Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASUS Maximus VI Formula Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS Maximus VI Formula Owners Club - Page 25

post #241 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post

Hey all! was looking through the posts in this thread and thought I would join in! I'm making the switch from AMD back to Intel (had a bad experience with my first Intel build) my phenom ii is getting dated so I figured it was time to move onto bigger and better things biggrin.gif so I guess I'll start with my parts list before I drop a few questions on you guys.


CPU-Intel Core i7 4770k

Mobo-Asus Maximus vi Formula

Ram-G-Skill Trident-X 8gb 2400mhz

PSU-Corsair professional series HX750

GPU-2x Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce SLI.

SSD-Intel 530 series 120gb

HDD-2x WD Black 1TB in RAID-0 (games)
-2x WD Green 2TB (storage)

Cooling- Swiftech H220. And as many fans as I can fit in my case wink.gif

Case-Corsair graphite 600t.

aaand that's about it for now! I've noticed a few minor issues concerning fan speed control. just curious if I should run the fans for my h220 on the same header, I want to minimize fan noise as much as possible once I get it up and running, but I also want to be able to increase fan speed as needed of course. Also curious as to whether I should flash to the newest BIOS as soon as I'm finished building my rig? any and all input is welcome smile.gif I'll have pictures of my build once I get started on it this weekend!

Looks like a nice rig! I WISH I could have the H220 instead of my H100i, but the stupid Asetek litigation is gumming up the works.

Instead of going on a vehement rant on the subject, I'll just :cry:

I'll have to use my H100i for awhile once i get my rig assembled, but I'm open to suggestions on a nice, simple replacement! Preferably one that will let me add a second loop for the board's stock CrossChill cooler. Needs to fit top-mounted 240mm radiator.
post #242 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion View Post

The WS falls under the ARS program, but that's only for the 1st year.
After the first year it is only eligible for the standard xship.

Regarding the confusion, IDK who you spoke with.

But Asus policy states only 1 active RMA for the product, meaning one of the boards has to be returned and the RMA closed before a 2nd RMA can be authorized.
The 2nd RMA would be processed as an AWT, this is the only circumstance when collateral in not necessary.

Has this been resolved or do you still need assistance?
Any board qualifies for advanced replacement, you have to provide collateral with an xship.
Unless it's an AWT like I mentioned earlier.

Well.....

1. It sure would be nice if we could determine which boards qualify for ARS and which don't....it's a feature that would definitely affect my purchasing decisions.

2. As for the RMA, they simply didn't know what to do ..... I offered to return the 2nd one and they said no. Problem was zero communication.....kept getting bumped from one person to another who approached the problem as if it was the 1st time anyone heard of it. In apologizing for the delay .... took 2 months .... they offered to pay for shipping both ways..... I wound up paying. I got bumped up the ladder tot he next level and got names of two senior people I should ask for but neither was ever available nor ever returned my calls / e-mails. I was also surprised that the e-mails were coming from Pegatron.com .... a name I normally associate with Asrock.

3. No, thanks but I don't need any help..... it did make for a lousy XMas morning as my son had 8 or 9 new games as Xmas presents that he couldn't play ..... yes, I was assured several times that it would be there in time.

sent ya a PM
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #243 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

Well.....

1. It sure would be nice if we could determine which boards qualify for ARS and which don't....it's a feature that would definitely affect my purchasing decisions.

2. As for the RMA, they simply didn't know what to do ..... I offered to return the 2nd one and they said no. Problem was zero communication.....kept getting bumped from one person to another who approached the problem as if it was the 1st time anyone heard of it. In apologizing for the delay .... took 2 months .... they offered to pay for shipping both ways..... I wound up paying. I got bumped up the ladder tot he next level and got names of two senior people I should ask for but neither was ever available nor ever returned my calls / e-mails. I was also surprised that the e-mails were coming from Pegatron.com .... a name I normally associate with Asrock.

3. No, thanks but I don't need any help..... it did make for a lousy XMas morning as my son had 8 or 9 new games as Xmas presents that he couldn't play ..... yes, I was assured several times that it would be there in time.

sent ya a PM

Pegatron is actually the parent company and OEM provider for Asus boards to machine builders. ASRock is a sister/daughter/off-shoot company of asus/pegatron aimed originally at more budget minded builders. ASRock is now the third highest grossing motherboard maker in the world.
post #244 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post

Hey all! was looking through the posts in this thread and thought I would join in! I'm making the switch from AMD back to Intel (had a bad experience with my first Intel build) my phenom ii is getting dated so I figured it was time to move onto bigger and better things biggrin.gif so I guess I'll start with my parts list before I drop a few questions on you guys.


CPU-Intel Core i7 4770k

Mobo-Asus Maximus vi Formula

Ram-G-Skill Trident-X 8gb 2400mhz

PSU-Corsair professional series HX750

GPU-2x Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce SLI.

SSD-Intel 530 series 120gb

HDD-2x WD Black 1TB in RAID-0 (games)
-2x WD Green 2TB (storage)

Cooling- Swiftech H220. And as many fans as I can fit in my case wink.gif

Case-Corsair graphite 600t.

aaand that's about it for now! I've noticed a few minor issues concerning fan speed control. just curious if I should run the fans for my h220 on the same header, I want to minimize fan noise as much as possible once I get it up and running, but I also want to be able to increase fan speed as needed of course. Also curious as to whether I should flash to the newest BIOS as soon as I'm finished building my rig? any and all input is welcome smile.gif I'll have pictures of my build once I get started on it this weekend!

The Mushkin 2400 RAM (10-12-12-28) has better timings (Gskill is 10-12-12-31) but they real popular so grab em as soon as they pop in stock if ya want em.....matches RoG red nicely too.

Id suggest the HX850 ....remember ya have a pump to power too.

Consider the MSI gaming N series....same exact specs as WindForce and wins by a hair in most comparisons. It's also a much better color match with RoG color scheme. Tho since ya bereaking into water cooling, might wanna consider the new Poseidon.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_gtx_780_poseidon_platinum_review,26.html


The Black has passed it's prime .... I use Seagate SSHDs (Hybrid SSD/HD) most of the time but when I don't I use the 7200.14 which is 30% faster than the Black

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/desktop-hdd.15-st4000dm000-4tb,3494-3.html

RAID 0 is great for competitive benchmarking but does nothing for you in games ..... peeps been chasing that holy grail for over a dozen years and no one has found it. ....I had my system set up with two 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and the two SSHDs in RAID 1..... disabled both after a month. If interested I can scrape up an old posts / tests from years ago on that topic.

The H220 is a far better choice than any AIO and is expandable to add more blocks later...... ya might wanna take a look at an XSPC kit too.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20837/ex-wat-261/XSPC_Raystorm_AX240_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_D5_Variant_Pump_Included_and_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=c321s1310b49
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #245 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

Pegatron is actually the parent company and OEM provider for Asus boards to machine builders. ASRock is a sister/daughter/off-shoot company of asus/pegatron aimed originally at more budget minded builders. ASRock is now the third highest grossing motherboard maker in the world.

Yes I knew that to be the case *originally*...... Both names originate with Pegasus, the mythic Greek Horse (Clash of the Titans) ..... 1st half of Pegasus is 1st half of Pegatron .... 2nd half is well...simply Asus .... Ted Hsu is / was a prominent figure in both. However it was my understanding that they separated into 3 separate companies in 2007 or so ... and I recall reading that they spun off Pegatron completely 3 or 4 years ago.

It had been widely reported that the original reason Asus spun off Asrock was to do exactly what you said ....provide an outlet to sell to the low cost system builder market w/o tarnishing Asus' enthusiast reputation. Back then, Asrock was strictly a low cost provider but once the strings were cut from Asus, they took the same approach as GSkill did originally building market share by always being less expensive and then slowly widening their focus and targeting the higher quality market....so now they directly compete with Asus in the enthusiast space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegatron

In addition to the corporate history, I find this notation interesting

"Pegatron, unlike ASUS, doesn't provide any support to their product on their website, like drivers updates."

When I buy an Asus product with that cost premium, I expect that to account for something.....being handed off to "mass market Pegatron" is not something I am enthused about .... Not sure why Asus saw this association with the low cost mass builder market as tarnishing to their reputation then and not now. I am reminded of Alienware ..... being a Dell subsidiary certainly hasn't helped their image.

Waiting two + months for a MoBo replacement somehow seems more "understandable" dealing with Pegatron..... an entity serving the low budget / low margin mass market than it does with an "enthusiast" brand like Asus, especially with their hi end Workstation boards.
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #246 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

The Mushkin 2400 RAM (10-12-12-28) has better timings (Gskill is 10-12-12-31) but they real popular so grab em as soon as they pop in stock if ya want em.....matches RoG red nicely too.

Id suggest the HX850 ....remember ya have a pump to power too.

Consider the MSI gaming N series....same exact specs as WindForce and wins by a hair in most comparisons. It's also a much better color match with RoG color scheme. Tho since ya bereaking into water cooling, might wanna consider the new Poseidon.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_gtx_780_poseidon_platinum_review,26.html


The Black has passed it's prime .... I use Seagate SSHDs (Hybrid SSD/HD) most of the time but when I don't I use the 7200.14 which is 30% faster than the Black

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/desktop-hdd.15-st4000dm000-4tb,3494-3.html

RAID 0 is great for competitive benchmarking but does nothing for you in games ..... peeps been chasing that holy grail for over a dozen years and no one has found it. ....I had my system set up with two 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and the two SSHDs in RAID 1..... disabled both after a month. If interested I can scrape up an old posts / tests from years ago on that topic.

The H220 is a far better choice than any AIO and is expandable to add more blocks later...... ya might wanna take a look at an XSPC kit too.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20837/ex-wat-261/XSPC_Raystorm_AX240_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_D5_Variant_Pump_Included_and_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=c321s1310b49



Thanks for the input =) I may grab a few SSHD's when I get a chance, as far as the blacks go, they were on sale at the time of purchase, got a decent deal on them so I'm content with those for now. Unfortunately at the time of my post I had already ordered and paid for all of the components I listed, so I can't really change any of the choices I made tongue.gif I did want to get my hands on the Mushkin kit but they were sold out at the time (go figure, eh? tongue.gif ) I looked into Raiding the blacks for games and it seems you're right, there's no substantial performance increase so I may as well run them individually and use that extra TB of space. I should be fine with the HX750 for the time being but once I get my rig built ill test the total power draw with my multimeter, if it seems a bit close to maxing it then I'll definitely go for a bigger one. And I agree on the comment about the H220, it's a very nice AIO for the price, and being expandable was very appealing to me, though if I do add on to it I would only be running a loop to the motherboards chipset, though I've seen mixed input as far as using the crosschill block goes so I may hold off on that until I see more feedback from others who have already tried.
XaphanII
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k Asus Maximus Vi Formula Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce (Second one coming s...  8Gb G-Skill Trident-X 2400 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 530 series 120GB SSD. WD Black 1Tb x 2 Seagate barracuda 2Tb Swiftech H220 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 32" HD Tv Logitech G11 Corsair HX 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 600t Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500's + integrated home audio. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x 4 965 BE @ 3.8 1.42v Crosshair III Formula NB @ 2700 mhz HD 5770 Vapor-x Corsair XMS 3 4GB 1600 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel X-25 40 Gig SSD(OS) 2x1TB WD Black in Raid-0 LG Multi Dvd-R Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
21.5" Samsung 2243SWX + 19" sony CRT dualview Razer Lycosa Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500 / Steelseries Sibera V2 
  hide details  
Reply
XaphanII
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k Asus Maximus Vi Formula Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce (Second one coming s...  8Gb G-Skill Trident-X 2400 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 530 series 120GB SSD. WD Black 1Tb x 2 Seagate barracuda 2Tb Swiftech H220 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 32" HD Tv Logitech G11 Corsair HX 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 600t Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500's + integrated home audio. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x 4 965 BE @ 3.8 1.42v Crosshair III Formula NB @ 2700 mhz HD 5770 Vapor-x Corsair XMS 3 4GB 1600 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel X-25 40 Gig SSD(OS) 2x1TB WD Black in Raid-0 LG Multi Dvd-R Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
21.5" Samsung 2243SWX + 19" sony CRT dualview Razer Lycosa Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500 / Steelseries Sibera V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #247 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

Yes I knew that to be the case *originally*...... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Both names originate with Pegasus, the mythic Greek Horse (Clash of the Titans) ..... 1st half of Pegasus is 1st half of Pegatron .... 2nd half is well...simply Asus .... Ted Hsu is / was a prominent figure in both. However it was my understanding that they separated into 3 separate companies in 2007 or so ... and I recall reading that they spun off Pegatron completely 3 or 4 years ago.

It had been widely reported that the original reason Asus spun off Asrock was to do exactly what you said ....provide an outlet to sell to the low cost system builder market w/o tarnishing Asus' enthusiast reputation. Back then, Asrock was strictly a low cost provider but once the strings were cut from Asus, they took the same approach as GSkill did originally building market share by always being less expensive and then slowly widening their focus and targeting the higher quality market....so now they directly compete with Asus in the enthusiast space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegatron

In addition to the corporate history, I find this notation interesting

"Pegatron, unlike ASUS, doesn't provide any support to their product on their website, like drivers updates."

When I buy an Asus product with that cost premium, I expect that to account for something.....being handed off to "mass market Pegatron" is not something I am enthused about .... Not sure why Asus saw this association with the low cost mass builder market as tarnishing to their reputation then and not now. I am reminded of Alienware ..... being a Dell subsidiary certainly hasn't helped their image.

Waiting two + months for a MoBo replacement somehow seems more "understandable" dealing with Pegatron..... an entity serving the low budget / low margin mass market than it does with an "enthusiast" brand like Asus, especially with their hi end Workstation boards.

Sadly, having owned 3 generations of Asus' WS boards, and had major problems with all 3, and having to deal with what I consider to be the electronics industries worst RMA/customer service, I've concluded that Asus treats the WS boards like a red headed stepchild, the realize that most users of the WS boards are folks who for whatever reason didn't want to buy the ROG board equivalent (usually price vs features included, at least in my case it was), and couldn't get the feature set in a "mainstream" board. They are the least supported boards with regards to driver and bios updates, and are one of the lowest selling number-wise for asus. I've stayed away from Asus after my WS debacle with them, but I couldn't pass up the M6F as it was a freebie from a wholesaler I buy from. If I were buying it with my own money, I would have bought the ASRock Z87 Extreme 9 or Z87 OC Formula. Just my thoughts.
post #248 of 945
As my case H440 is about to be shipped (do I actually dare to say so?) I start to think about the praacticalities of putting the rig together. I am (was) planing to use the Asus fan control and attach fans to the mobo so started reading the manual. It's not very detailed to say the least so did some (probably bad) googling with no good results so now turn to all the friendly experts in this forum. smile.gif

1. CPU Fan is PWM so far all fine. The CPU Opt Fan connector is also PWM but can't be controlled can it? Or am I right in assuming all opt fan connectors get the same output as it non-opt counterpart?
2. Most case fans are 3-pin non-pwm fans so I thought the case fan connectors could somehow control the output voltage but that's not the case is it? Am I right in assuming I have to get PWM fans for the case in order to make full use of the M6F fan control feature?
3. I read that the CPU fan controller could provide a total of 1A but couldn't find any numbers for the other conectors. Anyone know if they're all 1A each?
4. Finally a curiousity question, how cam fan providers provide 3-to-4 pin adapters? The 3 pin fan connector fits fine on the 4-pin mobo doesn't it?

Cheers!
post #249 of 945
So i have a but of a conundrum I was hoping to get some input on. It was suggested that I get a bigger PSU for my new build, which I agree with after seeing seeing the minimum requirement requirement for just one gtx 770. seeing as I'm going to be running two of them I don't think my hx 750 is going to cut it. However, I work a few thousand miles from home and am only home for a week at at time, I've been really looking forward to building my new system, I only have one of my 770's at the moment so I should be fine with the PSU I have atm. But I'll have to hold out on the the second 770 until I get a bigger PSU. Unfortunately none of the local retailers where I live have any decent PSU's in stock, and even if I order one from ncix, it won't be here before it fly back to work. The only one I found in my area is a cooler master silent pro 1000 watt. I'm not a big fan of cooler master power supplies though. so I'm wondering if I should just get that for the time being so if can run both cards. or should i run a single 770 with my HX750 until I get a bigger corsair PSU. money isn't an issue so I don't mind going out and buying the silent pro even if I'm only going to be using it for and few weeks. I just dont want to risk under powering my new system. so...opinions? single 770 with the HX750? or get the 1000 watt silent pro to run both cards with.
XaphanII
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k Asus Maximus Vi Formula Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce (Second one coming s...  8Gb G-Skill Trident-X 2400 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 530 series 120GB SSD. WD Black 1Tb x 2 Seagate barracuda 2Tb Swiftech H220 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 32" HD Tv Logitech G11 Corsair HX 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 600t Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500's + integrated home audio. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x 4 965 BE @ 3.8 1.42v Crosshair III Formula NB @ 2700 mhz HD 5770 Vapor-x Corsair XMS 3 4GB 1600 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel X-25 40 Gig SSD(OS) 2x1TB WD Black in Raid-0 LG Multi Dvd-R Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
21.5" Samsung 2243SWX + 19" sony CRT dualview Razer Lycosa Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500 / Steelseries Sibera V2 
  hide details  
Reply
XaphanII
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k Asus Maximus Vi Formula Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce (Second one coming s...  8Gb G-Skill Trident-X 2400 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 530 series 120GB SSD. WD Black 1Tb x 2 Seagate barracuda 2Tb Swiftech H220 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium Samsung 32" HD Tv Logitech G11 Corsair HX 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 600t Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500's + integrated home audio. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x 4 965 BE @ 3.8 1.42v Crosshair III Formula NB @ 2700 mhz HD 5770 Vapor-x Corsair XMS 3 4GB 1600 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel X-25 40 Gig SSD(OS) 2x1TB WD Black in Raid-0 LG Multi Dvd-R Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
21.5" Samsung 2243SWX + 19" sony CRT dualview Razer Lycosa Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Logitech Z5500 / Steelseries Sibera V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #250 of 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post

So i have a but of a conundrum I was hoping to get some input on. It was suggested that I get a bigger PSU for my new build, which I agree with after seeing seeing the minimum requirement requirement for just one gtx 770. seeing as I'm going to be running two of them I don't think my hx 750 is going to cut it. However, I work a few thousand miles from home and am only home for a week at at time, I've been really looking forward to building my new system, I only have one of my 770's at the moment so I should be fine with the PSU I have atm. But I'll have to hold out on the the second 770 until I get a bigger PSU. Unfortunately none of the local retailers where I live have any decent PSU's in stock, and even if I order one from ncix, it won't be here before it fly back to work. The only one I found in my area is a cooler master silent pro 1000 watt. I'm not a big fan of cooler master power supplies though. so I'm wondering if I should just get that for the time being so if can run both cards. or should i run a single 770 with my HX750 until I get a bigger corsair PSU. money isn't an issue so I don't mind going out and buying the silent pro even if I'm only going to be using it for and few weeks. I just dont want to risk under powering my new system. so...opinions? single 770 with the HX750? or get the 1000 watt silent pro to run both cards with.

I don't see why you need more than a 750 for 770 SLI. I have 780 Ti SLI on an AX860i and have played games for hours on end at ultra settings with no problems.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASUS Maximus VI Formula Owners Club