster CM620).

My Cpu can be another reason for the throttling. It's definitely the bottleneck ( X6 1055t @4GHz)


My Valley score:
post #530 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derion View Post

Oh my bad, thought you are going to buy the non-x 290

So far it seems only Schussnik is experiencing performance issue of his 290X, which performs the same as his other 290
http://www.overclock.net/t/1462592/powercolor-pcs-r9-290/440#post_22044730

I confirm, it was my 290X PCS+ which had performances problem (using Elpida memory). Powercolor offered to RMA the card as they acknoweldged something was wrong. As explained before I did not want to go through hte RMA process and just got a refund from the retailer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › PowerColor PCS+ R9 290?