Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [kitguru] Aerocool DS Dead Silence Fan (120mm and 140mm)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[kitguru] Aerocool DS Dead Silence Fan (120mm and 140mm) - Page 17  

post #161 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode71 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post

I am curious about tje gelid pwm fans mentioned and will buy one to compare.

Just make sure it's the WING 12 PL PWM and not their SILENT series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

I own a NF-P12 PWM and it is dead silent and pushes a good amount of air through a rad.

Sorry but that's just not true, besides no fan can be "dead silent" at full rpms, to say so is a lie. Noctua is a noisy fan if you're after silence. I'm not trying to discredit you but many buying decisions are made piggybacking on other people's opinions because people don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing a dozen fans from different companies and figuring it out themselves.

I tried 120mm/140mm fans from 6 different companies before drawing my conclusion on GELID. That's after I tried Scythe and Noctua FIRST because of the raving reviews here on this forum.

If you insist on saying Noctua is dead silent then your claim of not being a fanboy is false.

No, I'm pretty sure the Noctua fan I just plugged into my motherboard header after eliminating as much noise in my room was still dead silent. thumb.gif I'm not piggybacking my opinion off of anyone elses, I own NF-P12's and you can honestly not hear them. I even held it at an odd 45° angle since some fans like to make noise when they're not horizontal or vertical.

Stating actual experiences with a Noctua fan doesn't make me a fanboy. Saying that Noctua has the best fans in the world and your opinion is null would make me a fanboy.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ Nvidia GTX 970m 8GB's Micron DDR4 2133 Samsung SM951 256GB m.2 SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Seagate 500GB SHDD Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Soundblaster X-Fi 5 
  hide details  
post #162 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post

For info, these fans i mentioned are the finalists of a larger batch of fans i tested. Mainly 140mm. The fans that did not make it to the finals regarding noise and air pressure ratio are phanteks xp, hp, ts. Prolimatech blue vortex. Cougar vortex. Yate Loon(very noisy). Be quiet sw 120mm. Several noctuas 120mm.

Regarding the 120mm fans, I tested them by placing a filter on one side to see how they can pull air through the filter resistance. To simulate front fan intake which i intend to use the 120mm's for in my air 540 case.

Also by letting them blow on my hairy jaw is a good test for airflow smile.gif

Regarding the Gelid wings, i cant get the nano bearing version anywhere in Sweden so I will not be able to test it mad.gif

To add also, i have a Noiseblocker PL2 compard it with the other 120mm fans it is the worst. Sure it is probably the most quiet at 7v but there is no air pressure at all.

So in conclusion, i think the DS 140mm is the best 140mm fan out there for rad/case fan. Its combined noise, air pressure ratio is very good especially at 7v.

For the 120mm i will either go for DS again or the silverstone ap121.

In the absence of proper airflow testing equipment, the only proper way to validate your claims would be load temperatures for each fan.
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
post #163 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

In the absence of proper airflow testing equipment, the only proper way to validate your claims would be load temperatures for each fan.

That is most of the PC fans on the market then, almost all of the manufacturers lie about there specs.
post #164 of 425
I found some laser tachometers on ebay for $14 each.

Would those by accurate in measuring the speed of fans and wheels? Do you have to mark the fan blades in highly reflective stripes?
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
post #165 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

I found some laser tachometers on ebay for $14 each.

Would those by accurate in measuring the speed of fans and wheels? Do you have to mark the fan blades in highly reflective stripes?

Have a look at how Martins Liquid Labs or SPCR do it
post #166 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicase View Post

The fan is designed to be on a case/heatsink/radiator for cooling not a hand. That's why putting them on a heatsink will tell how good they really are.

LoL, you guys make this more complicated than it seems. The science is simple really. Fans with strong static pressure are better suited for rads and heatsinks because you want air to be pushed through and past the fins and fans that have no directional flow should not be used for rads and heatsinks. It's that simple. Don't know how you people can turn a measly computer case fan discussion into rocket science, with some going as far as using "proper testing equipment", lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

No, I'm pretty sure the Noctua fan I just plugged into my motherboard header after eliminating as much noise in my room was still dead silent. thumb.gif I'm not piggybacking my opinion off of anyone elses, I own NF-P12's and you can honestly not hear them. I even held it at an odd 45° angle since some fans like to make noise when they're not horizontal or vertical.

Like I said, no fan is "dead silent" to say so is a lie, the only time a fan is dead silent is when it's OFF. I think you don't know what the meaning of "dead silent" means. You're trying to tell people that Noctua fans sounds the same at FULL SPEED as when it's off? Hope you know how ridiculous that sounds.

Like I said, you lack the experience of various fans, your findings and purchase decision is based on others' opinions and since you overpaid for Noctuas you believe them to be the win all end all of case fans, such biased and narrow views should be taken with a grain of salt. If I was someone in the market for new case fans would I go with someone's opinion who based on biased subjective results or someone who has objective experience with multiple fans from various manufacturers? wink.gif
Edited by barcode71 - 3/18/14 at 2:37pm
post #167 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode71 View Post

LoL, you guys make this more complicated than it seems. The science is simple really. Fans with strong static pressure are better suited for rads and heatsinks because you want air to be pushed through and past the fins and fans that have no directional flow should not be used for rads and heatsinks. It's that simple. Don't know how you people can turn a measly computer case fan discussion into rocket science, with some going as far as using "proper testing equipment", lol
strong static pressure is also better for case fans that have to blow air through hard drive cages as well or that need to channel the air through an empty cage before it enters the component areas. Take the CMTrooper/Stryker for example, if the fans are configured to pull air into the case from the front it has a 6 inch cage to push that air through before it hits components, static pressure channels that air better to blow through the cage into the case.

I should also mention that any fan that has a filter on it has it's stats significantly dropped so having higher static pressure will help in this case as well.
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
post #168 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by benben84 View Post

strong static pressure is also better for case fans that have to blow air through hard drive cages as well or that need to channel the air through an empty cage before it enters the component areas. Take the CMTrooper/Stryker for example, if the fans are configured to pull air into the case from the front it has a 6 inch cage to push that air through before it hits components, static pressure channels that air better to blow through the cage into the case.

I should also mention that any fan that has a filter on it has it's stats significantly dropped so having higher static pressure will help in this case as well.

Exactly, and that's where design of case fans has headed, fans with good airflow AND static pressure. Especially with todays ITX and mATX cases, static pressure is more important than ever.

I will definitely gives these Aerocool fans a go when they become available on Newegg or Amazon.
post #169 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by benben84 View Post

strong static pressure is also better for case fans that have to blow air through hard drive cages as well or that need to channel the air through an empty cage before it enters the component areas. Take the CMTrooper/Stryker for example, if the fans are configured to pull air into the case from the front it has a 6 inch cage to push that air through before it hits components, static pressure channels that air better to blow through the cage into the case.

I should also mention that any fan that has a filter on it has it's stats significantly dropped so having higher static pressure will help in this case as well.

Get the aluminium fan filter http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=141962
It is great, very little restriction and good dust protection.
post #170 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post

Get the aluminium fan filter http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=141962
It is great, very little restriction and good dust protection.
Well most cases nowadays have built in filters, no need to change them out.
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [kitguru] Aerocool DS Dead Silence Fan (120mm and 140mm)