Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [kitguru] Aerocool DS Dead Silence Fan (120mm and 140mm)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[kitguru] Aerocool DS Dead Silence Fan (120mm and 140mm) - Page 13  

post #121 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode71 View Post

Noctua's are ugly, overpriced and makes annoying wind and mechanical noise.

Facepalm worthy material there.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @4.7ghz(1.39v) 24/7 +D14 Asus P8Z77-V Sapphire R9 290 Tri X @1160/1600 8GB HyperX @2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue EZEX 1TB & Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) Asus Nocuta NH D14 WIN 7 64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC 2490wuxi (rev 1) Logitech Wave Cooler Master Vanguard 850W Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G5 Cooler Master Xonar STX+ HD595 
  hide details  
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @4.7ghz(1.39v) 24/7 +D14 Asus P8Z77-V Sapphire R9 290 Tri X @1160/1600 8GB HyperX @2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue EZEX 1TB & Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) Asus Nocuta NH D14 WIN 7 64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC 2490wuxi (rev 1) Logitech Wave Cooler Master Vanguard 850W Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G5 Cooler Master Xonar STX+ HD595 
  hide details  
post #122 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyside View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode71 View Post

Noctua's are ugly, overpriced and makes annoying wind and mechanical noise.

Facepalm worthy material there.

Couldn't be any closer to the truth. He obviously has not owned a Noctua product before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Now can anyone suggest me a good fan controller I should use, I'm using the Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green Case by the way, if you wanted to know.

I'm thinking of using this fan controller: Phobya UltraGuide 10 Controller 5.25in Single Bay, I can live with 1 3 pin fan connected to motherboard lol.

Sunbeamtech Rheosmart 6. Amazing fan controller.
Edited by bigkahuna360 - 3/12/14 at 4:32am
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
post #123 of 425
Yeah, they're amazing indeed, automatic fan control with motherboard temperature sensor, I think I'll buy two of these If i can find anyone that sells these in Australia.
Gaming Computer
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Asustek P5Q-PRO Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Kingston DDR2 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1 TB Pioneer Noctua NH-U9B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell Monitor Logitech G110 Antec 750W Thermaltake Aluminium Old Case 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse Generic Mousepad Soundblaster 5.1 VX 
  hide details  
Gaming Computer
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Asustek P5Q-PRO Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Kingston DDR2 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1 TB Pioneer Noctua NH-U9B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell Monitor Logitech G110 Antec 750W Thermaltake Aluminium Old Case 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse Generic Mousepad Soundblaster 5.1 VX 
  hide details  
post #124 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

Couldn't be any closer to the truth. He obviously has not owned a Noctua product before.

You obviously missed my earlier post. The fact is, many people I spoke to on various forums only hold armchair knowledge and close to no experience with PC case fans, many only had experience with a handful of fans, heck, some only experienced 1 type of fan (bearing) from 1 company and they pretend to know all, be all.

I own a Lian Li PC-P80N and had to replace all the 140mm fans in my case, that's 5x 140mm fans and 1x 120mm rear exhaust. Just case fans alone cost me $150 on top of the cost of the case ($400) AND that's not counting another 2x 120mm CPU fans and another 120mm mid-case for the video card for a total of 9 fans for a total of $225. How many people do you know, personally, that's willing to drop that kind of money on fans alone? Your 200mm and 230mm fans on your HAF X cost half as much as my 120mm fans and lacks static pressure, it just there spinning wasting energy without providing any real cooling benefit.

You can bet your behind I tried Noctua fans (specifically NF-A14 PWM and NF-F12 PWM), and in all honestly they're not as great as many claim them to be. Horrible motor and wind noise, and it moves much less air (static pressure wise) than my GELIDs.

Many people are fooled by Noctua's fancy packaging, 6 year warranty, and all the tiny little features they added that somehow magically aids in better cooling. It's like buying a motherboard with 20 SATA ports when all you need is 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Are the GELID Silent 14 140mm Silent Fan and GELID Silent 12 120mm Silent Fan as good as the GELID's you've mentioned?

Their all 3 Pin fan headers/connectors right? Looks like I need to buy myself a fan controller now. I'm also getting these fans as well, their quiet and good static pressure right? Going to buy 4x 140MM and 7x 120MM to replace all my case fans and the fans on my waterblock radiator.

Here's the GELID fans I am referring to:

Now can anyone suggest me a good fan controller I should use, I'm using the Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green Case by the way, if you wanted to know.

I'm thinking of using this fan controller: Phobya UltraGuide 10 Controller 5.25in Single Bay, I can live with 1 3 pin fan connected to motherboard lol.

No, the GELID WING 12 PL 120mm fan I'm referring to is a PWM fan and the 140mm fan is this one here, both utilizes Nanoflux Bearing (NFB). The GELID fans you linked uses hydro bearings, which is why they're so much cheaper.

Regarding fan controllers it all depends which style you like and how much you're willing to spend, for me I had to go with "slide type" fan controllers because my case has a door and controllers with knobs will not fit. I started with Bitfenix's Hydra Pro and found it to cause fan whine when adjusting fan speeds. I switched to NZXT's Sentry Mix 2 that does not exhibit this whine.

For fan controllers with knobs or switches, I would go with Lamptron.
post #125 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode71 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

Couldn't be any closer to the truth. He obviously has not owned a Noctua product before.

You obviously missed my earlier post. The fact is, many people I spoke to on various forums only hold armchair knowledge and close to no experience with PC case fans, many only had experience with a handful of fans, heck, some only experienced 1 type of fan (bearing) from 1 company and they pretend to know all, be all.

I own a Lian Li PC-P80N and had to replace all the 140mm fans in my case, that's 5x 140mm fans and 1x 120mm rear exhaust. Just case fans alone cost me $150 on top of the cost of the case ($400) AND that's not counting another 2x 120mm CPU fans and another 120mm mid-case for the video card for a total of 9 fans for a total of $225. How many people do you know, personally, that's willing to drop that kind of money on fans alone? Your 200mm and 230mm fans on your HAF X cost half as much as my 120mm fans and lacks static pressure, it just there spinning wasting energy without providing any real cooling benefit.

You can bet your behind I tried Noctua fans (specifically NF-A14 PWM and NF-F12 PWM), and in all honestly they're not as great as many claim them to be. Horrible motor and wind noise, and it moves much less air (static pressure wise) than my GELIDs.

Many people are fooled by Noctua's fancy packaging, 6 year warranty, and all the tiny little features they added that somehow magically aids in better cooling. It's like buying a motherboard with 20 SATA ports when all you need is 2.

I did indeed miss your original post. I don't read through all the comments anymore. Not enough time in my day to do everything I want to. I know I don't hold all the knowledge about fans, but I own 4x NF-P12 PWMs and they really have blown all the other fans I've bought out of the water. (I'm one of those guys to blow hundreds on pointless things like case fans (yes I said pointless because in my case, they are, pun not intended). I don't know how other Noctua fans compare, but these are near silent and they push a good amount of air. I've tried sleeved bearing, ball bearing, and now this SSO bearing (is it just a proprietary FDB?). Are you buying stuff like San Aces or Delta fans? My Megaflow 200's are $17-20, depending on where you buy them, a piece.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
post #126 of 425
Barcode71 have you ever tried Scythe GT fans? How to they compare to the Gelid fans?
Buff Hamster
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K @ 4.2Ghz  ASrock X99 Extreme 4  Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2. 5TB Toshiba 7200RPM  LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray Combo  Cryorig R1 Ultimate 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Enterprise 64 Bit Dell U2713H Deck Hassium Blue LED Cherry MX Red + Ducky lea...  EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Platinum 1200W  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone FT02 USB3.0 Mionix Naos 7000 Artisan Hayate MID Japan Black Large Luxman DA-100 + Audioengine N22 + Tara labs Vec... 
AudioAudioOther
Goodmans Maxim + SVS SB2000 Subwoofer  Grado PS1000 / Beyerdynamic DT990 Blue Yeti Microphone 
  hide details  
Buff Hamster
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K @ 4.2Ghz  ASrock X99 Extreme 4  Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2. 5TB Toshiba 7200RPM  LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray Combo  Cryorig R1 Ultimate 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Enterprise 64 Bit Dell U2713H Deck Hassium Blue LED Cherry MX Red + Ducky lea...  EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Platinum 1200W  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone FT02 USB3.0 Mionix Naos 7000 Artisan Hayate MID Japan Black Large Luxman DA-100 + Audioengine N22 + Tara labs Vec... 
AudioAudioOther
Goodmans Maxim + SVS SB2000 Subwoofer  Grado PS1000 / Beyerdynamic DT990 Blue Yeti Microphone 
  hide details  
post #127 of 425
For what it's worth, with respect to Gelid Wing, non-PWM version (same blade / bearings design) was reviewed by SPCR, and it turned to be below average in terms of performance on a heatsink:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page6.html

Relatively very good acoustics though. As always, there can be differences in samples and performance in different environments.
post #128 of 425
I've actually been looking for fans recently because I may want to replace my case fans soon (all S-FLEX E's at 7v).
If I'm being completely honest, I swear the Scythe's are pushing more air (and with less noise) than my Noctuas.

And I'm not trying to knock Noctua (considering I've been happy with the P12 and P14), but it does make me wonder if I tried something else on my D14 (e.g. TY-14X, or say Gelids).

Anyway - not something that's a super priority, but will probably look into more into the spring/summer.
Main
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K @ 4.7Ghz [1.284v] Z87X-UD4H [F7] MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 2x4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3; 10-10-10-28 @ 2133Mhz [... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 1x Crucial M500 960GB 1x WD4003FZEX 1x WD30EFRX 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NH-D14 3x A15s @ 600RPM 2x Phanteks F140SP BBK (front), SFF21E (bottom) Win 10 Pro x64 Catleap 2B @ 119hz +1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
U3014 eVGA 750G2 Fractal R5 - Blackout Edition MS WMO 1.1a 
Mouse PadAudio
fUnc 1030 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Main
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K @ 4.7Ghz [1.284v] Z87X-UD4H [F7] MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 2x4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3; 10-10-10-28 @ 2133Mhz [... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 1x Crucial M500 960GB 1x WD4003FZEX 1x WD30EFRX 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NH-D14 3x A15s @ 600RPM 2x Phanteks F140SP BBK (front), SFF21E (bottom) Win 10 Pro x64 Catleap 2B @ 119hz +1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
U3014 eVGA 750G2 Fractal R5 - Blackout Edition MS WMO 1.1a 
Mouse PadAudio
fUnc 1030 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
post #129 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicase View Post

Barcode71 have you ever tried Scythe GT fans? How to they compare to the Gelid fans?

Depends on which Scythe GT and GELID fans you're referring to. I only compare apples to apples, meaning both fans have to have similar RPMs. I tried the AP-15 (1850rpm), AP-45 (2150rpm) and GELID's PWM Wing 12 PL (1800rpm). The AP-45 matches the GELID PWM in static pressure, but at a 350rpm difference and much higher noise level. The pressure on the AP-15 feels noticeably less than the GELID PWM, not surprising since the sp rating on the AP-15 is 0.081inH2O or 2.05mmAq (0.081 * 25.4).

I kept my search for 120mm narrow. I focused on fans between 1500rpm - 2000rpm (+-200rpm) or had a very good static pressure rating (2.0+). Here are all the brands I've sample before settling with GELID's PWM, keep in mind that I had strong preference towards the AP-15 and Noctuas since so many people rave about them on forums, but in the end I can't deny the science.

Noiseblocker M12-P, Cougar CF-V12HP, Noctua NF-F12 PWM, GELID Wing 12 PL, Scythe AP-15 & AP-45 and bequiet! SW1 (2200rpm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

I did indeed miss your original post. I don't read through all the comments anymore. Not enough time in my day to do everything I want to. I know I don't hold all the knowledge about fans, but I own 4x NF-P12 PWMs and they really have blown all the other fans I've bought out of the water. (I'm one of those guys to blow hundreds on pointless things like case fans (yes I said pointless because in my case, they are, pun not intended). I don't know how other Noctua fans compare, but these are near silent and they push a good amount of air. I've tried sleeved bearing, ball bearing, and now this SSO bearing (is it just a proprietary FDB?). Are you buying stuff like San Aces or Delta fans? My Megaflow 200's are $17-20, depending on where you buy them, a piece.

I can't help but to question the legitimacy of your claims of "blowing 100s of $$$ on case fans" when you fail to come up with a specific amount because normally when people are making stuff up they unconsciously use very broad and general terms like "100s of dollars". Few other things I find questionable is how you claim to spend 100s of $$$ on case fans when your case is only worth $160. And how did you acquire your volume license key for Windows 7 Enterprise? Do you own a business with over 250 PCs?

San Aces and Delta? Ummm, my whole discussion so far has been about noise, why would any noise conscious person use server grade fans? kookoo.gif
The noise on those are unbearable unless you have your setup where the tower is in another room, but since you brought it up, I never experienced San Ace fans but I did try 2x Delta TFB1212GHE 120x38mm just for giggles, because 26.44mmAq of static pressure was just too tempting not to try, not to mention the sound of two 4600rpm fans on full blast.

Don't mean to belittle 200mm+ size fans, but they do virtually next to nothing other than waste electricity while inefficiently occupying space they're mounted on. The current state of giant size case fans are aesthetics and does next to nothing in terms of cooling. However, if they made a 200mm x 50mm intake fan @ 1600rpm then we'd see some real performance, but until then……
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post

For what it's worth, with respect to Gelid Wing, non-PWM version (same blade / bearings design) was reviewed by SPCR, and it turned to be below average in terms of performance on a heatsink:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page6.html

Relatively very good acoustics though. As always, there can be differences in samples and performance in different environments.

The non-PWM version is a waste of time if you're planning to use it on a heatsink. The PWM version spins 300rpm higher at 1800rpm and has a static pressure of 2.66mmAq vs 1500rpm version with 1.925mmAq. That's quite significant difference in static pressure and when it comes to heatsinks and radiators, it's all about static pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav451 View Post

I've actually been looking for fans recently because I may want to replace my case fans soon (all S-FLEX E's at 7v).
If I'm being completely honest, I swear the Scythe's are pushing more air (and with less noise) than my Noctuas.

If you're referring to the AP-15 then the fact is, they are pushing more air. Mainly because the GT series uses a heavier blade vs other case fans.
Edited by barcode71 - 3/15/14 at 12:46am
post #130 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode71 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

I did indeed miss your original post. I don't read through all the comments anymore. Not enough time in my day to do everything I want to. I know I don't hold all the knowledge about fans, but I own 4x NF-P12 PWMs and they really have blown all the other fans I've bought out of the water. (I'm one of those guys to blow hundreds on pointless things like case fans (yes I said pointless because in my case, they are, pun not intended). I don't know how other Noctua fans compare, but these are near silent and they push a good amount of air. I've tried sleeved bearing, ball bearing, and now this SSO bearing (is it just a proprietary FDB?). Are you buying stuff like San Aces or Delta fans? My Megaflow 200's are $17-20, depending on where you buy them, a piece.

I can't help but to question the legitimacy of your claims of "blowing 100s of $$$ on case fans" when you fail to come up with a specific amount because normally when people are making stuff up they unconsciously use very broad and general terms like "100s of dollars". Few other things I find questionable is how you claim to spend 100s of $$$ on case fans when your case is only worth $160. And how did you acquire your volume license key for Windows 7 Enterprise? Do you own a business with over 250 PCs?

San Aces and Delta? Ummm, my whole discussion so far has been about noise, why would any noise conscious person use server grade fans? kookoo.gif
The noise on those are unbearable unless you have your setup where the tower is in another room, but since you brought it up, I never experienced San Ace fans but I did try 2x Delta TFB1212GHE 120x38mm just for giggles, because 26.44mmAq of static pressure was just too tempting not to try, not to mention the sound of two 4600rpm fans on full blast.

Don't mean to belittle 200mm+ size fans, but they do virtually next to nothing other than waste electricity while inefficiently occupying space they're mounted on. The current state of giant size case fans are aesthetics and does next to nothing in terms of cooling. However, if they made a 200mm x 50mm intake fan @ 1600rpm then we'd see some real performance, but until then……

Woah there, calm down man. I say I've blown hundreds because I used to watercool. I had a 360mm, a 240mm, and a 400mm rad. Fans add up if you try and experiment with a 360mm. Noctuas are ~$22-25, Corsair SP120s are ~$15, Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm's are ~$20, Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM's were $20 when I bought four of them, and Scythe Slipstream's (SY1225SL12LM-P) were about $15 when I bought them. This also isn't my first case. I've owned a CM 690 II Advanced, This HAF X, a Xigmatek Elysium, and a Bitfenix Prodigy.

I was hired by my highscool because I managed to brute force the admin password. They kicked me out for two weeks and offered me a job that following summer. While being there I asked if he could generate me a key (small town highschool and he and I were already friends) and voila. I don't know how this even pertains to the conversation though?

When I asked if you were buying San Aces and Deltas, it was in response to this.
Quote:
Your 200mm and 230mm fans on your HAF X cost half as much as my 120mm fans
You were claiming you were spending twice as much on a 120mm, which is kinda sad if you're not paying for a San Ace or a Delta since you'd been ripped off quite a bit.

I've been curious to try Deltas on my old fan controller before I sold it, but I wasn't willing to spend another $200 on more fans since when I try to sell them, I walk away with around only 65% of what I paid.

And these little 200mm's, though they may spin slow, do push a good amount of air for their size and how quiet they are. They push enough to help cool my 680 and push air through a very restrictive hard drive cage.

Just because my current rig isn't as crazy as it used to be, doesn't mean I haven't been there and done that. tongue.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [kitguru] Aerocool DS Dead Silence Fan (120mm and 140mm)